Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Fitness etc...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Just bring a defib, iron lung and 20 smokes and we be fine.

:)

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

lo well between me and Ms Nurse_Baz (also a nurse) we're in the process of putting together a medical bag with various bits and pieces in it, along with the all important magic sponge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Cheers for them links.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Three years ago I played for a team and on the first match one of the locals
    came out to give me a sponge because I was "in the wars" in that match.

Ever since I bring towel which I wet to wipe off the blood. But there wont be
    any of that on astro matches, I hope. Magic sponge idea, kinda.

No slide tackling I read in the rules. Im a good tackler so that takes away from
    some of my game. Not that I would want to tackle on plastic grass (ouch)

edit: thats a lot of reading!! Great links

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

As I said in another post here somewhere, I can give a hand out with the coaching aspect, Ive done a bit and had a few "decent" coaches over the years aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

My feet are in bits from last night, new boots etc, not just blisters, but torn skin and cuts too. Having trouble even walking. Any suggestions?

cormie wrote:
    My feet are in bits from last night, new boots etc, not just blisters, but torn skin and cuts too. Having trouble even walking. Any suggestions?

Lol walk it off soldier or go for a swim.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Baz said there is cream for blisters so you should try that.

I had a lot of problems with blisters a few weeks back. After 2 weeks of letting
    them heal by themselves while also playing with them, they never got better.
    So I burst the ones that had fluid in them and walked around in my bare feet
    at home for a few days. Then I took off any dead skin or half on half off skin.
    Walked around in my bare feet a bit. Before my next game I put loads of talcom
    powder on my feet and in my socks. I wear one pair of normal socks with a
    pair of soccer ones over them. Tie my shoes tight and when I was in the match
    I would not push my self too hard. When it came to closing people down I
    tried to take some pressure off my toes and let the guy pass me if I had to.

After two weeks (3 games) of doing that, my feet have been fine and the
    boots where broken into. They still get some torn skin or small bubble blisters
    but nothing too serious. I still use talcom powder on my feet before games.

walking around bare foot in the garden is supposed to toughen your feet up, I find its just a case of waiting till the boots break in and just playing through the pain

I can't swim :( the emersion is on for a nice bath though!

Edit: just saw the other replies. I don't think bursting them is supposed to be good, but there's nothing to burst, just torn skin there at the mo. Yeah, walking barefoot around the place will condition your feet. Back in the day when the grandparents would walk to school in their bare feet, you'd never hear them complaining of sore feet. We're a generation of wimps.

• Advertisement

Most boots are made in the Nike style of suffocating your feet and forcing them into an od shape, i cant use those curvy boots or anything with too much hard leather so i got for soft leather Adidias Avenger (the ultimate boot but impossible to get these days) They ahve a flat sole and pretty much no protection from kicks or stamps. But i am quite hard so feel no pain :D

kdjac

Not actually swimming just getting in deep water and splashing about/trying to float, along with soccer its the perfect exercise.

Lol have fun getting muscle spasms as you try get out of the bath :D

kdjac

cormie.

if they don't heal in a week i'll get you a special dressing for them. but in the meantime i'd sterilise a needle, (boiling water for a minute or two), clean them with cooled boiled water and put a big blob of sudcream on em. then keep em covered with a nice padded plaster type thing, maybe a bit of overkill for some, but football induced blisters can be pretty sore.
    soaking your feet in cold-ish water can help too if your feet are very sore. thats about all ya can do.

for anyone with sore muscles etc, i don't recommend using deep heat or anything like that. hot water bottles are good alright tho. again cold compresses are the best really for pain though.

nurse_baz wrote:

for anyone with sore muscles etc, i don't recommend using deep heat or anything like that. hot water bottles are good alright tho. again cold compresses are the best really for pain though.

Swimming heals all, go for an early morning swim day after agame and you be grand.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

lads for blister prevention I find that if you put a load of handcream on your feet before you play (bout 35/40 mins) and let it dry in b4 putting on football socks your chances of getting blisters go WAY down! I suffered terribly before with them and now get little or none

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Baz, I got bitten by a midge on Thursday, and now its after swelling up, any idea's what I can apply?

Thanks for the advice, I'll do what I can. Hope I'll be ok for that friendly/next training anyway! Don't wanna keep messing my feet up or I'll be ****ed for the start of the league.

Roddy23 wrote:
    Baz, I got bitten by a midge on Thursday, and now its after swelling up, any idea's what I can apply?

get some Eurax from your chemist good for that tyoe of thing

Baz, I was with a dodgy bird last night and I'm feeling a bit itchy downstairs, any suggestions?

*This is better than Personal Issues in fairness

Draupnir wrote:
    Baz, I was with a dodgy bird last night and I'm feeling a bit itchy downstairs, any suggestions?

*This is better than Personal Issues in fairness

Some petrol a razor and a toothpick, shave a line accross tru the pubies pour petrol over the hairs each side of the line, set fire to to it and then stab the little bastards with the toothpick as they run accross the line.

Can draw a picture if you want.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sounds like you have experience.

seansouth wrote:
    Sounds like you have experience.

yore ma!!!!

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭zappb

Thanks for those links - very interesting.

Advertisement