Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo ST220??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

• Registered Users Posts: 20,058 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

if i bought one would have to be blue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BRM

There were a couple of these on track last bank holiday weekend, seemed fairly tidy in the bends able to keep up with most of the scoobys/S2000s out.

Evo Vii on the other hand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

eljono wrote:
    Ya, this one was a red unmarked too with 18" multispoked wheels. Sweet looking car. Perhaps it's the same one???

Yup - the one that pulled me had 18" multispoke wheels - beautiful car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

For anyone interested in importing an ST220 from the UK, VRT is about €5k on an '02, €6k on an '03, and €7.5k on an '04

@Kali, that's about €21k for a 3 year old car which cost about €50k new here in probably lower spec. Not bad going and indeed just about what a full SSIA is worth :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

If it was a choice between the mondeo and a 318ci or other such car then there is only one choice.. the ford.

However if you are looking at a performance saloon with comfort and running costs the mondeo is at the bottom of the pecking order. Especially for €22k. The only thing the mondeo has over its rivals is that it has better petrol consumption figures. The mondeo might be comfortable but its power figure for a 3L car is appalling if you ask me. 220bhp in a heavy car is poor for a supposed "drivers car" as someone said. If you can afford 22k for a car combined with 3L tax (1100 euro :eek: ) and insurance then the least you should worry about is 5mpg less in a much superior car. At the end of the day the mondeo isint the lap of luxury some would make out inside or out and its not an out and out performance machine either (there are faster 1.6L n/a cars out there).

As one of the lads mentioned earlier, id seriously consider an E36 M3, faster, better looking, more luxurious. The only downside is less mpg fuel wise and possibly more expensive insurance. But if youre worried about that then buy a 1.8L mondeo instead.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, cpoh1, but some people prefer relatively new cars for obvious reasons and would be uncomfortable in buying an older performance car. I.e. 3 year old Mondeo ST220 vs 8 year old M3 for similar money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

unkel wrote:
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying, cpoh1, but some people prefer relatively new cars for obvious reasons and would be uncomfortable in buying an older performance car. I.e. 3 year old Mondeo ST220 vs 8 year old M3 for similar money

Thats a fair point unkel :cool:

Ive always wondered why people are so obsessed with when a car has been made. A lot of newer cars have given me no indication that they are any more reliable than the older more trustworthy models out there.Just because a car is new doesnt mean it'll be any more reliable or keep its value better than an older car. I reckon an e36 m3 would hold its current value better than a 3 year old st220 if it was looked after.

cpoh1 wrote:
    people are so obsessed with when a car has been made

Isn't it just wonderful? Leaves us poor people with an excellent choice of great value for money cars. Mine's a 10 year old BMW with a V8 petrol engine BTW. Is has a telly too, but the car is nearly worthless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Leaves us poor people with an excellent choice of great value for money cars
    LOL :D Damn right it's wonderful. If everything is right next summer a Manual '99 Estoril Blue E36 M3 may be sitting on my drive. I had the opportunity this year but had to divert some of the new motor funds...

• Advertisement

Gatster wrote:
    next summer a Manual '99 Estoril Blue E36 may be sitting on my drive

I'm not an expert by any means, but isn't that colour reserved for Ms - you're getting an M3? :cool: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Hopefully, original post edited to include M3. Very few '99 coupe manuals about, may have to be a '98. It was THE car I wanted during the 90's and my old 323i coupe was probably the best car I've ever had. Doubt I'll be able to afford a 911 quite yet but a mint E36 M3 will do nicely :)

Advertisement