Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD wall mounting question?

Options
  • 23-08-2006 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I will be purchasing a LCD screen in the next while (currently looks like being the 37" R7 Samsung) and have a spot picked out for it on the wall in my sitting room.

My question relates to how I should go about the job of mounting it on that particular wall.

The wall is between two houses and is constructed of block with a rough-coat of plaster over it. Then there are plasterboard slabs mounted outside the wall with dabs of bonding of some sort. The gap between the slab and the solid wall is approx 1" - 1.5".

Any ideas on what way I should approach this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭lifebook

you are dealing with whats called a blobbed wall, exactly what I had in my last place. I had to cut out pieces of the hard wall and then add concrete mounds to the wall. THen when they were dry I had to use a long drill bit to go throught the mound and into the wall. I then used extra long rawl bolts to hang the clamp. Lots of hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

I'm not into wall mounting LCD's. I would only consider it if you have a large room that the TV is going in, otherwise you will be constantly looking up to watch TV and get neck ache. Too many people at the moment feel that as they have a falt TV it MUST go on the wall.

Just my 2cents

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I mounted my 32" Samsung R7 on the same type of wall about 2 weeks ago.

When doing it, it would depend on what type of bracket you are going to use. The one I used was the type that had a mounting plate about 500mm x 300mm that you attach to the wall and then attach the clips (see pic) to the TV and then hook them onto the mounting plate.

I done so much research on to how to mount the bracket that my head was in a spin. Every time I'd check out a different forum someone would have suggested a different way to mount it. Everything from cutting away the plasterboard to filling the gaps behind the plasterboard with No More Nails to attaching a piece of MDF to the plasterboard etc. etc.

In the end what I did (on the advice of a friend that knows his DIY) was mount the plate with brown rawlplugs with 2" long screws that you'd get in any DIY store. I put 4 screws in the top and 2 at the bottom.

You drill a hole through the plasterboard and into the blockwork behind. The hole should be just slightly longer than the screw that you are using.

Then insert a straw into the hole to blow out any remaining dust.

Get one of the screws and screw it slightly into the rawlplug and then with a hammer bang it into the hole in the wall. When it's in place give it a few turns with a screwdriver so that the rawlplug expands. Unscrew the screw and then repeat with all the other holes.

Then get your mounting plate and attached it to the wall.

You don't really need to anymore ellaborate than that.

Ideally when you're drilling the holes you should go through the Dabs of plaster that are used to hold the plasterboard onto the wall but I wouldn't worry too much I you don't.

Hope this this helps.

Any more questions just ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

I'm not going to be mounting the tv too high off the ground so neck strain won't be a problem. I find tv stands are just too low for comfort. Myself and the gf spent a while one day with a cardboard cutout of the screen sizes we were considering sticking it on at different heights and positions in order to determine where the tv would be and we agreed on wall mounted with the base of the screen about 1.1m off the ground.

BaZmO* - I was going to go this way but decided to check if anyone had any other suggestions. With the weight involved I can't see a problem as long as the plug & screw are properly in the block wall behind.

lifebook - This is probably quite similar to what I'd do if I had the tv and bracket before I finish the walls as I'd be able to figure out exactly where anything to fill the gap would need to go. I will not be getting the tv until after I have the walls painted so I don't know where to put anything.

The other option I had considered was to cut out a largeish section of the wall behind where the tv would be and fix timber to the wall to fill the gap. After that the slab could be replaced, the cut filled and when the tv arrived I would be able to put screws into the timber behind the slab.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Get one of the screws and screw it slightly into the rawlplug and then with a hammer bang it into the hole in the wall. When it's in place give it a few turns with a screwdriver so that the rawlplug expands. Unscrew the screw and then repeat with all the other holes.

I agree with everything except this part!

Screw the screw into the first bit of the rawlplug and then tap the screw/rawlplug gently into place with a hammer.

You should be tapping the screw to position the rawlplug in the hole - not forcing the screw any further into the rawlplug. Once the rawlplug has been positioned in the hole, cease hammering and start screwing!

I have no idea why you would now 'Unscrew the screw' so ignore that part totally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

pH wrote:
    I agree with everything except this part!

Screw the screw into the first bit of the rawlplug and then tap the screw/rawlplug gently into place with a hammer.

You should be tapping the screw to position the rawlplug in the hole - not forcing the screw any further into the rawlplug. Once the rawlplug has been positioned in the hole, cease hammering and start screwing!
    Bang/Tap - Tomaytoe/Tomatoe

pH wrote:
    I have no idea why you would now 'Unscrew the screw' so ignore that part totally.
    How then do you suggest he gets the bracket onto the wall?

OP. The weight involved is minimal especially when you consider how a radiator is hanged on a wall and a radiator would be an awful lot heavier than an LCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Any wall brackets that I have installed were mostly on concrete/redbrick type walls.
    I just now buy a no 8 rawlbolt and use them to attach the bracket with the supplied bolts.
    In my experience I found that using a ratchet and a bolt rather than rawl plugs and screws feels more safe.

In terms of partitions I use the thick girth 1 1/2 spax screws (cant think of the full spec of hand), into wood.
    In my own case at home I am planning on installing 2no 3x1 battens between the existing studs.

Damage will always be done on a plasterboard partition wall if the studs are too wide apart.
    It's the installation of grounds for the bracket that are the heartache.

That's why I love it when a chimney breast is mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Quick question, lads. Does anyone know of anyone who does this professionally? I'm a bit wary of trying it myself.

PM if necessary. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Full install or just the bracket?

Off the top of my head would be instacom.

Advertisement