Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Wall

Options
  • 23-08-2006 12:29pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

i have a small wall around the front of my house. It appears that the previous owners may have hit this with a car and one of the pillars has a sort of crack in it but it seemed stable enough. i had a carpenter doing some work in the house and i think he also hit it (i cant prove it). it is now leaning forwards and i am a bit worried about it falling on someone and squashing them. is there anything i can do to make it more secure, i really really dont want to go through the whole hassle of knocking it down and starting again (i was looking for someone to build my back wall for over a year, after it Mysteriously fell down, anyway, i end up with a fence instead)

please please any advice would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

The first thing to do here is to knock the wall down, or at least the part that is now structurally unsound. This happened to me in my first house when some idiot in a van reversed into the pillar and knocked it off its foundations. Now the pillar was still standing but it would move if you gave it a shove. I didn't want it to fall on some child so I knocked it down, took it apart brick by brick and rebuilt it.

You could be sued if the wall was to fall on someone and injure them. For your own piece of mind, get it fixed. Try doing it yourself as it's not difficult rebuilding a garden wall, because you don't have to worry about it having to support anything. Just clean the old concrete of the edges of the bricks and relay them with fresh cement. Trust me its not difficult and a lot cheaper than paying a brickie for a half hours work (if you can get one).

If you don't feel up to it, at least knock down the part that is unsound in the interim.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

thanks dave

i am not doing it - i am doing no more construction work in my house but to looking for a brickie so :D

Advertisement