Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about neighbours dog...

Options
  • 23-08-2006 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭

A nearby neighbour keeps a German Sheperd on a chain (about 12 ft) in their back garden. As far as I can tell it is NEVER taken out for walks. It is fed daily but the dry food is just put on the ground, sometimes some of it is out of reach of the tethered dog. There appears to be a water dish but the dog knocks it over and is without water for long periods.

Surely this is not a good way to keep a dog,

I dont know the people at all so dont want to knock at the door to say I think your dog should be better cared for...

What should I do? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You could call the ISPCA and/or the guards.

Unfortunatly the laws regarding animal housing and care requirements are a disgrace. As long as there is shelter (is there?) and food/water provided, you're pretty much on the right side of the law.

As far as I know there is nothing in the laws that forbids chains or specifies a minimum length for them, neither is excercise mentioned.

But I'm not an expert on this ...hopefully somebody in the know will have a more precise answer for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

i agree with peasant give the ISPCA a call you'll be able to get advice from them if nothing else.

i wouldnt think having a chain on a dog/ not excercising the dog regularly is against the law. once the dog has food, water, shelter and appears cared for i.e not suffering from malnutrition than id say there is nothing that can be done.

however i personally would try getting to know the neighbours then when familiar enough comment on the "lovely" dog they have simply drop it in casually hows the dog on the lead when walking? or dont they need lots of excerise/playtime/space? they might get the hint then.

its a pity there isnt a law there that governs dog excerise but it prob wont ever be there id say. its not nice seeing dogs tied up all the time.:(

best of luck op its a tough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Where are you, Sudz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I was in a similar situation not that long ago. There was a little pitbull puppy in the neighbours apartment. I didn't think I had seen them for a few days and the poor dog was barking and yelping non-stop. Someone had called the police before I did who must have notified the maintenance people who opened the door and I guess fed the dog. I really wish that if people can't find someone to look after their dog, that they would give it to someone who can. Why get a puppy if you are just going to leave it there? There was an apology letter left at the apartment entrance from the people who owned it (for all the barking and I saw them bring in a HUGE dog kennel for him) and it seems to have gotten better. Best of luck with your situation OP. No harm in having the ISPCA check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Unfortunately,....
    what ends up happening (has to me on more than one occasion), is you ring the DSPCA / ISPCA, and you're told "ring the guardai".....you ring the guardai and you're told "ring the council".....you ring the council, your put through to some "enviroment somthing or other" dept, you make the complaint and then it gets "lost" and nothing ever happens.

Its a sad sad situation in this day and age.

b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭sudzs

Not sure what to do as new in the area and don't know the people at all, in fact I'm on a different road backing onto theirs but can see the poor dog.

They give him water but in a flimsy bowl which he knocks over so ends up with nothing to drink for the day. He gets next to no human contact and still havent seen him being taken for a walk. It's heartbreaking to see as he's a lovely animal.

Thanks for the replies, will have to ponder on what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 itzii

i would suggest writing a "letter" from the spca (if you have a computer and printer it is easy enough to put together a letter heading that looks genuine), and leave it in the neighbours letterbox after dark! just saying that they have had a complaint, and called to check on the dog, and will call back later. if that doesnt work, then do contact the spca. exaggerate the situation!!

i had a similar problem, an added complication though for me was that i was the only neighbour overlooking their garden, hence it would have been obviously been me reporting them. but the pup barking at night annoyed the owner so much they got rid of the dog themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭smallpaws

For the life of me, I have never understood why people get dogs they don't want or give a flying rat's a*s about. You can leave an anonymous note explaining that the dog has no water consistently, which is animal neglect, and has no regular contact and that dogs are PACK animals who need food, water and consistent contact with the people who are supposed to be caring for it. If they don't want it, they shouldn't have it. Leaving a dog tied out in a yard like that is not only f***ing stupid, it's disgraceful.
    If that doesn' t work, maybe you and the other neighbors can start watering and feeding the dog and maybe offering to take it out for walks or to play fetch regularly? It would be a potential PITA for you and the neighbors, but it would mean everything to that poor dog.

I hate your F****** retarded neighbors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Maybe you should print this thread out for them and include a photo of yourself looking all sad and puppy-eyed.
    Dogs can't speak for themselves (except for those cool ones on youtube).

Advertisement