Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uefa Cup Thursday

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Unlucky Drogs! Had me roaring at my radio!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Nick wrote:
    I think Drogheda can sneak a 1-0. If they get infront, I'm confident they can hold it, then leave it in the laps of the gods at peno's (hopefully).

Great call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

U couldnt make that up............... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Listened to this on the radio. Was pacing across the kitchen for the whole of extra time and penos. Gutted for Graham Gartland.
    By the way, shame on RTE. This is what they were showing while this drama was unfolding:

20:00 TWO WILD: NATURE'S ASSASSINS
    21:00 STACKED
    21:30 FILM SCREEN TWO: DOWN TO EARTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Jesus. Pity this game wasn't shown on RTE. 11-10 on penos. Whats the deal here. Must the takers be in the same order or what?

Cant say I feel sorry for Graham Gartland. 2 penos missed? Well done to Drogs on getting the co-effiecient points, and my holiday is safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

That was unreal was just following the updates on foot.ie and could barely take the tension, would have been great to have two Irish teams into the first round proper. Hopefully Derry can get a beatable team, does anybody have a list of the teams Derry can get??

That was unreal was just following the updates on foot.ie and could barely take the tension, would have been great to have two Irish teams into the first round proper. Hopefully Derry can get a beatable team, does anybody have a list of the teams Derry can get??

Eins posted that in the thread of the first leg I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

What ever happened to best player 1st ?

Please stop with the coefficent its meaningless, you can only beat who is front of you.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

I'd say once it got to the 8-8 or so stage........ the thought popped into gartland's head "OMG.. I might have to take another......" and "..can you imagine
    missing twice......"

Then when the poor guy was going to take the 2nd, he must have known that the same thought was going thru *everyone* else' head - "will he miss again..?".

That's mental pressure lads :eek:

• Advertisement

Seeded teams                   coef.     Unseeded teams                 coef.
    ------------------------ --- -------     ------------------------ --- -------
    Brøndby IF               Den  23.593     Valur Reykjavik          Isl   1.595
    Lyn Oslo                 Nor   8.921     IA Akranes               Isl   1.595
    Start Kristiansand       Nor   6.921     Drogheda United          Irl   1.430
    SK Brann Bergen          Nor   6.921     Derry City               Irl   1.430
    Randers FC               Den   5.593     Flora Tallinn            Est   0.880
    IFK Göteborg             Swe   4.372     Levadia Tallinn          Est   0.880
    Åtvidabergs FF           Swe   4.372     Glentoran                Nir   0.770
    Gefle IF                 Swe   4.372     Portadown                Nir   0.770
    Haka Valkeakoski         Fin   3.433     Rhyl FC                  Wal   0.770
    FK Ventspils             Lat   3.365     Llanelli FC              Wal   0.770
    HJK Helsinki             Fin   2.433     Jeunesse d'Esch          Lux   0.605
    Skonto Riga              Lat   2.365     Etzella Ettelbrück       Lux   0.605
    FBK Kaunas               Lit   1.925     GI Gotu                  Far   0.550
    Suduva Marijampole       Lit   1.925     Skala IF                 Far   0.550

Central-East region (20 teams):

FC Basel                 Sui  49.537     Georgia Tbilisi          Geo   2.090
    FC Petrzalka             Svk  13.070     FC Vaduz                 Lie   1.485
    Young Boys               Sui   8.537     BATE Borisov             Bls   1.457
    Zaglebie Lubin           Pol   6.104     Dinamo Minsk             Bls   1.457
    FC Fehérvár              Hun   4.840     Mika Ashtarak            Arm   0.990
    Újpest TE                Hun   4.840     Banants Yerevan          Arm   0.990
    Spartak Trnava           Svk   4.070     Garabag Agdam            Azb   0.660
    Zimbru Chisinau          Mol   3.255     Karvan Evlakh            Azb   0.660
    Nistru Otachi            Mol   2.255     Tobol Kustanai           Kaz   0.550
    Ameri Tbilisi            Geo   2.090     Kairat Almaty            Kaz   0.550

Southern-Mediterranean region (22 teams):

