Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading suggestions

Options
  • 23-08-2006 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

Hello there,

I was looking for some reading suggestions on books that deal with either distopian society (e.g. 1984, Brave new world, We etc.) or anything that is set in some post apocalyptic world (e.g. Oryx and Crake).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Hello there back!

All I can think of at the moment are The Stand by Stephen King and Girlfriend in a coma. Both post apopalyptic (or however you spell it - pronounce it for which I can't)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Paul Auster's In The Country of Last Things is set in a dystopian society, possibly in the future (it's never really made clear). It's pretty good. Also Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban is set in England 3,000 years after a nuclear holocaust and it's tough going but really rewarding. It's written in this weird dialect which is quite hard to read but it's really good if you like post-apocalyptic stuff (I do).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭TheFredJ

cloud atlas, for its orwell/huxley rip-offs/pastiches/homages (call em what you will).

there's that french git, houellebecq - personally i depise him, but others seem to love what he has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Thanks all. Keep em coming!
    Deer wrote:
    All I can think of at the moment are The Stand by Stephen King and Girlfriend in a coma. Both post apopalyptic (or however you spell it - pronounce it for which I can't)

Read girlfriend in a coma. Good stuff.

As for apocalypse, i couldn't spell it myself. My attempts were so bad that word couldn't recognise them :)

I'm not too smart, me! The only thing that eases my pain is the knowledge that i have enormously large genitals

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Not quite in the same sense of post-apocalyptic as any of the above but Black Rain by Masuji Ibuse is one of the most powerful books I've ever read. It details what happens to a man in Hiroshima from just before the nuclear bomb was dropped and how his life has changed in the decades that follow. He writes a diary of what happened in the days following the explosion and how it has affected his subsequent life. It's fiction but very well researched fiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Not quite on the same track but try Slaughter House 5 by Kurt Vonnegut. Its set during the fire bombings of dresdan in ww2, you cant get more apocalyptic than that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

"The Man in the High Castle" by Philip K Dick.... sci fi set after WW2 when Germany and Japan win. An interesting slant on "what if".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

^ that sounds very interesting

thanks for the suggestions everyone

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Randomly select sci-fi tbh. try philip k dick's do androids dream of electric sheep, most of the animals are wiped out and owning a live one is a status symbol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

anything by kurt vonnegut ... he's fantastic.

Hocus pocus, cat's cradle and Jailbird as well as slaughterhouse 5 are some of my favourites.. but he's a great writer.. they're all good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement