Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Coast surf spots

Options
  • 23-08-2006 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

Anyone know any secret East coast summer spots for surfing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

To the best of my knowledge there are no surf spots on the east coast, especially in the summer.
    You need a big ocean like the atlantic in front of you for a surfable swell.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Is tramore the east coast? I've been there a few times, but mostly in Autumn, and it was great. Someone told me that there was surfers in Killiney in May but I don't believe that they were doing anything besides sitting on their sticks. Then again, I remember reading something about the history of irish surf and apparently the first wave in Ireland was caught in Louth! I didn't know you could even swim in louth!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Then again, I remember reading something about the history of irish surf and apparently the first wave in Ireland was caught in Louth!

Yea but back then they used huge 11ft boards that could catch a wave generated by a whales fart, there probably is waves from time to time but I wouldn't bother going all the way to the beach to check.

Tramore is on the south coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Right... I guess we have to wait for a really really big storm. I have managed to canoe surf all over the East coast, but thats a different story. I have seen people stand up on a board in Ballbrigan of all places!

Anyone here remember surfing the B&I surf in Dollymount or am I showing my age?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭littlesurfer

i've had some good times in tramore. theres some shops down there and if you ring good and early they'll let you know the swell.

if you pm me I'l give you the number

ps had some not so great days down there too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Was it tramore that used to have terrible water pollution up until a few years ago, or what south coast beach am I thinking of...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭conman78

Indeed there are surf spots on the east coast. Would be foolish to mention them here as thats part of the surfers code. But within 40 minutes of Dublin on a given day with winds over 25mph from a southerly direction its usually pretty sweet. Check magicseaweed for the bouy readinds in the irish sea for more accurate directions. Besides that check a good Ordnance Survey map and you will be able see beaches and headlands. Use your compass and if all matches the swell direction Fanny's your Aunt!!!

Advertisement