Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bring back the menu!!!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

rsynnott wrote:
    Am I the only one who hates the menu? It makes Safari very unhappy.
    Really? It works fine for me with Safari.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

ecksor wrote:
    The efforts to help and suggestions are always appreciated, but it's not always appropriate to go into much detail about the things slowing down progress. Where possible we try to let people know what is hampering us or slowing us down. Sometimes it's just not practical to be open about these issues. Sorry!
    Why not have a call out for people who would have relevant skills towards the problem, get them on board, tell them what the issue is, and let that team fix it? I'm sure there are loads of people out there who will help for free given the oppurtunity.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I don't think you understood my post :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Really? It works fine for me with Safari.

It slows down page rendering horribly. (Safari's JS interpreter isn't the best, and the menu is a very large chunk of JS)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

There are not many sites using VB of this size that still offer the built in search and ones that do, charge for it. Also, the issues bogging down the servers may give malicious users idea how best to attack the servers ( I would think there are a lot of people attempting DDoS attacks every day for whatever reasons).

VB is NOT built to handle this many users and you can't go changing a lot of things without breaking the entire forum. Adding more servers is like painting over dirt. Sure, apply more layers and you might get some good results, but you would be better off cleaning it before you had even started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Click remember me when you sign in, yo will always be siged in then.

OK I don't mean to be stupid, but has the remember me option disappeared when you login now? I can't find it. It used to be there when I was replying to a thread. Has it changed due to the dynamic menu? Do we have to login now all of the time? (Don't mind if we do, just curious)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Logged out to look.
    Go to any page that is not the main page and the 'rememer me' option is there.
    Like how I rememebr it.
    Nope we don't have to log in all the time, your computer shall remember, so it is written and so it shall be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks Tar, I think I wasn't actually logged out properly which is why I wasn't seeing it. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

The Zyz instead of Sys thing wasn't supposed to show, I was just using it to sort menu options before renaming back - do people still see it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Sid Deuce

Cloud wrote:
    The Zyz instead of Sys thing wasn't supposed to show, I was just using it to sort menu options before renaming back - do people still see it?

When not logged in you see Zyz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Giblet wrote:
    VB is NOT built to handle this many users and you can't go changing a lot of things without breaking the entire forum. Adding more servers is like painting over dirt. Sure, apply more layers and you might get some good results, but you would be better off cleaning it before you had even started.
    v3.6 will hopefully solve those issues, and I am sure in time, boards will upgrade in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I'm sure they are planning an upgrade, but upgrades can add even more crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Just a suggestion but would removing the little textbox that appears when you hover over a link to a post take any load off the servers?

One would assume that pulling the text from the first post of every thread that's queried when you open a forum and then displaying it so it's there when you hover over it would put more strain than it's worth on the server.

I for one wouldn't miss that little textbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

steveland? wrote:
    Just a suggestion but would removing the little textbox that appears when you hover over a link to a post take any load off the servers?

One would assume that pulling the text from the first post of every thread that's queried when you open a forum and then displaying it so it's there when you hover over it would put more strain than it's worth on the server.

Someone already made that suggestion; personally I don't like the idea. If it wasn't there I'd probably have to click into twice as many threads as I do currently, so it could be a false economy to remove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Ah, this is what I love about the Feedback forum. Feedback isnt always going to be good, so its rather stupid when someone makes a complaint about yet another decline in the user friendliness of boards to be met with the old "ya can use it for free, shut the fcuk up" response from mods. If your so sensitive to criticism of the site perhaps there shouldnt be a Feedback forum. Seeing as anyone who complains about the vastly detoriating quality of this site is only subject to abuse back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

1. Read the thread.
    2. Shut up.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Tha Gopher why do you presume that anyone who moderates any single forum for us, speaks for the whole site or the admins/owners of the site? They just speak for themselves here and what do you want us to do... censor them?

I dont believe any admin has mentioned payment or has told anyone to "shut up" here.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Cloud wrote:

If you don't log in you can see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I forget the name, but there is a firefox plugin that will allow you to embed your own code into a webpage.

Might be handy if someone finds and configures that. take the load off the server as it where.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Greasemonkey's the extension you're looking for I believe.
    steveland? wrote:

I for one wouldn't miss that little textbox.

I don't think that adds much load to the servers tbh. I reckon one way to speed it up slightly would be to store the first line of the first post with the thread metadata so that you save a second database query. I don't know enough about vBulletin to know if they do that already or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

While we're on the subject of the menu:
    How often is boards.ie > Top Statistics updated? Is it a DB hit each time?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Still seeing that Zyz when logged out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Karoma wrote:
    While we're on the subject of the menu:
    How often is boards.ie > Top Statistics updated? Is it a DB hit each time?

Fixed the Zyz - the only part of the menu that is dynamic is the Subbed drop down, everything else is generated daily and saved statically.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

I get really ticked off when after I log in and can see the menu dropdowns, then use the browser 'back' and 'forward' buttons and I continously get logged off and have to re-login to get the menu function. Pain is the a** if you ask me.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Navigate to http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/ and login and tick the "Remember Me" radio button. That will keep you logged in.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Would serving the cruft off another simpler server like Apache 1.3 on OpenBSD help much. The menu at the top surely doesn't need a DB hit each time I hope?

Same thing with some of the dynamic features that don't need to be totally current.

Advertisement