Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All in a heap!

Options
  • 23-08-2006 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hey all!
    I know yer all probably sick of messages like this by now but,
    Im startin in Ucd in a few weeks and im all in a heap with all these forms and stuff,
    Plus i am how u would say, a red arse to all this, country boy movin to the concrete jungle,
    Anywho!... if there's any one to help us first years along it would be great
    Cheers!:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Well when you come to UCD in Orientation Week there will be orientation guides to show you around UCD and introduce you generally to the place.They will be available to offer you advice.

I'm one of the orientation guides and so I would recommend that you come in UCD on Orientation Week to get your student card, free USB disk key, and to join a tour of campus and a opportunity to ask the guides general questions about social life etc.

The first weeks of college are crazy so the orientation will help.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Yep i'm one too, so is pythia and i think stepherunie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

What's a USB Disk Key?

Its a memory stick thats either 68MB or 128MB but the free UCD one for 1st years are 128MB.They're only 5 cm long.

They're really handy, you can stick them in the laptop, PC and save files.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Pedantic correction, normally they're either 64 megabytes or 128; I'm going into third year and in my first year when I did the computer orientation thingy the USB keys given out were 64MB. Then last year I was sitting in the Daedalus building looking for a house on daft.ie when a class started around me - when I left they handed me the standard issue 128MB one for 2005 thinking I was a first year. :D Anyway, tangent aside, it could well even be a 256MB one this year, as the price of that particular technology keeps getting lower.

Pedantic USB thing aside, dovescar, when you're in UCD itself the Orientation Guides (like Chakar, Pythia, Red Alert and Stepherunie) or the people within the Students' Union marquee (that'll be me - you won't be able to miss the marquee for Orientation Week, it'll be fairly central and rather huge, with loads of freebies to be had) are always a safe bet. I'm sure we'll be more than willing to help if you give us more specific queries - what exactly are the forms you're having trouble with?

• Advertisement

Thanks a million :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Cheers Chak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Chakar wrote:
    Its a memory stick thats either 68MB or 128MB but the free UCD one for 1st years are 128MB.They're only 5 cm long.

They're really handy, you can stick them in the laptop, PC and save files.
    Free USB key? Shwing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Raphael wrote:
    Free USB key? Shwing!
    Did you not read the pack? You have to attend a computer class thingie...

General ques, ye know how there's limited places in each class, would you still be okay to leave your module picking stuff to orientation cuz I'm still a bit confused on it all and don't want to make a balls of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

The pack was really, really, big =/

And according to the registration guide then the module places aren't actually handed out until september 8th. So you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Ba5tard5 get free usb keys. FFS :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Bet my pack was bigger! :D, I got a load of carp on Sci...fun...it's good to ead during my breaks at work though!

And, Vielen Dank! Seeya all the wek after next!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Yes they are 256 mb this year :D
    (and I still I have the 64 mb one I got the first time round :p )
    The computer induction takes at most 30 minutes and is so worth it for the key. Very handy for moving files around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

We didn't get them in our year. You guys were the first. Damn you.

Question: do postgrads have to do the computer course too? Many could be coming from other colleges, and as it's technically their first year in UCD too, surely they should get a key also? Just asking, is all.

Colm, just take it all one step at a time and you'll be fine. There isn't a lot of time for everything you have to do, and trying to do it all at once will just make things even harder. Make a list of what you have to sort out and work your way through it. Doesn't have to be from the top down, just add things you think of as you go along and tick off the things you've done so you know where you stand.

You shouldn't have trouble getting campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Can't believe I didn't bother going to the computer tutorial thing in 1st year, I bought my own memory key like a chump.

Hey OP, like the other posters have been saying..don't worry. I was the only person from my school who came to UCD in my year and I moved in with a gang of people I didn't know and got on with it...it really doesn't take long to learn the ropes and there's gonna be a whole lot of people in the same situation so you wont be long about making friends. If I can do it, anyone can, I'm telling ya you only get the 11 the whole way to Kilmacud once and you'll quickly realise how Dublin Bus works (and laughter from you Jackeens and you're gettin' it in the gonads!).

Also, try and come along to this boards beers thing on the 8th of september or whenever it is, it'll be a great opportunity to meet loads of people from all years and courses.

Good luck!

Advertisement