Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom - I dont want to switch back to them, but they keeping ringing me!

Options
  • 23-08-2006 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

I have my line retal with eircom and changed my calls to euphoney (all local and national calls for a tenner a month) and so i pay one bill to eircom just for line rental and a bill to euphoney for calls.

Eircom have rang me on numerous times over the past two years to come back to them and even though they should only be talking to the registered owner of the line which is me, the sales person has annoyed my wife to the point of just hanging up on them!

last month i was at home and got a call from them again. I told the lady i wanted to talk to a supervisor and then told her that it was my right not to be harassed into coming back to them and wanted to stop all contact from eircom regarding sales.

Guess what...

They rang me again last Friday.:mad:

I asked the lady on the line did she see the note on my account about not being contacted. She told me there was no record of my request and to "never mind as eircom now have got great packages to offer me!" - I hung up.:mad:

My question is this, how the hell do i get them to stop contacting me and has anyone else been through this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I got this all the time after i changed to bt.

Go ex-directory, and the next time eircom ring you tell them that your number has been removed from the national directory database and that its against the law for them to contact you (which it is if they ring you). tell them you will take legal action if they harass you again and they will stop.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

afaik if you request for them to remove you from their calling database which is used as part of their winback department, if they call you after 30 days after making this request their breaking the law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Tell them to f*ck their mothers. What can they say to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

admiralgar wrote:

Go ex-directory, and the next time eircom ring you tell them that your number has been removed from the national directory database and that its against the law for them to contact you (which it is if they ring you). tell them you will take legal action if they harass you again and they will stop.

I am ex-directory and always have been

AAAAAGGGGHHHH fecking eircom muppets!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Mention ComReg to them - not that ComReg would ever do anything, but it makes the muppet aware you know they are not supposed to contact you.

If they persist, say...'Oh just hang on a minute, I have to get the dog' and leave the phone down on a table.

They generally get the message after five minutes of hearing you potter around the house.

I used to tell them if Eircom were the last phone supplier on earth and giving it away free I would not come back to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

If you dont want Eircom to contact you just move house and ask for a new line connection. I have been waiting since March for mine and they have not returned a call once.

As soon as the physical line is connected, I'm moving provider and if they start harrasing me to switch back........:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

they are in gross breach of data protection legislation

complain to www.dataprivacy.ie

1. You are ex directory
    2. Eircom keep calling you

what caller ID shows up, if none then complain about that too

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Is it possible to bar unsolicited calls from outside the ROI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

it is also illegal for them to give out information on your account to somebody who is not the accout holder (ie talking to your wife about u not being an eircom call customer is disclosure of private information). You could legally sue them over this.

Next time they call get the name of the person who called you, their supervisors name and number and tell them to put a note on your file that you do not wish to receive any calls from them regarding any product information whatsoever in the future. If they call again after this you can make a written compalint to Eircom/comreg requesting them to stop harassing you.

but none of that will probably work coz eircom are muppets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

They've done the same in my house, we moved phone companies and even though we're ex - directory they kept ringing.

At the moment I'm threatening them seriously on my mothers behalf as they missold her a package telling her it would save her money and it cost her more - best bit it have the names and times of calls with two eircom employees who agreed with her that she was missold the product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

Hmmm, Next time they call, listen to them then gently tell them your current provider is so cheap the only way ErrorCom will get you back is by offering you free calls 24/7. It might sound crazy but thats how I got rid of them. I'm with Utv Broadband, Phone and Line Rental with free national and Uk calls off peak though I'm having a look at Bt's offering of free calls 24/7 but reading these forums am concerned that Bt are slipping down the ErrorCom slope.
    hitbit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

admiralgar wrote:

You're talking rubbish. Ex-directory means just that, you're not in the phone book, your phone number can still be obtained a myriad of other, legal ways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No Buceph, you are talking rubbish.

The basis for the national do not call list (the NDD) is the ex-directory listings.

If you are ex directory you should not get these calls unless you have opted in to them....by sending off bumf of some sort with your number on them.

Were eircom to randomly dial your number it would be OK at present but they have obviously got targetted information

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

The OP is a customer of Eircoms, they have a right to call until she asks not to be contacted for direct marketing.

