Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth or Galway?

Options
  • 23-08-2006 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Well to cut a long story short, i've been offered arts in both nui maynooth and galway... so... persuade me to come to maynooth! i've to make my choice tonight! lol fun, fun....

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Come tp Maynooth.

There will me much rejoicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Come to Maynooth... come, drink at Juciee Lucie! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

If you have to ask, then go to Galway. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

I'll be at Maynooth do I need to say more to convince you to come to Maynooth!

I was in a similar place as you I had to pick between Maynooth and Edinburgh I ended up picking Maynooth becasue its a better College and it offered me a placement in my course!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Maynooth has a large statue of the pope that at first glance looks like a giant stone turtle

• Advertisement

Galway has decent women and Buckfast and a very active social life.Maynooth does not have a club.

How did you get offered two cao places assuming they were both level eight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Well I went to Galway and can hartily reccomend it. I did Engineering however, so I cannot comment on the Arts course specifically.

All I know of Maynooth is that its miles from anywhere :)

Galway is a good city.

What does Maynooth have over Galway?, both in terms of the College and the town. I can't think of anything. But maybe someone else here can.

eamoss wrote:
    I'll be at Maynooth do I need to say more to convince you to come to Maynooth!

I was in a similar place as you I had to pick between Maynooth and Edinburgh I ended up picking Maynooth becasue its a better College and it offered me a placement in my course!

If that is Edinburgh University?

If so it is one of the best colleges in the Uk. Coming 11th in a recent league of Universities in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Nope its Heriot-Watt University Edinburgh

fair enough.

They are 48th on the particular list

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭curtains

Galway has decent women and Buckfast and a very active social life.Maynooth does not have a club.

How did you get offered two cao places assuming they were both level eight?

I got 245 more points than I needed for arts, apparently at that stage your second choice college is entitled to offer you a course.

...and I picked Maynooth, because;

1. I can do media arts, which actually would leave me in a better position to do the postgrad MA in Journalism in Galway than if I did normal orts in Galway (they only take 16 people - eek), so I'll be going there anyway.
    2. A lot of people I whose opinion I value very much advised me to go there.
    3. I get a HEAR grant and a scholarship (which I would get in Galway also, I know) and a place reserved in the lovely River appartments.

But it was a tough decision, I know both are really nice.

Cheers everyone!

curtains wrote:
    1. I can do media arts, which actually would leave me in a better position to do the postgrad MA in Journalism in Galway than if I did normal orts in Galway (they only take 16 people - eek), so I'll be going there anyway.

So you have a good reason to go to Maynooth over Galway. And all you really wanted to know is if Maynooth was good in other respects?

Those are good reasons to choose Maynooth. So, if i were you thats where i would go. Unless someone else can come up with a good counter point where Galway would suit you better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Vangelis

I'd say that from what I know about Maynooth, it has a much better academic reputation. Partying and going to clubs you can do all your life. Finding good teachers and good subjects is something you can't do anywhere. I talked to someone who studied archeology in Galway and she said it's worth nothing. Most students drop it after 1st year. Maynooth is constantly improving, looks like they have a better economy and is more diverse, I think. An exciting place to be as a student, I'm sure.

If you want that MA in journalism and going to Maynooth first is a better option, then it sounds like you should do just that. ;-)

BEST OF LUCK ! ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

curtains wrote:
    I got 245 more points than I needed for arts, apparently at that stage your second choice college is entitled to offer you a course.

...and I picked Maynooth, because;

3. I get a HEAR grant and a scholarship (which I would get in Galway also, I know) and a place reserved in the lovely River appartments.

But it was a tough decision, I know both are really nice.

Cheers everyone!

if you got 590points(245 more points than you needed for arts)and wanted to do Journalism why did you not do an undergraduate degree in journalism such as in dcu which is also under the HEAR scheme.As far as which college is better(nuim or nuig) both colleges have there own pro's and Con's.but under your conditions between arts in galway or media in maynooth,maynooth wins out,media is more related to journalism than arts and you will always have the opportunity to do a postgrad in galway,also the HEAR grant is only available in maynooth,dcu...etc and not galway hence why you received two offers in the cao one 4 galway and one 4 maynooth(access offer) which means you had galway ahead of maynooth in the cao i know this because i was in the exact same position as you last year and i can't say i regreted my decision(maynooth)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Vangelis

You'll learn a LOT of things in media at Maynooth too! Look at the academic calendar! Radio journalism, media law, television w/camera, studio + other technical things, cinema, more journalism and many workshops that sound awesome! (Warning:You will probably see me there.)

Advertisement