Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

peculiar question i know..... but am curious!

• 23-08-2006 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

was driving into Ballaghadeeren the other evening on the way home from work and there were 2 guys thumbing on the dublin side. Not unusual you say, but there was! they were weirdly dressed! now, everyone is thinking "them ones down the west always dress funny anyways!" but these were DEFINITELY out-of-towners!

they were dressed in what seemed to be black velvet suit and black velvet broad rimmed hats. they had long hair also. suit pants seemed to be flared a bit. now, if i was going to dublin i would probably have given them a lift out of pure curiosity! and what was even more different, was that they had sticks with a shirt tied on the end which held there contents. "Little house on the praire" type scenario!
    I was asked for a lift one time in germany during the world cup by a guy of similar description but didn't think much of it. Is this a religious thing? Or where do these guys come from? I don't think they were Amish, as they hadn't got beards. am just curious. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Google: Since the Middle Ages, when crafts where organized in guilds, traveling has been an integral part of the education of any craftsman. Before one can become a Meister (master craftsman), one has to be a Lehrling (apprentice) with a Meister for usually three years. Upon completion of the Lehre (apprenticeship) one becomes a Geselle. The guilds for most crafts, in particular the ones for carpenters, masons etc., mandated that every Geselle had to travel for a certain number of years without returning to their hometown, except in case of family emergencies. During these years, Gesellen would travel from town to town seeking temporary employment with various Meister.

These travels are called Walz and are to be done in traditional dresses, which for carpenters and masons consists of a black corduroy suit, their traditional work clothes, a top hat or a bowler, depending on the trade, a bandana, used to wrap and carry all belongings on the road, and often a fancy walking stick. Traditionally, the Walz had to last three years and one day, during which time the journeyman walked from town to town. The perks of these journeys included one free meal at the local restaurant and sometimes a close encounter with the current employers wife, the Frau Meisterin.

In modern times, the Walz is no more a requirement for becoming a Meister, since we now have more effective ways of disseminating the skills and knowledge for a particular trade. In recent years, it has become more and more popular again with Gesellen in the traditional trades, and the people bothering you in your favorite bar are most likely legit and on the Walz (those corduroy suits aren't exactly cheap).

Apart from the now optional Walz other bits of the medieval guilds that have survived the centuries are the requirement that you have to be a Meister to be allowed to have your own shop and take apprentices, the Meisterstück (master piece), a piece of work of high quality and demand that you have to produce in rder to become a Meister and the Richtfest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

thekooman wrote:
    they were dressed in what seemed to be black velvet suit and black velvet broad rimmed hats. they had long hair also. suit pants seemed to be flared a bit............ and what was even more different, was that they had sticks with a shirt tied on the end which held there contents. "Little house on the praire" type scenario!

Mrs Rizla just seen two fellows matching this description on the Headford rd, Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

sounds like the same guys alright. very interesting tradition i have to say. thanks biko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Mrs Rizla just seen two fellows matching this description on the Headford rd, Galway.
    maybe they were going to a fancy dress party and their car broke down
    howrya davey!

Advertisement