Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Experimental Music Resources

• 23-08-2006 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭

Can people suggest online resources for experimental music, specifically introductions to and foundations of. Also any ezines that deal mostly with experimental music.

Thanks, mat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Brainwashed for reviews of albums and archives of several experimental artists (I know I'm involved with this site but no one makes money from the site, I'm not a shill I swear!). Ubu Web is an absolutely essential site with all sorts of experimental art. Covers a lot of the landmark composers like Cage, Lucier, Schaeffer, MacLise, etc. Has a good bit of audio for download (legal). The Wire is a UK magazine that covers experimental music, has a lot of stuff for download/streaming on their site.

Please contribute as many sites as possible to this thread and I'll edit it into a handy resources tool. But please ensure you're not linking to bootleg/illegal downloads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

http://www.kylegann.com/complist.html

Kyle Gann is a composer of microtonal music [Just Intonation iirc]. I particularly recommend "Cinderella's Bad Magic" and "Nude Rolling Down an Escalator". This is his own site btw, so it's legal to d/l it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

musicthing.blogspot.com is a must-read blog for anyone with even a vague interest in music - plenty of experimental instruments, music machines and auto-composers have been blogged in the course of it.

Great to see this new forum popping up btw. Very vague forum, but one that'll certainly have a good following :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

The site www.epitonic.com has a lot of free and legal MP3s for download. A lot of it is basically sonic mulch of the US indie variety but there's a fair amount of not-so-mainstream stuff up there too. It's well worth a browse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Hey, I love the musicthing blog, there's some great stuff on that.

The BBC's excellent website has a section on experimental music: http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/experimental/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

An essential resource, which I should have mentioned by now, is this:

www.allmusic.com

This is a site I reference several times a week. Its range is phenomenal. Most of the names you could mention are up there (with the exception of local artists). The vast majority of artist entries feature very well written biographies, discographies, reviews, and - best of all - audio samples.

If you've ever read someone's description of a piece of music and asked yourself "Yeah, but what does it actually sound like?", then this is the site for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 PsychForm

The Wire (mag uk)
    The Sound Projector (mag uk)
    Idwal Fisher (zine uk)
    Signal To Noise (mag usa)
    E/I (emag usa)
    Degenerate (mag fin)
    iheartnoise.com (noise forum, international)
    harshnoise.com (noise forum, international)

to name a few

Psych

PsychForm Records
    Eclectic Listening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Thread locked as I've opened up a tidier thread. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement