Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mitsubishi Pajero Junior Drivers? Info Please

Options
  • 23-08-2006 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

i've been looking around thinking about buying something.. was going for Integra but insurance is a barrier.

i was told about Mitsubishi Pajero Juniors, and i have to say they are very tempting.

the look of a jeep yet not too big an engine.

any drivers of them here? some info would be nice.

like drive?
    performance?
    reliability?

i am really thinking about it now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

No experience with the Pajero Junior, but I've been driving its "cousin" the Suzuki Jimny for the last 3 years.

One thing you have to be prepared for with this kind of vehicle is the fairly crappy ride. Small wheelbase, narrow track and high centre of gravity make for "interesting" driving characteristics.
    It will be hard and bouncy, shake your fillings out and lean in corners.

Personally I like it, but I only drive short distances on bad roads where I can't drive fast anyway, so it's kinda fun in that situation. On long distances (especially when you're in a hurry) you will hate it. The upshot is it's great around town (as long as the roads are smooth:D ) because you have a supermini size car with a high up seating position. Whizzing about is great fun.

It will also be fairly cramped inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭EpiphoneSpecial

nice one, dude. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Check out the Honda HRV and Suzuki Vitara (old, and new)- pretty sure both of them came in a 1.6 litre engine, which may be insurable. I hate to mention it, as I think it's a pretty horrible car - but there is also the Daihatsu Terios. That comes in a 1.3 litre. It sort of looks like an SUV from the side, but when you see it front on, it looks incredibly narrow. It actually looks like a Fiat Seicento on stilts.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

I remember being in one of these a couple of years ago on a short spin. It was on a good stretch of road, lovely and smooth for any kind of saloon car. I had never been shaken and bumped around so much in my life in a car - hideous things!!

If all this hasn't put you off yet, there is another thing to consider:

Price!

Those Pajero Juniors are horribly expensive for what they are.

If you're still in the market for that kind of vehicle, DO consider the Jimny as well.

It is slightly larger, has a wider track and (I'm told) is somewhat more stable on the road.

Its a 1.3 with a fairly zippy 80 bhp, although not geared for high speed driving, but it will do 120 km/h at about 3800-4000 rpm comfortably (if noisily) with some go left in it.

I have found mine to be very reliable, cheap to run and service and equipment (on my 99) isn't bad with elec windows, mirrors, dual airbags and side impact protection.

Plus it is a proper 4x4 with solid axles, good articulation, small overhangs and a reduction gearbox and can go quite far off road ...further than a lot of the heavy tanks and it will pass stretches that "softroaders" wouldn't even think about without even needing to engage 4WD.

You should get a good one (99 or 00) for six to seven k.

If you do ...get rid off the OEM Bridgestone tyres ...they are useless in all conditions and lethal in the wet.

• Advertisement

im not put off yet!

The Jimny seems to be only in 1.3 not that it matters much but they seem to be more expensive than a Junior from the same year. about 500 cheaper for a Junior. ('98 with 40isk k miles on them).

All Pajero juniors are Japanese imports (could be a good thing, but you could get a polished up duffer as well) and most of them are automatics. I have never driven one, but I just can't imagine a 1.1 litre auto being nice to drive (I could be wrong though).

The Suzuki Jinmy was only introduced in 98.

On carzone there are a few 98 Juniors (no newer ones, just older) with around 40 k miles advertised for just under 9k.

you could get this:

http://www.carzone.com/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=450977

for a grand less

or that:
    http://www.carzone.com/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=486990

for a grand more

But the best thing would probably be to test drive either one (junior & jimny) to see for yourself what they really are like.

they are a bit pricy peasant.. i am thinking along the lines of selling my current car to fund the Junior.. and maybe throw 750ish onto it to buy it.

i was looking at this one and thought it was a good deal:

this is automatic though
    http://cars.motornet.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=280402

here's a manual, bit more money though

http://search.autotrader.ie/www/cars_advert?country=IE&modelexact=1&make=Mitsubishi&model=Pajero&keywords=junior+manual&min_pr=&max_pr=&min_year=&max_year=&source=&currency=EUR&county_list=&sort=0&id=200634181627569

do you have to do anything to drive an Auto if you passed your test in a Manual?

When you look at this:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=481867
    you can see that a Jimny can be got for the same price.

but i really think you should try and drive both vehicles first, before you make a decision which one to concentrate your search on.
    do you have to do anything to drive an Auto if you passed your test in a Manual?

Yes ...be careful that you don't stamp on the nonexistent clutch out of habit ...you'll be braking very hard instead :D:D:D

other than that ...nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭thegloriousend

Junior looks better

• Advertisement
Advertisement