Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Clocking

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

On a lighter note, a friend of mine has been the motor trade for over 35 years, he still remembers the first car he sold , a Hillman Avenger, it was 4 years old with 8000 miles. He couldn't shift it as everyone who looked at it reckoned it was clocked, he even contacted the original owner who confirmed the mileage as genuine. Still couldn't sell ,so he wound the clock onto 24000 miles and he sold it the next day:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,309 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Blue850 wrote:
    On a lighter note, a friend of mine has been the motor trade for over 35 years, he still remembers the first car he sold , a Hillman Avenger, it was 4 years old with 8000 miles. He couldn't shift it as everyone who looked at it reckoned it was clocked, he even contacted the original owner who confirmed the mileage as genuine. Still couldn't sell ,so he wound the clock onto 24000 miles and he sold it the next day:D

My old man bought a 2003 Honda Civic in Feb 2005 with 28k on the clock. It now only has 35k on the clock.

My uncle has a 2003 Peugeot 307 and has clocked up only 10k miles on it since new. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

A friend of mine knows a guy who will come to your home/work etc and clock your car for €100 with a laptop, no questions asked.Can car makers not put password protected software or something to stop the clocks being tampered with.I know they probably couldn't be bothered but it certainly wouldn't be difficult. At least with the reverse drill method it was fairly easy to spot on normal clocks, God knows how many people are being fleesed now.

.........most new cars with digi dashes can be clocked easily with a laptop however it is only the display you are changing. Normally the ECU also records the mileage in two different formats, so say you leave in you particularly nice E-Class to see about a trade in and its an E-220CDI, white, manual and the mileage is questionable so they wonder if its a taxi. They take it in aand plug in the ECU and discover the true mileage !

Problem is only the main dealer can do it, and as mentioned most of these ARE honest. Definitely the second hand car dealers buying recent cars with over 70,000 miles up are the ones to watch !

There are guys advertising in AutoTrader all the time "correcting" mileages. I cant understand how they cant set up a sting operation ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

My brother's place were selling an '05 3 series with something like 60,000kms on it. The girl that was buying it got her da to have a look at the car. He said he wanted to get the mileage verified. The salesman said "Err, do you not think if we were going to clock an '05 car we would have gone back a bit further?"

I was told the key is all a BMW dealer needs to check the mileage. Not sure about this though 'cos my spare key hasn't been near the car for at least 8k miles.

Advertisement