Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What do you make of Hyundai Sonatas?

Options
  • 23-08-2006 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

My old man is looking for a car in or around 6-7k. He'd really like an Avensis but you'd have to go fairly old to get one for that price.

I gave him the advice I read on a thread here from someone with a similar budget - pretty much that the Avensis and Mondeo are very good options in this price bracket, as are Octavias and Primeras, while Vectras have a few more problems.

He looked into 2000, 2001 Avensis and Mondeo prices online and they came in a bit higher than his budget, so he looked at a Hyundai Sonata and, being the type to rush into something, is probably gonna buy it tomorrow. It's a 2.0 litre 2001 with 40k on the clock, sunroof, alloys, leather upholstery, and he'd get it for around 6.5k. There's another one for a grand cheaper but he was put off when he saw it cos it has a toebar - is that a good call or madness?

I just wanted to see if anyone knows of any major problems with sonata's that should stop him from getting it, or if you think it's a good choice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No major probems with Sonatas, quite a well built car. Not great to drive. There's great spec on those Sonatas, and from some angles they're not too bad looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

super shrewd. you can get them for a song and they are simply a very good car overall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Canny choice! The Sonata is a big roomy comfy car, and usually well appointed. Fairly reliable from what I've heard.

The towbar issue on the other one you mentioned may not be a big issue - many people put towbars on just to offer some protection to the back of their car. On the other hand, the car could have been worked hard with a caravan, horsebox, etc..
    I'd take it for a good long drive to see what it was like before dismissing it, taking a good look at the rear suspension of the car (ie. is it down on its back wheels), check is there much wear on the clutch, and listen for any noise's or whines from the gearbox.

Slightly OT, the new model Sonata Diesel is a fine car, and one to watch out for in about 2 years time, when someone else has taken a big hit on depreciation.

It's quite common for the 2.0 petrol unit to be a bit whiney. they're all like that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

My uncle bought an 03 with 20k recently for €6k! It also had an service history and was in immaculate condition. The interior is cheap looking and the leather looks thin, but other than that it looks very impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Grand car as others have said but the only warning I would give you is don't buy a new one. The depreciation on them is huge which makes them a super bargin second hand. Alot of car for very little money when used.

The new model is faring fairly well second hand, with the new 130bhp diesel they're selling quite a few new ones as well,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭sk8board

agree by and large with everyone. Would be excellent reliable 2nd hand buy. Ride quality is INCREDIBLY soft tho! (making it the perfect dads car??!)

The new one is very Camry-ish

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

maidhc wrote:
    My uncle bought an 03 with 20k recently for €6k!

Great bargain at that! :eek:

Your uncle must be an excellent negotiator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote:
    Great bargain at that! :eek:

Your uncle must be an excellent negotiator

Plays golf with a fleet manager. The car was bought over a round and delivered to the golf course car park the next day. He never saw it prior to that!

He was looking for another 5 series to replace his 1995 520i, but this proved too cheap for him to resist.

Advertisement