Rapid Bucuresti          Rom  30.381     Omonia Nicosia           Cyp   3.355
    FC Lovech                Bul  24.016     NK Koper                 Slo   3.355
    Dinamo Bucuresti         Rom  22.381     NK Orasje                Bos   2.695
    CSKA Sofia               Bul  21.016     Vardar Skopje            Mac   2.760
    KSV Roeselare            Bel   9.981     Makedonija Skopje        Mac   1.760
    Varteks Varazdin         Cro   9.647     SK Tirana                Alb   1.210
    Lokomotiv Sofia          Bul   8.016     Dinamo Tirana            Alb   1.210
    APOEL Nicosia            Cyp   6.355     Hibernians FC            Mlt   0.880
    NK Domzale               Slo   5.355     Sliema Wanderers         Mlt   0.880
    NK Rijeka                Cro   4.647     Ràngers FC               And   0.000
    FK Sarajevo              Bos   3.695     Murata                   Sma   0.000

I'm sure some of those teams (Drogs for example) have been knocked out tonight.

KdjaCL wrote:
    What ever happened to best player 1st ?

And was Dan Connor ahead of Whelan? Wtf?

Irish teams in Europe: 2006

FK Vetra	0-1	Shelbourne
    Shelbourne	4-0	FK Vetra
    OB Odense	3-0	Shelbourne
    Shelbourne	1-0	OB Odense

Cork City	1-0	Apollon Limasol
    Apollon Limasol	1-1	Cork City
    Cork City	0-1	Red Star Belgrade
    Red Star Bel...	3-0	Cork City

HJK Helsinki	1-1	Drogheda United
    Drogheda United	3-1	HJK Helsinki
    IK Start	1-0	Drogheda United
    Drogheda United	1-0	IK Start
    Penalties:     (10-11)

IFK Göteborg	0-1	Derry City
    Derry City	1-0	IFK Göteborg
    Gretna FC	1-5	Derry City
    Derry City	2-2	Gretna FC
    (Still not out).

P  W D L F  A
    16 9 3 4 21 14  

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Cheers for that but I think it's missing a few teams, I can't see Newcastle there anyway.

Cheers for that but I think it's missing a few teams, I can't see Newcastle there anyway.

Sorry yeah, didnt really look at it properly. Theres the original link:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51877956&postcount=99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Newcastle arent Irish perhaps?

EDIT: you are referring to MJS' post, nor Einstuzendes one. Sorry.

That must be the best return irish clubs have ever had in Europe? And it could get better. Hopefully an equally good showing for the next few years, and who knows? No more 1st rounds.

