Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this acceptable?

• 23-08-2006 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Hello

Is it ok to wear a tie with a tux at your debs?Not into the waistcoat and dickie type thing!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

Yes it is! Most of the lads wore a tie at mine. I think they look better actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

There is nothing wrong with wearing a tie, but it is rather mundane as they are worn everyday by businessmen and may professionals. A bow is seen to be more dressy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

A tie is never worn with a tux. I've done it (once) and I regretted it later. Better over dressed than under. And the waistcoat is integral to a tux. If you don't like the whole tuxedo look, wear a dark suit. Also, if you buy it, you'll get more use out of it. If you're not comfortable in a tux, it shows. That's why so many people at debs look ridiculous. Like dressing a monkey up in childrens clothes. Cruel and unnatural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

il gatto wrote:
    If you're not comfortable in a tux, it shows. That's why so many people at debs look ridiculous. Like dressing a monkey up in childrens clothes.
    And thats before the whole things turns into a rampant teenage drunken orgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

gillo wrote:
    rampant teenage drunken orgy.
    YUSS!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

abetarrush wrote:
    YUSS!!!!!!!!!!! :D
    Ever hear of the phrase 'off like a Debs dress':p

OP yeah a tie will be perfect. At all the Debseses... I've been to thats what the majority of the guys wore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Most of the lads wore them at my Debs as i can (very dimly) recollect! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Don't think it looks the best to be honest. As someone pointed out, people in business wear suit and ties all the time and I think if you want to impress your date in any way it's nice to make the effort!;)

Sorry. I meant a waistecoat is an integral part of tails. Not a tux. Never wear a waistecoat with a tux. You'd look a complete fool to the other revellers.:rolleyes:
    No. I know nobody would notice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

I wasn't mad in to the whole waistcoat and dickie thing either. To be honest, depending on what you get, if it's a suit not a tux, it looks so much better with a waistcoat than without. i was converted. And if you don't like the dickie, try a french tie. I wore one for the three debs I was at and they're the business. They don't look as stupid as a dickie but they're dressier and a lot less mundane than a tie. have a look http://www.ktbridal.co.uk/images/suit/etiquette.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Don't get a waistcoat no matter what. Looks very knackery at grads and debs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Get a "tie it yourself" bow-tie. Far classier than one with elastic.
    Waistcoat? No, No, No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

N_Raid wrote:
    They don't look as stupid as a dickie but they're dressier and a lot less mundane than a tie. have a look http://www.ktbridal.co.uk/images/suit/etiquette.jpg

More suitable for a wedding.

Waistcoats are not part of a tux. Only a morning suit (e.g. at weddings), a three piece suit or tails. Dickie bow should be worn with a tux. I'm not a fan of them myself, but that's the correct thing to do. A waiste coat looks knackery when you take off your jacket. It looks fine under one. If it's getting a bit hot, take off jacket and waistecoat to avoid ensuing knackerdom:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

OSiriS wrote:
    More suitable for a wedding.

Yeah thats what I thought. But I've been to 3 debs in the last 2 years and with the amount of people wearing them I would nearly say it's the norm to wear one.

Advertisement