Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding an NTL cable point

Options
  • 23-08-2006 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

When the NTL lads were wiring my house for cable connection during renovations they ran a single wire from the outside into the attic, then used splitters off that to run cables to 3 rooms. They left me with another box to use when the extension to the side went on.

So now I need to run a cable from the attic to the extension and connect it to the cable in the attic in such a way that I can use the cable connection in the extension for both broadband and digital TV.

If I can figure out what cable they use I reckon I can sort it from there as it should just be a matter of finding the right splitter (though I think they even left me with one of them, sound lads).

Anyone know what cable I'm after?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd presume it's standard fare coaxial cable? Have you not looked at it?

Generally (assuming it's coaxial cable) they use a sort of foam-filled RG6 coaxial cable that's usually sticky on the inside!

You could do one better and use CT100 as it has lower loss in signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Frank,

I dont know the cable but I might try to read it off the core tonight, I do know that when I tried to hook up a TV point to the cable modem cable that it did not work, The modem cable is white and has its own link from the ntl box outside, where it runs through a filter before connecting to the modem.
    therefore if the modem cable (with the filter removed) wont let the TV run over it , it is quite possible that it wont work the other way either. So I dont think that CT100 cable will do the job,

When i wired my place I left all the TV cable in the attic and brought one link over to the NTL box, when they hooked me up they used this CT100 cable. When I applied for broadband, they went to the bother of cabling a new point directly from the outside junction box to the PC.
    I'd say if you ring NTL they will tell you, we work with NTL alot , they are fairly quick to tell us what type they want

sorry if this cut across you Byte, I could still be wonrg.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Oh, indeed, you may be right. I'm not very familiar with the cable that NTL uses nowadays. It may be of higher grade to CT100 to cope with high frequencies perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Tried ringin NTL but takes ages to get through and they know feck all when you do.

Electrician ran in some RG59 cable from the attic (which is where the NTL lads did all their branching off) to the extension. He says this will carry cable broadband and digital tv to the extension with no bandwidth problems and that the rest of the cable in the attic is RG59. Is he right?

I'm thinking it could be CT100 used by NTL. Today is last chance to correct it as I'm slabbing the ceilings. I'm thinking of running a length of CT100 from the attic to extension just to be sure, sound like a good plan? Anyone know where I can get CT100 by the metre (need about 20metres) and how much it should cost? Radionics do 100metres of CT100 for €60, but if can get 20metres for around €20 I'll just do that.

give me 1/2 an hour frank. We are doing a load of apartments in Dublin CC at the monent and I checked this for you we are using the same cable for BB and TV, I just want to get the name correct for you. I should also be in a position to get it for you FOC if your Dublin based. I'll PM you you with details if you need it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

good man Stoner, nice one. Yep, I'm based in Crumlin but could meet anywhere in Dublin.

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I'd like to know hat cable you using aswelll.

just CT100 co ax

Advertisement