Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best place to buy cheap gear

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Get a proper wetsuit, I know you have said funding it is an issue, but a sleeveless one over / under a longsleeve rashie will be next to useless and will not prevent cold water flushing throughout your session. A kayaking cag over everything will only get in the way when paddling, popping etc.

Get the right gear for the job, and if you have a kayak, sell it.

+1

i wouldnt wear a sleeveless suit even in summer.

go through this whole thread, you will get some good recommendations on where to pick up a suit for fairly cheap, ~E150.

sometimes the rental places sell on their rental suits cheap, they might be worth a ring. one of the places in strandhill used to rent 5mm suits, i dont think they are allowed to rent boards any more so they have probably offloaded all that gear already but worth a call at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭deepriver

hey, I am looking for surf shops in the Dublin area, can anyone suggest a few, from what I can see you have...

Outdoor Trek Swords
    Great Outdoors
    53 Degrees North
    Surf Dock

Does anyone know if Surfnstuff in Bray is still open and are Wind n Wave and Onboard closed / shut / out of business?

Have I missed any?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭DonnchaMc

Deedsie wrote: »
    I would love sleeves. Problem is I already have a sleeveless wetsuit. I need to adopt this into a suitable surfing wetsuit.

My advice would be wait till the summer then, even then with rash vest you could be struggiling.. I bought a wetsuit for 100yoyos on-line from some crowd in england. I think that included the post aswell, wasnt much more if it didnt

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wipeout.wendy

peoples... was in portwest (dublin & galway) and they have loads of don't make the investment wetsuits about €60... but after years of wetsuit buying i'd have to say that things have improved hughly so you can't go too wrong for about €120 its worth it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Any recommendations for a cheap, good quality wet suit, on line or in Galway? I've been renting out gear a fair bit and the cost is beginning to add up.

Thanks.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Any recommendations for a cheap, good quality wet suit, on line or in Galway? I've been renting out gear a fair bit and the cost is beginning to add up.

Thanks.:D

Aldi or Lidl have been doing them lately, might have a few left in your local branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Any recommendations for a cheap, good quality wet suit, on line or in Galway?
    Aldi so...

Seriously, head to a proper surf shop/ outdoor store and buy a name brand, O'Neill/Cskins/Xcel. Good build quality will save money in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

kodute wrote: »
    Aldi so...

Seriously, head to a proper surf shop/ outdoor store and buy a name brand, O'Neill/Cskins/Xcel. Good build quality will save money in the long run.

Is this based on experience or assumption?

Just wondering because I've bought a lot of equipment from Lidl/Aldi over the last few years, not surfing gear but car and general DIY stuff, and found it perfectly serviceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Is this based on experience or assumption?

Just wondering because I've bought a lot of equipment from Lidl/Aldi over the last few years, not surfing gear but car and general DIY stuff, and found it perfectly serviceable.

Started as assumption, then my brother bought one against my advice, it then became experience.

Likewise I've bought plenty in those places over the years with most of it being perfectly fit for use. The wetsuits however are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

They are only good for messing around in the water once twice a year. The seams are not blind stitched so will leak water. You would be better off buying a enrtry level suit or get one in a sale. Look for blind stiched and glued seams. The brand isn't that important once it fits you well. Buy cheap but twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Ban an ti

need a new wetsuit but i'm a bit broke! anyone got any good tips for cheap surf joints....

got a cheap wetsuit in Aldi today for 34 sheets

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

I'm looking for wa cheap beginners surf board for about E100, an ex-school board of whatever would do. Anyone know where I could go???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

try adverts or there's a sticky thread on this forum with stuff for sale. Wouldn't hold my breath though for 100, reckon all you'll get is a foamy,and being honest they're just a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

kodute wrote: »
    Started as assumption, then my brother bought one against my advice, it then became experience.

Likewise I've bought plenty in those places over the years with most of it being perfectly fit for use. The wetsuits however are not.

I think you are generalising from a single specific wetsuit, which may or may not have fitted correctly. Any snug, well fitting wetsuit will probably give you good value and a certain level of warmth, and any loose wetsuit probably will not. I have bought and tried on both ALDI and LIDL wetsuits out of curiousity (since you can return them for a refund). All of the various ALDI ones I have tried did not fit well and went back, but some of the LIDL ones did. In fact my summer/autumn surf wetsuit is a LIDL Pegasus full lengh 3mm (€42 but I've seen it reduced to €22 once) which fits me like a custom suit and is perfect for summer surf when it's too cold for a shorty, and is quite toasty with a neoprene vest and neoprene shorts. I also have a LIDL Venom 12mm semi-dry wetsuit for winter snorkelling, as my O'Dare 16mm semi-dry is too warm and not very flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 eoinmcn

YourName wrote: »
    I'm looking for wa cheap beginners surf board for about E100, an ex-school board of whatever would do. Anyone know where I could go???
    Someone selling ex school boards on donedeal
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/watersports/2420142
    perfect for beginners....

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭lizgal

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

lizgal wrote: »

There's a thread about them here. Apparently they're not much good.

My mate has one of those longboards and it dings easy and the middle fin ripped out of it and it's not like he dishes out a lot of punishment to it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭lizgal

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Laurenisme

Hi guys,

Sorry to be butting in a bit. I thought this might be a good place to get a bit of advice about my Bic Natural Surf board.

The board has only one fin, the middle fin and i was looking to get two new fins but wasn't quiet sure which type to get.

As far as i know the fin that is on it now is the one that it originally came with, and as a standard i think it is the bic Symmetrical fin loc 10.5.

The question i ask is should i get two more of the fins, which seem to be quiet hard to get or could i get any fin really. Im not looking for anything fantasic or fancy or expensive just something that does the job.

So what should i do.

Sorry again if i am writing in the wrong thread!!!

Lauren

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Laurenisme wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Sorry to be butting in a bit. I thought this might be a good place to get a bit of advice about my Bic Natural Surf board.

The board has only one fin, the middle fin and i was looking to get two new fins but wasn't quiet sure which type to get.

As far as i know the fin that is on it now is the one that it originally came with, and as a standard i think it is the bic Symmetrical fin loc 10.5.

The question i ask is should i get two more of the fins, which seem to be quiet hard to get or could i get any fin really. Im not looking for anything fantasic or fancy or expensive just something that does the job.

So what should i do.

Sorry again if i am writing in the wrong thread!!!

Lauren

Thought this would be more at home in this thread.

The Bic fins are not that expensive so you're as well to stick with them, I don't think any other manufacturers fins will fit them anyway.

If you're having trouble finding them in the local surf shops try online. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭crisco10

Hey,

Got guy in office who likes surfing, was going to get him a voucher for some online vendor. Who would be the best online place for surfing gears and accesories?

Cheers.

troggs.com and bigsurf.ie aren't bad and are both irish (sort of).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 niamhg82

Have googled to death and haven't found an answer.... Anyone know where stocks o'neills wetsuits in the south west ie limerick/Clare?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Lahinch Surf Shop stocks O'Neill, I picked up a Mutant at a great price there before Christmas. Give Tom or Cliodhna a buzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 niamhg82

I had checked their website and they didn't have what I was looking for but I rang them and the guy was very helpful and found what I wanted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Tom is the right man, in the surf shop business for sooooo many years

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Msammon

Im looking to start surfing this summer. Does anyone (have/know where) to get second hand foam boards in west Ireland for cheap? Everything online seems very expensive or far away and i dont want to fork out a few hundred as im not sure if its worth it. Any help is much appreciated.thanks

Msammon wrote: »
    Im looking to start surfing this summer. Does anyone (have/know where) to get second hand foam boards in west Ireland for cheap? Everything online seems very expensive or far away and i dont want to fork out a few hundred as im not sure if its worth it. Any help is much appreciated.thanks

I wouldn't bother buying a foamy, rent one a few times then once you feel used to it buy a bic or something smilar. When you progress you'll outgrow a foamy fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Hi MSammon

Also looking for a foamie in the wesht, can't believe there are so little on the second hand sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Garry17

Msammon wrote: »

Westport

http://www.portwest.ie/0-6739/Surfboards/PORTWEST-ABYSS-FOAM-BOARD.aspx

http://www.portwest.ie/0-6727/Surfboards/PORTWEST-SCREAMER-FOAM-BOARD.aspx

Advertisement