Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wardrobe recommendation Dublin 5

Options
  • 23-08-2006 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi,

We will be getting new wardrobes installed in our bedroom once the renovation of the house is complete is a couple of weeks. We won't be going for top of the range solid wood or anything.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a company that would fit wardrobes in Artane. There is a chimney breast that would need to be incorporated. We were thinking of trying Mr Wardrobe in Clontarf - has anyone used them/heard any feedback?? Not really interested in Cash and Carry, etc - no time. Would just prefer a company to come in, do drawings and fit them

Any help appreciated...

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

I can't answer your acutal question, but I'd like to make another point. Be carefull what you get, MDF waredrobes are allot heavier then something like pine or teac. they coinsititue a major dead weight sitting on you floor, and over the years you may find your nice new floors warping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I can't answer your acutal question, but I'd like to make another point. Be carefull what you get, MDF waredrobes are allot heavier then something like pine or teac. they coinsititue a major dead weight sitting on you floor, and over the years you may find your nice new floors warping.

This is interesting. Never knew this was a problem. How big of a price jump is there between MDF and pine or teac?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

What? Pine and teak would be a lot heavier than mdf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

What? Pine and teak would be a lot heavier than mdf!

I knew someone would say that, its ture, but less pine is used then mdf, so they end up being much lighter for similiar size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I would shop around and then shop around again where built ins are concerned. Companies usually charge a gross profit on what they buy the wood/mdf for. Eg an aunt of mine paid over a grand for a built in wardrobe that wasn't even built in, it was left free standing. You may say there is one born everyday and in her case I'd agree,in her case she took the first quote she got and paid the price. I would go to cash and carry or even b+q with your measurments and get a price on what the materials would cost, better still there is a place in cherryorchord industrial that supply the materials to fitters. I would guess you will see a 10x times increase in what some of those companies will quote you, or probably more.My point is that you should check your local shop or paper for a carpenter or diy'er who will give you a reasonable quote for putting it together if you supply the materials yourself, I rekon you would make a huge saving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Thanks all . Have gotten 3 or 4 recommedations so are going to spend the time and get quotes/ideas from each and decided from there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

On the weight issue, pine is a fair bit lighter than 18mm MDF... but a hardwood like American Hard Maple is very heavy. I can lift 18mm pine panels but I can't lift 18mm MDF panels, about 1.5 times as heavy. Pine panels also vary in weight depending on exact species.

I don't see why less pine would be required than MDF, surely a very similar amount of each would be used?

On price, plastic laminated MDF is maybe 50% to 60% the price of pine but real wood veneered MDF is 70% to 130% the price of pine depending on species, walnut MDF is one of the most expensive...

(Disclaimer: I work making solid pine furniture all the time but occassionally I have used MDF and Hard Maple)

Cheers
    Joe

Advertisement