As for ex-directory calls, taken from the dataprotection.ie
    How does this apply to ex-directory numbers?
    At present, the legislation under which the NDD was established specifically prevents the NDD from listing ex-directory numbers. Consequently, ex-directory subscribers will not have the additional protection afforded to those subscribers who are listed in the NDD. However, ex-directory subscribers can still express a desire not to receive further calls to callers on a case by case basis. Such callers would then be obliged not to make further calls to that number.

This means that when they look up your number they get no information on you, and following from that no instruction not to call from the NDD.

Edit: Apologies for coming accross harsh in the previous post. It was late and I didn't mean anything by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Buceph wrote:
    The OP is a customer of Eircoms, they have a right to call until she asks not to be contacted for direct marketing.

SHE? :eek:

Sorry Buceph, but thats a bit sexist! lol!

I am a married man!

Eircom don't just target female customers you know! :D
    Access wrote:
    Eircom have rang me on numerous times over the past two years to come back to them and even though they should only be talking to the registered owner of the line which is me, the sales person has annoyed my wife to the point of just hanging up on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

#Elites wrote:
    just hang up ffs! dont bother talking
    gets fairly annoying after a few months

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

gets fairly annoying after a few months

This is true, this is why abusing the hell out of them is so much more fun,
    I don't mean alittle abuse I mean ALOT! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Guys, you've no sense of fun.

Try this --

http://www.xs4all.nl/~egbg/counterscript.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

The basis of the NDD directory is not ex-directory numbers. Ex-Directory purely means that your number is not published or given out by directy enquiries and nothing else.
    I changed from ex-directory in order that I could put my preference on the NDD about 8 months ago - have gone from getting on average a marketing call a week to not getting a single marketing call since!

From NDD website -
    "How does this apply to ex-directory numbers?
    At present, the legislation under which the NDD was established specifically prevents the NDD from listing ex-directory numbers. Consequently, ex-directory subscribers will not have the additional protection afforded to those subscribers who are listed in the NDD."

You must contact your line provider to have your number Removed from the database - this can take up to 6 weeks as some marketing companies only update their marketing lust on a monthly basis.

http://www.dataprivacy.ie/viewdoc.asp?m=r&fn=/documents/guidance/faqndd.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

One more thing -

The people doing the calling are just doing their job - just like the rest of us. It might be best to be very polite and say that you are happy with your current supplier and that you have no intention ever to change and if they could kindly remove your name from their call list.

Works better than telling them to eff off as only bullies / cowards do this over a telephone line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fasterkitten

Tell them you'll ring ComReg next time. That'll sort them out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

Paulw wrote:
    Guys, you've no sense of fun.

Try this --

http://www.xs4all.nl/~egbg/counterscript.html

LoL, I have fallen of the chair :D:D:D I fully intend to use this on the next cold call by phone.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

We used to get many calls but we just told them "No, we are with UTV and they are the cheapest. Good Bye". Kept doing it till it pissed them right of. Other times, they only get half way through there first sentence and we either just say "No" and hang up, or say nothing and hang up.

As for prank calls, I normaly find asking them annoying questions shuts them up. If they keep at it, I tell them there call is being traced by the Gardai and Eircom Abuse Centre is also aware and are monitoring all calls to this line. Always shuts them up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Eircom were pestering me for ages even though i had told them many times that my name was not on the NDD. The calls stopped, then about two days later an eircom agent called to the door!!!! I started getting the calls again a few months ago from eircom and (i think,cant remember now)carphone warehouse, I told the one from eicom that i should not be receiving these calls and she asked me whom did i notify, eircom or my provider, i told her my provider and she said "well its not coming up on our computers, anyway id like to tell you about some new blah blah", at which point i decided that as she wasnt listening to me i wasnt listening to her and hung up. I dont like to be rude or insulting on the phone as i know that they are only doing their job but i am very tempted sometimes i can tell you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

If anyone feels they are getting alot (exsessive) amount of calls from eircom, pm me and i'll look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

admiralgar wrote:

Yep got the same for ages after moving to BT.

I'm already ex-dir though so that doesn't make much difference to these schmucks.

Here's how I got rid of them...I feigned interest and asked how much I could get line rental and 2mbit DSL service from them...the girl looked it up and gave me a figure around the €65 p/m region....I told her not to call me back until they could at least better BT's €45 p/m figure....and I haven't been bothered since.

These marketers are calling ex-users who they think are dumb enugh to just wander back to Eircom for cheaper calls....let them know that you know what you're on about and they'll strike you off their list.
    You could also have your number added to that database of people who don't want cold callers, but I prefered my way....

Advertisement