Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War on Terror

• 23-08-2006 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

Is the War on Terror the worst run military campaign in modern times?

I mean the greatest military machine supposedly in the history of the world and it can't defeat the remnants of Al-quada in the mountains of Afghanistan or Pakistan. And NATO is in on the fight as well.

I think the mistake was letting amataurs in Washington decide much of the planning of targets...ie attack Iraq while Bin Laden is still around. After alll Saddam was the main reason why Al-Quada had no presence in Iraq and remove him and you give them a free hand...disastrous...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

gbh wrote:

I mean the greatest military machine supposedly in the history of the world and it can't defeat the remnants of Al-quada in the mountains of Afghanistan or Pakistan. And NATO is in on the fight as well.

I think the mistake was letting amataurs in Washington decide much of the planning of targets...ie attack Iraq while Bin Laden is still around. After alll Saddam was the main reason why Al-Quada had no presence in Iraq and remove him and you give them a free hand...disastrous...

It's a political exercise not a military campaign.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Mick86 wrote:
    It's a political exercise not a military campaign.

What he said.

Terrorism is a political strategy. It is best defeated by another political strategy.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

gbh wrote:

Hmm not too sure on that.People need to step back and see the bigger picture.Iraq is not only about Saddam and oil ,it is a greater move about stabilising or unstabilising a reigion,and making a counter move against bigger players like Iran,Syria and Russia.Not to mind sending a message to some of our "allies" down there,who have lots of oil as well,and act like spoilt kids betimes.
    As for trying to catch one man in the wilds of Pakistan/Afghanistan or defeating them.It is not the most easiest terrority.You could put the Russian and Chinese army in there as well and still not find him.And if if they did catch him now so what??Al Quieda is a "trade mark" not a actual group anymore.Any bomber can claim he belonged to AQ before he blows himself up.
    As for AQ not being in Iraq,not quite true either.The enemy of mine enemy is mine friend old arab saying.There is more growing evidence that Saddo offered training and assistance to AQ in aircraft storming counter tactics in one of the airfields,etc.
    The big problem I see with going into Iraq was,we had all the plans to win the war,none to win the peace.

Advertisement