Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo ST220??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Bit of a drivers car but I wouldn't all the same.

You'll sell on a 3 series coupe a lot easier - and you do seem to change cars a lot! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,058 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

indeed, it actually looks pretty cool, but i dunno if i could get past the fact its a mondeo

and it could be a nightmare to sell over here, the 2.2 diesel st would be the better buy but more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

BMw will definately be easier to sell, but really I think you should get a car you hope to hold onto if going for a large capacity engine. Selling it will be tough regardless.

Go for a nice spec and a 325ci should keep you happy for nearly 2 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I will probably be labelled boring but I would also go for the ST TDCI (in fact I am planning to buy one soon enough). Fair enough its no where near as powerful as its petrol brother but its a damn site cheaper to run. The petrol ST V6 gets like less then 20 MPG and tax and insurance on it will be astronomical.

Fair enough if you are planning track days and such get the petrol for performance, but on Irish roads I'd take the diesel (nice bit of torque for pulling trailers too). Espceially with emissions based tax on the horizon. The only minus I've heard they can eat clutches if you don't take care with your gear changes.

The other downside is half leather instead of full leather but I'd get over it. I also like the fact that its a Mondeo and wouldn't be such a target for thieves.

• Advertisement

Steady on there now Wing!

Insurance astronomical? It's a Mondeo ST you're talking about now, not a Spider!

If the engine capacity is nearly the same as the diesel (quoted as 2.2 by someone here?) then so will be the tax.

Without points, being over 25 and a full NCB you should be able to insure an ST Mondeo for less than €1,000.

Also, for a lot of people, performance cars and towing trailers don't really go hand in hand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cyrus, the performance of the ST220 is pretty decent, a bit in the same fashion as your Golf. As long as you keep going in a straight line, you'll get the most from it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

big balls wrote:
    being over 25 and a full NCB
    . Not everyone has this luxury! Anyone here insured on the 3.0 liter V6? I suppose the insurance could clock in around the 1000 mark but keeping it in petrol certainly won't be cheap.

Wouldn't really class the ST TDCI as a 'performance' car, or most of the 3 series coupe (excluding the M3) for that matter. They are just good cars with decent performance.

Buy the way here is the ST TDCI discussion:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

unkel wrote:
    Cyrus, the performance of the ST220 is pretty decent, a bit in the same fashion as your Golf. As long as you keep going in a straight line, you'll get the most from it ;)

are you trying to imply it handles badly or suffers from torque steer

The MKIV GTI (which Cyrus has although his is remapped I think) does not suffer from torque steer - there isn't enough power!!

It does however, handle quite badly.

• Advertisement

so people are saying the st220 handles badly......I thought they were meant to handle quite well

I think whoever said it was talking more about bhp... Cyrus' car would be around the 200bhp mark - close to the ST.

Vegeta wrote:
    so people are saying the st220 handles badly......I thought they were meant to handle quite well

No, it handles very well. FWD isn't ideal with high powered cars, but I can't see it being an issue with the Mondeo.

My next car will also be a Mondeo ST TDCi. Very very happy with my Focus TDCi at the moment though!

You will get torque steer with almost any front wheel drive car, it should be very noticible on any Golf GTi.

maidhc wrote:
    should be very noticible on any Golf GTi.

I owned a MKIV one for over a year...slow as f*ck. :(

Just so we can see what we're working with here! 325ci & Mondeo ST 220.

425169_20060823030807_1.jpg
    808038184181.jpg

both nice cars but if it was just looks alone i'd take the mondeo (ducks to avoid thrown objects)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Vegeta wrote:
    are you trying to imply it handles badly

No, the ST220 3.0 is by all means a great drivers car. It's no match for the 330i though, or the 330d for that matter. And steering with the wheels that are driven is a compromise by definition...

Interesting proposition though to pick up a slightly older ST220 ('02 or '03) or import one from the UK. It would only cost a fraction of a same age BMW and you would get a hell of a lot of car. Crucial is to let someone else suffer the huge depreciation first though :D

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I would have the ST any day of the week a real drivers car and some really good performance, if I saw a ST go past me I would take notice unlike a 3 Series BMW which they are just two a penny nowadays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

an '02 WRX STI would be a better option than a 325ci or an ST220.

It would be a much better car all round but running costs would be much higher than the beemer or the mondeo.

Depends if you want comfort WITH performance..albeit raw performance with the STI.

The interior of the Scooby is not the best (I agree, who cares, that's not the point) but the coupe or the Mondeo will be far better cruisers.

