Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade question

Options
  • 23-08-2006 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hi

I just upgraded from a 6800GT to a 1900XT (ATI ) , was expecting a big jump in performance , especially in Oblivion , but havent seen much improvement at all ?

I would have considered the X1900Xt to be much more powerful ??

Any ideas , it may be my cpu is the bottleneck but im not sure ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Depends on CPU / RAM (speed/amount) / drivers / harddrive (in that order IIRC), really.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

jimmyok wrote:
    Hi

I just upgraded from a 6800GT to a 1900XT (ATI ) , was expecting a big jump in performance , especially in Oblivion , but havent seen much improvement at all ?

I would have considered the X1900Xt to be much more powerful ??

Any ideas , it may be my cpu is the bottleneck but im not sure ..

I also have a 6600GT AGP, P4 2.8, 1.2GB RAM
    which isn't as good as the 6800GT but I am going for a whole new spec machine
    dual core pentium D 3.6-3.8, 2GB RAM and an ATI x1900xt PCI-Express

So I would assume that there would be a huge difference in the quality and FPS increase in any game that's out now should play on it without problem. Since the x1900xt is normally around €300-350 i'd at least expect that.

A rough checklist for you should be to have:
    The latest drivers
    A fairly decent CPU & Motherboard
    1.5GB+ RAM

let us know how you get on.

BTW, what is your 3dmark score?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Also make sure v-sync is disabled, what are the rest of the specifications of your computer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Sean^DCT4 wrote:
    I also have a 6600GT AGP, P4 2.8, 1.2GB RAM
    which isn't as good as the 6800GT but I am going for a whole new spec machine
    dual core pentium D 3.6-3.8, 2GB RAM and an ATI x1900xt PCI-Express

So I would assume that there would be a huge difference in the quality and FPS increase in any game that's out now should play on it without problem. Since the x1900xt is normally around €300-350 i'd at least expect that.

A rough checklist for you should be to have:
    The latest drivers
    A fairly decent CPU & Motherboard
    1.5GB+ RAM

let us know how you get on.

BTW, what is your 3dmark score?

Dont go for a Pentium D . Go for a Core duo 2 ,they are far supperior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well a 6800GT is still a powerful card so unless you have a fairly big monitor there won't be a massive difference between the two on a normal monitor....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Actually, there should be -- the XT is around twice as powerful as a 6800GT (or, in modern terms, twice a 7600GT), and has double the amount of RAM (although there is a cheaper, 5-10% less powerful 256mb version coming out).
    All of which means that the XT should be delivering, for example, 60fps minimum where the GT delivers 30-40fps.
    Check your drivers, make sure you uninstall all prior drivers to begin with (esp the nVidia ones ;)

Yeah, but I still think unless you're using a bigger monitor you would't notice a huge difference in gameplay itself - sure, using fraps you'd probably notice a vastly improved frame rate and in future games the 1900 would kick the 6800 around the shop but the difference between 30-40 fps and 60-70fps, whilst good, isn't going to make you go "WOW OMG".

Running the game on a 20" monitor or something, then you'd notice a nice difference....I know the X1900XT is a far superior card but I don't think it shows hugely when compared to a decent older card on a standard monitor.

Try runing 3dmark and see how it stacks up. I'm not saying that there isn't something wrong - there might be obviously but just don't expect to be blown away completely when comparing your X1900XT to a 6800GT in Oblivion unless you are using a large monitor...

I think alot of people upgrade without really needing to. Its one thing to upgrade from something like a 6600 or a X700 etc but a 6800GT would easily see you through until DX10 cards arrive - I'm still using an X800 vanilla, have pondered the whole upgrading thing but can wait, especially when my card can still perform relatively ok - FEAR Combat running at 40FPS at native res, all texture, detail and physics options at full, and 4X AA. If I say, for example, installed a X1900XT, whilst about 280% more powerful then my current card, I wouldn't notice much difference unless I upgraded the monitor as well....

Not bad for a 2 year old card though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shortie989

HavoK wrote:
    Yeah, but I still think unless you're using a bigger monitor you would't notice a huge difference in gameplay itself - sure, using fraps you'd probably notice a vastly improved frame rate and in future games the 1900 would kick the 6800 around the shop but the difference between 30-40 fps and 60-70fps, whilst good, isn't going to make you go "WOW OMG".

you should see a large difference! the 6800GT can't run oblivion on the highest detail but the X1900XT can easily do so(and at higher res too). the huge difference would be in detail not resoulution,but you should hav a 17" monitor as they're almost standard these days,

evan if u gots a great graphics card u need a decent proccesor to feed it enough to make any use of it, you'd also want at least 1GB RAM, if you hav this try removing all drivers(inc nVidia 1's if u forgot and reinstalling them)

try http://www.drivercleaner.net to thouroughly remove all old nVidia and present ATI drivers (make sure it's only nvidia and Ati ones though!!) then reinstall the ATI one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I'm upgrading to a X1900XT from a Ti4600.

Can't wait to play FEAR. Yes, I am behind the times.

oooo that is going to be soooo nice when you get that up and running .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

ya, a year and a half ago, i upgraded from a voodoo1 card, p200mhz pc to amd64 3200, 6800gt and half life looked soooooo much better!

ooo yeah that would have been very nice indeed.

ooo yeah that would have been very nice indeed.

Did you ever get yours up and running or are you still using the one in your sig? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

Dont go for a Pentium D . Go for a Core duo 2 ,they are far supperior.

Oh I know but Intel Pentium D 805 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.8Ghz for €105 is not bad at all.
    If I had the €€€'s I'd get the Core2Duo in a flash.

Advertisement