Sevilla (TH)             Esp  61.006     CSKA Sofia *             Bul  21.016
    Newcastle United @       Eng  75.950     Tottenham Hotspur        Eng  20.950
    Panathinaikos            Gre  66.587     West Ham United          Eng  20.950
    Schalke 04               Ger  64.960     Dinamo Zagreb ***        Cro  20.647
    Parma                    Ita  63.020     Red Star Belgrade ***    Srb  20.600
    Ajax ***                 Ned  60.640     Hearts FC ***            Sco  20.023
    Bayer Leverkusen         Ger  57.960     Maccabi Haifa ***        Isr  19.108
    Feyenoord                Ned  54.640     Standard Liège ***       Bel  17.981
    AJ Auxerre @             Fra  53.757     Sporting Braga           Por  17.533
    Club Brugge **           Bel  49.981     AS Nancy Lorraine        Fra  16.757
    FC Basel *               Sui  49.537     Legia Warsaw ***         Pol  16.104
    Olympique Marseille @    Fra  48.757     Eintracht Frankfurt      Ger  15.960
    AZ Alkmaar               Ned  48.640     Vitória Setúbal          Por  15.533
    Hertha BSC @             Ger  46.960     Nacional Funchal         Por  14.533
    Sparta Praha             Cze  44.769     FC Groningen             Ned  13.640
    Glasgow Rangers          Sco  43.023     FC Petrzalka *           Svk  13.070
    Celta de Vigo            Esp  43.006     Iraklis Thessaloniki     Gre  12.587
    Paris Saint-Germain      Fra  41.757     Xanthi FC                Gre  12.587
    Lokomotiv Moscow         Rus  41.504     Trabzonspor **           Tur  11.634
    RC Lens                  Fra  39.757     Atromitos FC             Gre  10.587
    Besiktas                 Tur  38.634     Rubin Kazan **           Rus  10.504
    Palermo                  Ita  36.020     Zulte Waregem            Bel   9.981
    Slavia Praha **          Cze  33.769     Metalurg Zaporizhia **   Ukr   9.777
    Espanyol                 Esp  33.006     Molde FK **              Nor   8.921
    Heerenveen               Ned  30.640     Chernomorets Odesa **    Ukr   8.777
    Partizan Belgrade **     Srb  30.600     Mladá Boleslav ***       Cze   8.769
    Rapid Bucuresti *        Rom  30.381     Austria Salzburg ***     Aut   8.723
    Wisla Kraków **          Pol  29.104     Kayserispor @            Tur   8.634
    Slovan Liberec ***       Cze  28.769     OB Odense @              Den   8.593
    Fenerbahçe ***           Tur  28.634     FC Sion **               Sui   8.537
    Austria Wien ***         Aut  27.723     Lokomotiv Sofia *        Bul   8.016
    Hapoel Tel-Aviv **       Isr  26.108     Start Kristiansand *     Nor   6.921
    Osasuna ***              Esp  25.006     SV Pasching              Aut   6.723
    FC Lovech *              Bul  24.016     SCP Ruzomberok ***       Svk   6.070
    Blackburn Rovers         Eng  23.950     Randers FC *             Den   5.593
    Brøndby IF *             Den  23.593     Åtvidabergs FF *         Swe   4.372
    Grasshoppers Zürich @    Sui  23.537     Ethnikos Achna @         Cyp   3.355
    Chievo Verona ***        Ita  23.020     Rabotnicki Skopje ***    Mac   1.760
    Dinamo Bucuresti *       Rom  22.381     Derry City *             Irl   1.430
    Livorno                  Ita  22.020     Levadia Tallinn *        Est   0.880

Updated I do believe.

// EDIT :: Levadia Talinn got that far?! :eek:

I assume its a simple case of a seeded pot and an unseeded one? Or are there country restrictions to stop two teams from one country playing etc?

Straight out draw I think. Any British teams and I'm going over! Their home leg will be in Dublin probably?

• Advertisement

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Their home leg will be in Dublin probably?

Will be interesting to see what they do alright, any of the bigger seeded teams and they'll definitely have to move.

It'd be Lansdowne or Windsor surely? Either is easily accesible! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I hope its Rangers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    It'd be Lansdowne or Windsor surely? Either is easily accesible! :D

Derry's Chairman has already expressed his doubts about using Windsor based on the fact that they have a predominantly nationalist following. I hope they get one of the big teams but there is something in my head telling me if they get a smaller team then they should stay at The Brandywell. I think this would maximise their chances of progression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I hope they get the most beatable team possible

UEFA rules kinda rule out the brandywell its not a matter of choice for them.

The rules change when you hit the 1st round as rgds ground.

I would fancy them vs Rangers Newcastle or West Ham but not Spurs, i hope they one the 1st 3.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

KdjaCL wrote:
    UEFA rules kinda rule out the brandywell its not a matter of choice for them.

The rules change when you hit the 1st round as rgds ground.

I would fancy them vs Rangers Newcastle or West Ham but not Spurs, i hope they one the 1st 3.

kdjac

Apologies KdjaCL. I wasn't aware of that. It would appear that Landsdowne is the only available option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

KdjaCL wrote:
    Please stop with the coefficent its meaningless, you can only beat who is front of you.
    If progress is still being made at this rate then it won't be long before the EL winners get automatic entry into the 2nd qualifying round. Look at the likes of the premiership. They get 4 CL places. The EL has to keep improving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

soma wrote:
    I'd say once it got to the 8-8 or so stage........ the thought popped into gartland's head "OMG.. I might have to take another......" and "..can you imagine
    missing twice......"

Then when the poor guy was going to take the 2nd, he must have known that the same thought was going thru *everyone* else' head - "will he miss again..?".

That's mental pressure lads :eek:

Not long back from dalymount. Great night, gutted for drogs. Gartland was on his knees after he missed his first peno, only got up onto his feet after the 8th or so. He was in bits at the end. Bar the 3 missed penos, all the penos were super. The two keepers took great penos aswell.

