Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*URGENT* Switching Courses

Options
  • 23-08-2006 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hey, could someone tell me how you go about changing your course before the year starts? i got my first choice on my cao, but i had......er......a sudden change of heart over the last few days:D i'm tryin to get into computer science and i have all the point and subject requirements. I need to sort this out quickly or i could be bolloxed:rolleyes: .Any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Are the two courses within UCD? Ring UCD and ask them what the story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Generally it can be done, your dept may tell you you can't but it is entirely possible as long as you have the points and other requirements which you have so you're sorted.

Contact teh careers guidance office in UCD they're really good at helping with this - it is generally very simple to do though, they realise people do have changes of heart about these things

EDIT: Forgot to say that it's easy within the college - switching out of UCD would be an entirely different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Assmaster_Kronk

yeah the other ones social science in ucd. i've rang them fifty times and its always engaged, and they never replied to my e-mail. i'll try storming the building and see what happens:D

right, thanks for the help:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

They will sort you out - it just may take some time. Do call into the careers office, a guy in my class wanted to swap and he found them most helpful for helping him change - it had to go through administration too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Economaniac!

hello there, yep i've had 1st hand experience and generally there is no problem. things will be mad in college for the first week or two, but u shud keep ringing up admissions, they are the ppl who deal with this. u can change any course withing ucd providing u have the academic requirment and u really really really want to change. they'll make u right a little essay on "why we should let you change" and they'll make u get is signed by the Dean of ur Faculty

(this all sounds very complicated but trust me it's all very easily done in reality) the cut off dates for changing is the end of october so just find out all u can once u hit belfield, and ask everybody!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

If you need to get in touch with the head of comp. sci. it's Barry Smyth, and the email of the secretary of the school is Csi.Secretary@ucd.ie

hmmm.......i've been gettin alot of opposing information:o i've been down to the student desk twice now and both times they said there's no way of changing courses if the courses are completely different (though both my courses are in the arts faculty:mad: ). The woman today even told me not to accept my offer at all (maybe she didnt like the cut of my jib:p )and to try and apply for a vacant position after a few weeks........i can tell the next few weeks are gonna be a right laugh:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 spudmurf2k

don't not accept. that'd be silly. then u wudn't even be in ucd. there prob won't be any 'vacant places' they were released yesterday or tuesday.

yeah well thats what i was thinking, if all else fails i may aswell at least get my foot in the door then work from there

• Advertisement
Advertisement