Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bring back the menu!!!!!

Options
  • 23-08-2006 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

For the love of god why has the floating menu system at the top of all the pages been removed? its really hard to navigate the site without it!! please please please bring it back.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Its there when you sign in is'nt it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Um, it hasn't.

There is a much stripped down version being used if you're logged out, and if that bothers you - then log in. It appears that you have an account to log into, after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

i just realised that it works after you sign in, still kinda annoying now that i have to sign in every time, even if i just want to browse posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

There is a much stripped down version being used if you're logged out
    Great idea!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ZygOte wrote:
    i just realised that it works after you sign in, still kinda annoying now that i have to sign in every time, even if i just want to browse posts.
    Click remember me when you sign in, yo will always be siged in then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Verita

Gordon wrote:
    Great idea!

It's good to see this thread started. I was wondering a few things.
    The DHTML menu has been removed to help with the server load. But I was wondering what causes the server more strain.
    Is it better to be logged in or logged out? For example if you are logged out then boards.ie can be set to reduce the server load as a standard group of settings. No sig's, no avatars. No this and no that. But some thing as important as a menu that helps navigate the site could be standard? Site navigation is a very important part of any web site? Imagine being a new user to the site. What is more important? Navigation or bells and whistles? Maybe some thing like the little balloons that appear when you hover over a post link could be removed instead? And sigs and avatars and....

So maybe a bit of feedback from people in the know could help with this. Which could help the server load more, being logged in or out?
    As I write this there are 320 member and 420 guests. Also as someone who reads boards.ie logged out 99% of the time I'd rather have site navigation over the bells and whistles.

I'd rather have to log in to use things like PM's and bells and whistles rather than plain browsing

Thoughts anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

It's really annoying having to logon to use the menu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

Verita wrote:
    It's good to see this thread started. I was wondering a few things.
    The DHTML menu has been removed to help with the server load. But I was wondering what causes the server more strain.
    Is it better to be logged in or logged out? For example if you are logged out then boards.ie can be set to reduce the server load as a standard group of settings. No sig's, no avatars. No this and no that. But some thing as important as a menu that helps navigate the site could be standard? Site navigation is a very important part of any web site? Imagine being a new user to the site. What is more important? Navigation or bells and whistles? Maybe some thing like the little balloons that appear when you hover over a post link could be removed instead? And sigs and avatars and....

So maybe a bit of feedback from people in the know could help with this. Which could help the server load more, being logged in or out?
    As I write this there are 320 member and 420 guests. Also as someone who reads boards.ie logged out 99% of the time I'd rather have site navigation over the bells and whistles.

I'd rather have to log in to use things like PM's and bells and whistles rather than plain browsing

Thoughts anyone?
    All good points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

So newcomers to the site dont see the multiple goodness.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Verita wrote:
    Maybe some thing like the little balloons that appear when you hover over a post link could be removed instead?

I agree that navigation is important, but I would hate to see that part go. It may actually help ease the server load - if it wasn't there, people may end up having to go into more threads to see what they are about than they would have originally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

All this is, is a pain in the arse for the 75,000 users. First the post archive goes now this crap. I can't think of any popular websites that have a policy of downgrading their overall functionality.

If your servers can't handle the traffic. Upgrade your servers. Surely adverts.ie can foot the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

sturgo wrote:
    Surely adverts.ie can foot the bill.
    Why would adverts.ie have any money?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

sturgo wrote:
    Upgrade your servers.

I presume you'll help fund that?
    Surely adverts.ie can foot the bill.

It's a free service.

Beruthiel wrote:
    I presume you'll help fund that?

Yes I will actually, & so will the 74,999 other users that visit the site. Advertising revenue. (i.e that banner ad at the top of the screen) should be used to maintain the overall site. Surely with the amount of traffic Boards gets per day, there must be a marketing strategy somewhere.

If the simple interface on boards becomes a pain in the arse to use, less people will visit the site. Right now the lack of a pop-up menu is a pain in the arse.

sturgo wrote:
    If the simple interface on boards becomes a pain in the arse to use, less people will visit the site. Right now the lack of a pop-up menu is a pain in the arse.
    Is it really that difficult for you to log in to browse?

Blowfish wrote:
    Is it really that difficult for you to log in to browse?

No, it's not difficult, it's just a pain in the arse.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Doesnt bother me, but then again, I dont visit every forum o_O

I prefer to be logged in anyway.

Tho, im supprised Boards cant fund a server upgrade or watever needs done?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Isn't the overhead of the dropdown menu caused by all the queries that check to see if there have been new posts since the user last visited?

If so, then the dropdown menu for someone is not logged in just has to be a static one that does not require any (or at least very few) queries on the database.

In fact, a text file could be generated daily that provides the dropdown menu to non-logged in users.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

For the one millionth time ( well maybe the 9th or 10th ) the cost of servers has absolutley nothing to do with it.

There are many factors at play here and the priority is to have the bulletin boards available, and that means constantly reducing the strain on the servers.

So if we can have less of the complaints, more helpful suggestion, and a tiny effort on anyones part to log in if you wish to use the dynamic menu.

V.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

eoin_s wrote:
    In fact, a text file could be generated daily that provides the dropdown menu to non-logged in users.

That's what we had, but also be you'd be surprised at the strain that 1000s of downloads of a 65k menu can make.

• Advertisement

Vexorg wrote:
    So if we can have less of the complaints, more helpful suggestion, and a tiny effort on anyones part to log in if you wish to use the dynamic menu.

V.

Complaints are usually a good indicators for any business. Ignore them & you're in trouble. IBB is a good example of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I don't think anyone have problems with complaints, its the same problem being mentioned over and over and posted in a way that nothing is being done to fix it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Im not suggesting that people dont complain, less complaints and more helpfull suggestion is what we require when we are trying to ensure that the bulk of the users get a better experience and working within the constraints we currently have, but keep things in perspective.:)

Complaining that having to log in to see the dynamic menu is a painful experience vs better browsing for the bulk of users. I think its fair to ask for less of this type of complaint

In addition we have repeatedly said that the cost of the servers is not the issue here, this is a short term blib while other things are sorted out.

We do not ignore complaints, Im not sure where this is coming from?

Vex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Verita

Cloud wrote:
    That's what we had, but also be you'd be surprised at the strain that 1000s of downloads of a 65k menu can make.

Hi Cloud (and Vexorg) I would just like to say that I wasn't complaining. I have no tech knowledge about any of this. I was just wondering what was better.
    The thing is I don't log in unless I have to post. At the time of posting there are 321 Members and 375 Guests.
    What I was wondering was if removing the menu was worth it? As it stands there are now 375 people navigating the site using the new top menu. So click on Zyz and get a page with a lot of information + AD. Then click on Forum get a new page with a lot of info + AD then choose thread get all info including Avatars and sigs.

Like I said I have no idea what comprises as a load on the server. But with people logged out you could remove some bells and whistles? Avatars. Sigs. Would that not help with the load? It appears 50% of the users are guests at any one time.
    I suppose my main point it that has removing the DHTML nav bar actually put more of a load on the server with the way Guests now have to navigate? Again I have no tech knowledge and was just putting the thought out there, feedback and all that. I wish I could give a neat solution to your problem but I don't have that knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Why is 'Sys' as 'Zyz' anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Vexorg wrote:
    Im not suggesting that people dont complain, less complaints and more helpfull suggestion is what we require when we are trying to ensure that the bulk of the users get a better experience and working within the constraints we currently have.

In addition we have repeatedly said that the cost of the servers is not the issue here, this is a short term blib while other things are sorted out.

We do not ignore complaints, Im not sure where this is coming from?

Let me put this from a common sense point of view. People dont know what you are doing, you say you are working within constraints we don't know what these are, they may be technical, adminstrative or monetary.

I can offer no technical support but others may be able to.
    I can offer money but you claim this is not a cost issue.
    I can offer adminstrative advice but i don't know the problem.

Faced with no knowledge of the problem we can offer no reasonable suggestion apart from "please fix it". That is our crutch, now whats yours?

tba wrote:
    Faced with no knowledge of the problem we can offer no reasonable suggestion apart from "please fix it". That is our crutch, now whats yours?
    I'd assume it's that the admins also have jobs, busy lives and legal issues to sort out, so the answer would be that they will get to it when they have some free time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

tba wrote:

The efforts to help and suggestions are always appreciated, but it's not always appropriate to go into much detail about the things slowing down progress. Where possible we try to let people know what is hampering us or slowing us down. Sometimes it's just not practical to be open about these issues. Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Now that's just silly.
    Refering to having Zyz in place of Sys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Am I the only one who hates the menu? It makes Safari very unhappy.

Advertisement