What about an E36 M3?! Still quite a nice car if it was looked after.

mini10005138hq.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Cyrus wrote:
    im pretty much sold on a 3 series coupe but a mate told me to have a look at a modeo st220 from the uk. They are a nice car in performance blue and i could have a 02 here for about 17.5k i reckon, tax is gonna be high and id have to insure thro excess direct but it looks a nice car.

any opinions

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/msn/cars_search.asp?page=1&modelexact=1&partner=msn&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=FORD&model=MONDEO&variant=st220&keywords=&min_pr=75&max_pr=10000&mileage=0&agerange=0&postcode=bt13+1gb&miles=1500&max_records=50&source=0&photo=1&sort=5&ukcarsearch_full=FIND+IT+NOW%21

Audi S4 gone by the way side then? :D
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&maxrows=100&MakeID=2&xMakeID=2&ModelID=755&xModelID=755&Year=&xYear=&submit=Find+cars+%3E%3E

Bad pic, but notice the Blue one has gone down heavily pricewise. Im getting 19MPG on mine with 5min trip to work.. engine hasnt even warmed up. On the motorway, 35MPG (on average) is fairly doable.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

We have a st220 3.0l. Its an amazing car. Much more advanced and refined then the earlier st models. Its a dream to drive and is understated. Having worked for a car advertising company,then number of people who assume that because 'its a bmw' people will snap it up. this is never the case,unless you are willing to seriously take a hit on the price you thought you'd get. st220's are rare enough on irish roads,but a real enthusiasts car-which is pretty easy to sell.
    My 2c would be the mondeo. I dont think you'd regret it in the long run (well maybe the tax issue would put you off!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

wingnut wrote:
    Anyone here insured on the 3.0 liter V6?

Yup €600 (albeit diesel :D)
    maidhc wrote:
    BMw will definately be easier to sell,

I can never understand this Irish attitude of buying a car for the next owner. I buy what I like. I couldn't give a toss if it's worth nothing when I sell it.
    TCP/IP wrote:
    I would have the ST any day of the week a real drivers car and some really good performance, if I saw a ST go past me I would take notice unlike a 3 Series BMW which they are just two a penny nowadays

100% agree
    I think I'm going to vomit!

I can never understand this Irish attitude of buying a car for the next owner. I buy what I like. I couldn't give a toss if it's worth nothing when I sell it.

This is important for Cyrus, as he will probably be selling it... umm.. soon.

It isn't an Irish attitude either, most people have to live in the real world and consider the financial implications of their decisions. I'm not saying resalablity is the most important factor, but it is a factor which must be considered.

Incidentally my first car was a mondeo, which I got for the right money (the garage lost money on it... my parents had traded it in for substantially more...sat on forecourt for 9mths...long story) I bought it in the knowledge it would be worth nothing when I went to sell it on, but for me that was irrelevant. It is now worth nothing, but still going strong and my sister has it most of the time!

maidhc wrote:
    It isn't an Irish attitude either, most people have to live in the real world and consider the financial implications of their decisions. I'm not saying resalablity is the most important factor, but it is a factor which must be considered.

In my experience Irish people are more prone to worry about the resale value of their vehicles than any other country. Here, people buy a car that they don't particularly like because it has a good residual value.

e.g. Nissan Almera owners who always trade in after one year because they are told that their car will lose money if they hold on to it. WTF? show me any 'ordinary' car which does not lose money.

Or the seat cover brigade. They buy a new car having chosen the upholstery, then they hide it in horrible seat covers. If you ask them why, they say that they want to keep it's value for the trade-in. Sod that, I buy the car for me , not the next owner . I'm not going to go around in manky covers just for someone else to enjoy. Say no, to seat covers!

I never take into account the value of my existing car when buying a replacement. I consider what I get for it, if anything, to be a bonus.

Or the seat cover brigade. They buy a new car having chosen the upholstery, then they hide it in horrible seat covers. If you ask them why, they say that they want to keep it's value for the trade-in. Sod that, I buy the car for me , not the next owner . I'm not going to go around in manky covers just for someone else to enjoy. Say no, to seat covers!

I'm with you on that one!
    I never take into account the value of my existing car when buying a replacement. I consider what I get for it, if anything, to be a bonus.

A car is still an asset, albeit a depreciating one. I'd sooner drive a car into the ground or give it to a relative than offload it into the motor trade for half nothing (speaking of which, my father has my focus booked already...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

ST220 for me, Its Engine & Stunning looks just turn me on. The BMW is a very nice car too, but the ST220 just gets my vote here, So rare on our roads.

About the STi, I'd agree with anybody vomiting at the sight of it.. After all it is a raw performance car but really is appauling to look at. There would be ALOT more cars on my list before a subaru anyday.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

HungryJoey wrote:

About the STi, I'd agree with anybody vomiting at the sight of it.. After all it is a raw performance car but really is appauling to look at. There would be ALOT more cars on my list before a subaru anyday.

Hj

Have you driven one? They are an amazing car and so addictive. I agree the looks leave a lot to be desired but when you're inside the car it doesn't matter what it looks like. If I had the choice of getting a car that drove like that but looked like a pigs arse, I'd go for it no doubt about it.

And with regards to the OP, I'd go for the ST220 if you're thinking of a beemer below 2.5l. The traffic corps in North Tipp have one and I've heard some great stories about it. More unique than a standard 3-series and a lovely looking car too.

eljono wrote:
    The traffic corps in North Tipp have one .

There used to be a red (unmarked) one in the Louth/Meath division also. I was pulled over by a Garda in it at Monasterboice one night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Ya, this one was a red unmarked too with 18" multispoked wheels. Sweet looking car. Perhaps it's the same one???

Advertisement