Well done drogs on another super night of European football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Take an italian side - they may be ejected fropm the comp.

Otherwise I'd say Rangers are beatable maybe Brondby and Brugge or Vienna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

KdjaCL wrote:

Looks like Spurs won't be seeded anyway, so no chance. Know a few boys who were looking forward to a trip over and all...

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    If progress is still being made at this rate then it won't be long before the EL winners get automatic entry into the 2nd qualifying round. Look at the likes of the premiership. They get 4 CL places. The EL has to keep improving.

Eb maybe you have forgotten the EL is made up of more than 4 professional teams, so the coefficent suits who? People who need to shout that the EL is great or people who actually go to the EL?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

eirebhoy wrote:

The improving coefficient isn't as miniscule as some think , there has been real progression .

I you judge us on the last 5 years(not included what has happened this year) we are 40th in Europe out of 52 .

If you judge us on the last 5 years(including this season) we are 35th .

If you judge us on the last 4 years(including this season) we are 35th .

If you judge us on the last 3 years(including this season) we are 29th.

if you judge us on the last 2 years(including this season) we are 23rd.

So basically if we maintain the performance of last season and this season(which very well could provide more points) for the next 3 years we will be 23rd .

Being placed 23rd would give us a bye into the 2nd round of Champions League qualifying and 2 places off an an extra uefa Cup place .

Now we might do better or worse in the next 3 years than we have done this year and last year , however we are going to progress a fair bit in the coefficients and sometime in the future we will be getting byes to further rounds and extra teams in Europe , aswell as the higher country coefficient helping seeding for Irish clubs .

Get it into your head KdjaC , if Pats qualify for Europe in the next few years they will be significantly helped by what these other clubs are doing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

KdjaCL knows that since hes a pats fan, the coeffiecient will never be something he needs to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Ohh nailed him there!

KdjaCL knows that since hes a pats fan, the coeffiecient will never be something he needs to worry about.

...............if Longford can get into Europe anyone can .

Derry will face one of:

Panathinaikos
    Hertha Berlin
    PSG
    Austria Vienna
    Litex (Hungary)

For the money? PSG/Hertha.

For the chance of progression? Vienna or Litex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What time is the draw?

Starts at noon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Say thankya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Well done to Drogs on getting us another 0.3333pts last night. The average co-efficient will be a record high for modern times at least. Hope Derry don't play both legs away from home. They have a hard enough task as it is.

• Advertisement

finnpark wrote:
    Well done to Drogs on getting us another 0.3333pts last night. The average co-efficient will be a record high for modern times at least. Hope Derry don't play both legs away from home. They have a hard enough task as it is.

What is the logical reasoning behind playing at the Brandywell if they get PSG or Hertha Berlin?

The Brandywell is unsuitable for the first round of the Uefa Cup , that isn't my stance , it's not the clubs stance but it's uefa's stance so the home game will either be at Windsor or Landsdowne . Windsor has already been offered to Derry but they are unsure whether it's the safest option for travelling fans(and I assume an extra police required would have to be paid by Derry , which would be costly)

So it looks like Landsdowne to me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

lucky enough to get a ticket for the derry match.. the atmosphere was unbelievable...

without a doubt the crowd would be the 12th player but with the Brandywell not an option.. Landsdowne it is.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Big Ears wrote:
    The Brandywell is unsuitable for the first round of the Uefa Cup , that isn't my stance , it's not the clubs stance but it's uefa's stance so the home game will either be at Windsor or Landsdowne . Windsor has already been offered to Derry but they are unsure whether it's the safest option for travelling fans(and I assume an extra police required would have to be paid by Derry , which would be costly)

So it looks like Landsdowne to me .

I think yuo must be wrong their as Jim Roddy has stated that they will decide in the next 24hrs whether or not to play the match at the Brandywell. They have the option - at least thats how I would interpret that.

finnpark wrote:
    I think yuo must be wrong their as Jim Roddy has stated that they will decide in the next 24hrs whether or not to play the match at the Brandywell. They have the option - at least thats how I would interpret that.

Its either 2k at brandywell of possibly 15k in lansdwone, there has to be 500 seperate seats for away fans, brandywell doesnt have that only one stand.

kdjac

Advertisement