Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surf forecasts

Options
  • 23-08-2006 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Can someone explain the surf forecasts on the likes of magic seaweed to me please? What is the deal with swells and their timimg? How does that translate to actual wave conditions? I know offshore wind is the best for surfing but that is about it. When it comes to direction and speed its a bit greek to me. I have been lucky so far. I just head off and there is waves (mighty island!) but I have this recurring nightmare that I will pull into a bay and the ocean is like glass. Help a beginner find his way!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

Since I spent my ill gotten loot on the board and wetsuit where would I be without the book when there are no waves. I found this book a good read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0906720362/026-3308008-2802022?v=glance&n=266239&s=books&v=glance

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Thanks Piraka. Have heard about that book. Will check it out. Got myself a wee bit more educated about waves and weather on magic seaweed. Just had to read the thing (always helps) rather than flick through the pages. Am crap at science though and my eyes glaze over when people use charts and big words. There was a suggestion on an old thread about the forum being used to check out local conditions on the day. That would be useful.

Advertisement