Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorcycle Mechanic Salary?

• 23-08-2006 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

What sort of wage does the adverage motorcycle mechanic bring home ? I'm thinking of leaving IT in the future and I'd like to know what sort of money I can expect if I was to become a fully trained mechanic.

Thanks
    K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I get charged 60Euro an hour for work on my bike, don't know how much the mechanic gets but if you worked for yourself there's no reason you can't charge similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

As an garage employee, I'd imagine you'd be lucky to get anywhere near that kind of money..

As a self-employed mechanic, you'd have huge overheads... Equipment, Insurance, rent on premises, rates, etc..

Depends on what area of IT your in, but I would expect you'd have to take a decent pay cut.. Have a look at the automotive recruitment sites to get an idea about salary ranges, but at the introductory level, I reckon you'd also be competing with a number of young eager talented individuals..

www.brompton.ie
    Jobs.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

yeah you would be looking at apprentice wages for a bit if you went to a garage & massive overheads if you went on your own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I reckon you'd also be competing with a number of young eager talented individuals..

Thats what I feared , I might give it a miss then.

I was going to apply for that course in Boltan St., but its a 3 year commitmant. My missus wasn't too keen on me doing it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I didn't mean to be a total harbinger of gloom...
    Anway, it's always good to keep your options open...

We will always have motors and motorcycles in this country, but we may not always have IT jobs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

KTRIC,
    As an garage employee, I make 350 a week but I'm just starting out...I used to work in IT and then the Irish film and multimedia sector previous to that. I'm nearly 40 and to be honest it's a labour of love working on motorbikes and scooters. I'm only driving a bike since 2003 and now I find it's my career, mainly because I had the interest and passion. As regards competing with a number of young eager talented individuals, I find that many young people don't like getting their hands dirty these days. :rolleyes: The Irish bike retail and repair market is very small, but still there will always bikes to be sold and fixed. (well until the petrol runs out or the EU boffins legislate us out of existance)

I have started doing my own nixers as well at weekends and the odd evening, and I find that much of my bike repair work I can choose and I get referrals and recommendations from previous customers which is very gratifing. So although the pay ain't great, I get fantastic job satisfaction, deal with great customers who share a passion about bikes and when I am fully trained in 3 years time, more even business oportunities will arise. :) The only downside at the moment is there are not enough hours in the day!!

My missus is very supportive 'cos she knows it makes me happy and going to work everyday is never a drag for myself. (can't say that about many of the other office based jobs I've had) So give it some more consideration mate. You could still keep your existing job and do the DIT course part-time and see how you get on!

PS. We charge 42 euro an hour labour in our shop in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I was thinking of doing the same Al, but I'd not be able to start the course till next year. Even if I didn't leave IT, it be something to fall back on and something I would always use/need. It says

"Entry Requirements
    Experience in the motor cycle industry. Please note that entry to this programme is by interview only in September."

here's a link the enrolement site. its 860 euros, so that counts me out till next year anyway. I need to get proper leaters ;)

FYI
    There is no interview & you dont have to be in the m/c industry to do the course

Im doing the course as both a hobby & something to fall back on just in case engineering goes even more down the sh1tter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭darkbeatz

Interesting topic. I just registered for the 12 week (one evening a week ) course in kylemore college

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

madrab wrote:
    FYI
    There is no interview & you dont have to be in the m/c industry to do the course

Im doing the course as both a hobby & something to fall back on just in case engineering goes even more down the sh1tter

Oh cools. How are you finding it. Would a IT nerd be able for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Are there any fully qualified mechanics around here that might give an idea of salary range ?

€350 is grand while learning but once qualified what does this raise to typically?

A dream job for me would be fixing and playing with motorbikes all day, but is it feasible long term unless you are a manager of the shop or running your own one? (incredibly expensive in Ireland).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭rachymc

the bike mechanic in our shop is fully qualified and gets between 450-500 a week depending on what hours he works, 500 being a full week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Nice0ne

DarkBeatz, please let me know how you find the 12 week course? I'd be interested in doing something like this in the future.

Thanks,
    Nice0ne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Has anyone got a link to the course?
    Going off topic a bit but do you know if there is anything like this bor push-bikes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Nice0ne wrote:
    DarkBeatz, please let me know how you find the 12 week course? I'd be interested in doing something like this in the future.

Thanks,
    Nice0ne

theres one on in st colemans college in midleton, cork if your interested. google it on evening courses. re the lad about the normal bikes id say try the cycling/jobs? forum perhaps

im a nerd as well so yeah, as long as you like bikes & want to learn then its would be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

well I did my bike mechanic training in the UK 15 yrs ago............and I got out of it when NU dropped the Rider Policy. Bike numbers/sales just imploded.......and it'll happen again.

I'd say 500 sounds about right, but I can't see anyone living on that these days.........existing maybe, but not living. And if the negativity of the situation starts to affect your enthusiasm, you'll give it up, sooner rather than later. I didn't want that to happen.

No, I changed to something different, kept all my tools and lifts, etc, and just do the bikes for pure enjoyment. That and a few friends.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I've been thinking about this seriously over the past few days as the closing date is getting closer and I think I'll give it a miss. The sales of bikes in Ireland have been dwindling over the past few years and there is no point in trying to get into a profession with no future.

I was also thinking of training up here and going to Germany to work but the bike culture over there is purely seasonal and there isn't any work for bike mechanics during the winter.

Ah well, I can only live and dream.

I might sign up for one of those partime maintenance courses though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

KTRIC wrote:
    I've been thinking about this seriously over the past few days as the closing date is getting closer and I think I'll give it a miss. The sales of bikes in Ireland have been dwindling over the past few years and there is no point in trying to get into a profession with no future.

I was also thinking of training up here and going to Germany to work but the bike culture over there is purely seasonal and there isn't any work for bike mechanics during the winter.

Ah well, I can only live and dream.

I might sign up for one of those partime maintenance courses though.
    i was told they are rising year on year?

ive signed up for the kylemore course,
    still loads of places left acccording to the girl i spoke to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mojees

@Tomohawk, are you still a mechanic? how do you find it a few years later?
    Tomohawk wrote: »
    KTRIC,
    As an garage employee, I make 350 a week but I'm just starting out...I used to work in IT and then the Irish film and multimedia sector previous to that. I'm nearly 40 and to be honest it's a labour of love working on motorbikes and scooters. I'm only driving a bike since 2003 and now I find it's my career, mainly because I had the interest and passion. As regards competing with a number of young eager talented individuals, I find that many young people don't like getting their hands dirty these days. :rolleyes: The Irish bike retail and repair market is very small, but still there will always bikes to be sold and fixed. (well until the petrol runs out or the EU boffins legislate us out of existance)

I have started doing my own nixers as well at weekends and the odd evening, and I find that much of my bike repair work I can choose and I get referrals and recommendations from previous customers which is very gratifing. So although the pay ain't great, I get fantastic job satisfaction, deal with great customers who share a passion about bikes and when I am fully trained in 3 years time, more even business oportunities will arise. :) The only downside at the moment is there are not enough hours in the day!!

My missus is very supportive 'cos she knows it makes me happy and going to work everyday is never a drag for myself. (can't say that about many of the other office based jobs I've had) So give it some more consideration mate. You could still keep your existing job and do the DIT course part-time and see how you get on!

PS. We charge 42 euro an hour labour in our shop in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Mojees wrote: »
    @Tomohawk, are you still a mechanic? how do you find it a few years later?

Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman ! !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

No I lost my job in 2009 when the shop closed down...I still ride a scooter though and do all my own servicing. I went back to college in 2011 to study multimedia and now am currently unemployed.

Well this is a blast from the past. I didn't do the course in the end. Strangely enough :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2 QUADFACTORS

I am looking for a part time mechanic to work on atv s and bikes , we are small repair shop in meath

Get back to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2 QUADFACTORS

Tomahawk
    Are you interested in part time mechanic work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭prunudo

Ah 2006, back when we were all having a great time and the party was still alive and kicking. Recession, what are ya on about!

Advertisement