Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upload and Download

• 23-08-2006 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Ok. My folks are considering getting a broadband package.

What I'm trying to find out is it worth their while. I'm just fishing for opinions.

They would use the internet very infrequently (5 - 10 hours per week max) and this would only be to check emails, book flights, online shopping, etc.

There wouldn't be a situation where they would be downloading music, videos, etc.

Upload and Download? I'm getting download, but I'm not sure about what the upload is all about.

At the moment they are on a 56kbps Dial-up and I'm wondering if a package that provides 1Mbps Download and 128kbps Upload would make a noticable difference to their web usage. Would Yahoomail appear any faster. It's as slow as a snail at the moment, but cheap as chips.

For general web usage is changing worth it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

boradband will make general surfing of the web faster.

These days lots of sites have ads etc, which slow down access. Broadband will help in this.

They will also be able to watch the odd clip, which may be useful to them.
    Upload and Download? I'm getting download, but I'm not sure about what the upload is all about.

When you get information from another computer to yours you are downloading form the other computer. Upload is when you transfer information from your computer to another one.

When surfing the web your computer must request information for it then to be downloaded. So a typical view of a site involves both. Upload to request info which is the webpage, and download to actually get the page info to your computer.

I hope that explains it:)

So for most people they use much less upload bandwidth than download.

Advertisement