Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parts buying advice (cassette, chain, pedals)

• 23-08-2006 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I need to get some new bits and pieces, wondering if you have any advice.

Rear cassette

I need an 8 way rear cassette to go with my new wheels (off road).

At the same time, I think I should probably change my current rear cassette (road wheels) as it appears to be very worn now, there's a lot of mileage on that cassette.

Any product recommendation?

New chain, chainring recommended?

I've seen elsewhere people recommending replacing the entire chain when replacing rear cassettes. Given the mileage on the chain, I don't have any problem splashing out on that. Do I need to change the chainring also? (I need to inspect it more closely to see what kind of wear it's showing.)

Any product recommendation?

Shoes, pedals

My Specialized shoes are falling apart, it's time for replacement. I have a crappy set of spares, e20 in Decathlon, looking for another set for main use, but these will keep me going if I'm stuck.

I'm thinking about upgrading my Wellgo e30 pedals to something half-decent, I was looking at Egg Beaters. Any recommendations in this area?

Rear slick

Going for a new rear tyre, will be a Conti Sports Contact most likely.

2x 26x2.0 tubes

My off-road wheels are wheels and tyres, so in addition to a cassette, I'll need some tubes :) Yes, I do need to check exact measurement, I'm not familiar with the off-road stuff, so they may be bigger than 2.0.

--

My total budget is realistic for what I've described above, but any bargain tips recommended. I may buy the lot online, but I'll head to my LBS and ask for a quote after reminding them of the 4 bikes and many other purchases I've influenced or made recently :)

Cheers,
    Al.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Rear cassette
    Get something with a good range, at least 11-30.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1189
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6388
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5212

New chain, chainring recommended?

Chains wear out faster than cassettes so it'll need replacing. Get a SRAM PC58 or 68. Check your chainrings for wear - you may only need to replace 1 or 2. Using Middleburns at the moment. Shimano are cheaper but may wear a bit quickly.

Shoes, pedals

Consider Time ATACs or Shimano M520 or M540s too. Never tried Eggbeaters.

2x 26x2.0 tubes

Black rubber ones. Definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

hey man you are not very clear at all. how many gears do you have??i take its 24 or 16??you may need to replace most the drive train when upping gears. also what wheel do you have is it a freewheel, makes a clicking noise when coasting, or a cassette which makes no noise??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hey Bedlam, you are 100% correct. Any advice? (besides "get a decent bike" :))

Morgan, thanks. I guess I may need to replace the outter chainring, but that's it up front. Regards the tubes, I was thinking about getting some of the reflective yellow ones for better visibility, but if that doesn't pan out I'll have to go with black. SRAM seem to have a better rep for chains on what I've found today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have Shimano M515 pedals (predecessors of the M520s) and I'm very happy with them. Is there any big issue with pedals really if you aren't concerned about weight? Any specific issue with your Wellgos if they are still working OK?

blorg: I could stick with the Wellgos, but they're not great in the sense that they stick in bad conditions, and they're starting to show a fair bit of rust. I'll price some new cleats for them out of interest, find out how much I can save. If it's not a lot I'll be upgrading and throwing them in the "might be useful sometime" pile (for that fixie commuter I eventually will build ;)).

Eur 159.72 gets me delivered:
    2005 Sram Powerglide II PG850 Cassette 8 Speed (11-32) x 2
    2005 Sram PC-68 8 Speed Chain x 1
    2006 Crank Brothers Egg Beater MXR Pedals x 1
    Maxxis Xenith Slick Tire x 1

I didn't put in the tubes because it knocks me over $150 and into higher shipping fees. These quotes from Pricepoint (who I've negotiated down on shipping previously).

Are these chain and cassettes fit for my purposes? (I'm pretty sure they are, but doesn't hurt to ask)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

If one of those cassettes is for your road wheels you may be better off with a close ratio road cassette. You'd rarely use the larger cogs at all. That lot comes in under EUR150 on Chainreaction.

Yeah I was thinking about getting the 11-28 or 11-30. I need to figure out how much I use the larger cogs. Maybe 11-30 is a good balance.

Advertisement