Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uefa Cup Thursday

• 23-08-2006 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

Derry City FC versus Gretna FC (Live Setanta Sports 1)

Drogheda Utd versus IK Start (Not live :mad: )

Derry are 5-1 up from the first leg but Gretna have since had 2 more competitive matches under their belts and will really be aiming to get some pride back after their demolishing by the eircom league leaders. Derry are bound to be tired with all their travelling over the past few weeks although Gretna were terrible in the 1st leg. They looked like an eircom league 1st division side as they found it hard to put 5 or 6 passes together. Derry have a 100% record at home and its essential this continues for our ranking co-efficients, anything less than a win will be dissappointing although we have dissappointed often before by eircom league sides in Europe.

Drogs have a very difficult job. If they concede a goal their out so IK Start should go through. Hopefully Drogs can get something for our ranking co-efficients.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Derry are without Peter Hutton and Killian Brennan. Won't be as convincing as the first leg, but I can see a victory for the candystripes.

Drogs game is at Dalymount if any Dubliners are interested in heading down to cheer them on. No O'Brien for them, huge loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Ya, because they forgot to register him. How could you forget to register your club captain for the UEFA Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

gimmick wrote:
    ^ Ya, because they forgot to register him. How could you forget to register your club captain for the UEFA Cup.
    Sure, maybe they'll knowingly play him anyways, and complain that its Ollie's fault when IK Start kick up a fuss? :eek:

Hopefully Derry stuff Gretna again, I think this time Gretna'll play better - but still expect a victory, and we as a league need it in terms of co-efficients. 3-0 Derry.

Drogs, score draw. Not a bad result in reality, but hopefully Drogs can nick a win - maybe forcing this into extya time again, but their defence has shipped a few goals, and I can't see Start being kept out - prove me wrong Drogs, please! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Prediction : Derry 2-0 Gretna , Drogheda 1-1 Start .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

gimmick wrote:

Actually very easy :D

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Once again RTE being the shower of ****s that they are wont show any of the games. Dalymount is hardly 1000 miles from broadcast hq ;)

So to summarise RTE = ***** :)

I assume If Drogheda manage to get through they'll show their next game................if they can't get Derry's that it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

If Derry get through I really hope they will keep their games at the Brandywell. Giving up home advantage = No hope against top opposition. If Derry are hoping to make the group stages they MUST play their home game at the Brandywell

Is the game definitly on Setanta? Cant see it listed?

finnpark wrote:
    If Derry get through I really hope they will keep their games at the Brandywell. Giving up home advantage = No hope against top opposition. If Derry are hoping to make the group stages they MUST play their home game at the Brandywell

The Brandywell capacity is extremely restricted for European games as far as I know, so financially it would make far more sense to move it to a larger venue and make more money, a la Shels -v- Deportivo but not a la Shels -v Lille. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I think it is on Setanta Sports 1, not the main free one on NTL etc. but Im not 100% sure. Im going to a pub to watch as I refuse to pay the 15 euro a month for the Setanta package as I already payed them 300 euro+ for Racing UK only for them to offer a few more channels and Racing UK for 15 per month:mad:

Doesn't look like its on alright:mad: How dissappointing. We will miss all the goals this time.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    The Brandywell capacity is extremely restricted for European games as far as I know, so financially it would make far more sense to move it to a larger venue and make more money, a la Shels -v- Deportivo but not a la Shels -v Lille. :rolleyes:

Did Shels go through? Did it make them rich? No. No. They stood no chance at Landsdowne. First time really playing on that pitch. Shels may have got to CL if they played in Tolka - you certainly need every advangage. Shels went for the quick buck and it was a disaster. Now they have no money and they have not got as close to group stages of either competition since. Some things in football are more important than quick money.

Derry should take the risk and go for it. Playing home away from home is so unprofessional. Drogheda managed to scrape through doing it but to give up home advantage is a mistake.

Playing 1 match in Landsdown Road will not make you rich. Playing in the Group stages of the UEFA Cup or CL will. Don't waste the chance when you get it.

finnpark wrote:
    Did Shels go through? Did it make them rich? No. No. They stood no chance at Landsdowne. First time really playing on that pitch. Shels may have got to CL if they played in Tolka - you certainly need every advangage. Shels went for the quick buck and it was a disaster. Now they have no money and they have not got as close to group stages of either competition since. Some things in football are more important than quick money.

Shels did the sensible thing for the Deportivo match by playing at Landsdowne, and got three times as many people as they would have at Tolka. Don't forget we got a massively respectable 0-0 against them. If you think we would have beaten Deportivo by three goals at Tolka thats up to you, but then you're more of a Shels fan than I am.

Shels went for the quick buck and it was by no means a disaster. Lille on the other hand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'm confident Derry will win the second leg aswell as go through.

I think Drogheda can sneak a 1-0. If they get infront, I'm confident they can hold it, then leave it in the laps of the gods at peno's (hopefully).

But if drogs concede, game over. I'm not confident of this, just being optemistic.

Come on EL, would be great to have 2 teams in the first round proper!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Well, the best of luck to both teams tonight.

There´s plenty of tasty ties waiting in the first round proper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Newcastle playing tonight no?

And if they are, is it on tv?

I doubt it. Galway Utd games arn't even on TV so I doubt it very much if theyd show a junior club from Galway.

Its on Five, they're at home to Ventspils and 1-0 up from the first leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

MrJoeSoap wrote:

yep - only 2,900 people are allowed..

• Advertisement

yep - only 2,900 people are allowed..

Weren't they given dispensation from uefa to use a further 2,000 temporary seats ? , making it 4,900 + those watching for free in the cemitary .

Big Ears wrote:
    Weren't they given dispensation from uefa to use a further 2,000 temporary seats ? , making it 4,900 + those watching for free in the cemitary .

I know there are bucket seats temporary in for the game but not sure how many. A huge night for the eircom league tonight if Drogs can join Derry in the 1st round proper.

Gretna score against the run of play. Gretna 1 Derry 0. Disaster.

It's not the end of the world, Derry should come back. By all accounts according to Radio Foyle, Derry are taking it easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

bollox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Shels went for the quick buck and it was by no means a disaster. Lille on the other hand...

I'll always remember that game as the greatest soaking I ever got from the rain at a public event :eek:

1-1.

6-2 on agg. G'WAN CITY! :D

M. Farren.

Im listening to the newcastle match online, keep us up to date on the derry game finnpark, cheers.

• Advertisement

HT: Derry 1 - 1 Gretna
    (6-2) agg

Drogs 0 - 0 IK Start 35'
    (0-1) agg

Anyone know if drogheda look like scoring?

http://shelbournefc.ie/matchzone/matchzone.php?matchid=9199&refresh=10

^^ Live text updates. Sounds like they're doing ok, but under some pressure.

Newcastle are all over Ventspils, Duff, Milner and Zogs are running rings around them lol! nooone to get on the end of all the crosses they are providing though! 0-0 half time.

Derry should win. All over them. Good chances too. Looks good but their goalie pulled off a wonder save.

• Advertisement

Not on terrestrial tv?

2-1

7-2 agg

Ken Oman!

Im probably a massive 5 seconds too late here but GOAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kEN oMAN 2-1. sTAY ON, NEED THE CO-EFFS

Derry have a reserve side out. Becket, Martyn and Derery come on.

Newcastle are all over Ventspils, Duff, Milner and Zogs are running rings around them lol! nooone to get on the end of all the crosses they are providing though! 0-0 half time.

Yes, it looks good. Start defense is shaky.

2-2 fcuk

Thats 0.166 of a co-efficient down the drain.

• Advertisement

2-2. Comms thought the ref gave offisde?

Apparently scored by Baldacino? Used to play for Blackburn Rovers or something?

Still not bad considering the team Derry have out. Their game against us on Sunday is much more important!

FT: Derry 7 - 3 Gretna (agg)

Now, so far this season; Derry have thumped Gretna out of Europe, and beaten Gothenburg twice - sending them packing too! Heroes! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Drogs Equalizer! Zayed!

Yes Yes Yes!!!!!!!! :D

Can I listen online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Get in!

It is on RTE EUROPE radio channel on satellite (eurobird 1 28 east) or it is on sky boxes.

damien duff man of the match

It is on RTE EUROPE radio channel on satellite (eurobird 1 28 east) or it is on sky boxes.
    MW567, LW252 - normal radios! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement