Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunches for work

• 23-08-2006 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just out of college and started a job. Thinking of starting to bring in my own lunch to work as opposed spending up to 5 euro a day on a sandwich in Spar. While i intend on bringing my own sandwiches to work i don't really want to have sandwiches every day. Any ideas on what i could make. We have a microwave at work and a fridge for food. I made some pasta for myself last week but when i went to reheat it in microwave it was very dry. Any ideas on something quick to cook and simple?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I find Chilli and rice very good to reheat, rice properly cooked heats almost perfectly in a microwave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Archeron

I've been enjoying salads the past few days, and they're surprisingly filling. I use one of those see thorugh plastic containers that you get with your chinese meals, and just fill it with sliced peppers, lettuce, pickled onions,tomatoes, a bit of cheese, some sliced meat, whatever healthy stuff you like. I didnt think something like that would fill me, but it does.

Also, a can of soup that you can reheat in the micro goes down nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Here are a couple of things I do for lunches - to get a break from the old sandwiches every day.....

The microwavable rice comes out very well and is very handy. It goes well with your curry, sweet and sour etc. When I cook any of those, I always do a couple extra and freeze them. Then all you need is your frozen dinner and packet of rice for a tasty filling lunch.

Also another thing I do - make up a big pot of homemade soup and freeze it. (Those plastic chinese containers are invaluable!!) Then all you need with your soup is some bread. I always thought making soup was really complicated until I actually did it & then I realised how easy it is. Again you have a warm filling and healthy lunch.

Also - a tip if you are keeping pasta over to reheat it - store it in a container covered with cold water. This prevents it sticking together and that's probably why I've never noticed it drying out either. Just drain the water off before putting it in the microwave to reheat. This tip originally came from a chef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

chuckles30 wrote:
    Also - a tip if you are keeping pasta over to reheat it - store it in a container covered with cold water. This prevents it sticking together and that's probably why I've never noticed it drying out either. Just drain the water off before putting it in the microwave to reheat. This tip originally came from a chef.
    Yes, water is the first thing heated in microwaves. Even just rinse it before putting it in. If you have a cup of water and a cup of ice cubes in a microwave the water will heat well before the ice even starts to melt, ice doesnt absorb microwaves. If you ever tried defrosting a burger you may notice one spot is cooked and grey before the rest is cooked. This is since a small bit defrosts first (maybe where you handled it), then all the microwaves are absorbed by that tiny drop of water and boil it intensely. So you should rinse any frozen food to cover them in an even layer of water first.

I also do like chuckles and cook big pots of stuff and save it, I put it in jam jars while hot and cool them in water and then stick it in the fridge, lasts a good few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

thanks rubadub for the tip about defrosting in the microwave....I normally refuse to defrost most things in the microwave because of the fact that part of it normally looks half cooked while the rest is frozen solid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Dapos wrote:
    Hey,

Just out of college and started a job. Thinking of starting to bring in my own lunch to work as opposed spending up to 5 euro a day on a sandwich in Spar. While i intend on bringing my own sandwiches to work i don't really want to have sandwiches every day. Any ideas on what i could make. We have a microwave at work and a fridge for food. I made some pasta for myself last week but when i went to reheat it in microwave it was very dry. Any ideas on something quick to cook and simple?

Do some batch cooking - cook yourself a beef stew, beef bourgninon or such like - do some rice - when cold put a ladel of rice in a plastic freezer bag and a ladel of your finest stew and freeze it. Take out one bag in the morning stick it in another bag and seal it up - reheat in the MW at work - you will be the envoy of them all. If you can, take a glass of red wine to work with you in a ribena bottle and enjoy your meal. Take fifteen minutes kip after eating and you will feel fine for the afternoon. I promise you, you will work better, and feel much better than if you had a sandwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

westtip wrote:
    If you can, take a glass of red wine to work with you in a ribena bottle and enjoy your meal.

If you make borscht for your lunch at work - fill a 7UP bottle with vodka & then snooze in the toilets for the afternoon. *

* Any complaints from your boss - just tell them that you've been studying Boris Yeltsin's management style. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

I often have leftovers for lunch. I really like pasta and I never find it dry - then again, it's usually pasta in a tomato based sauce, or just mixed with a tin of ratatouille (am living on tins of that at the moment, lazy cook's delight! :D )

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

koka noodles,

Frozen ready made dinners,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Split a pitta pocket after heating it, fill it with lettuce, cucumber, tomato, sweetcorn, red onion (or whatever takes your fancy) and reheat a grilled chicken burger and bung it in as well. It's a healthier alternative to a chicken burger, filling and delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Rice salad works a treat - brown rice with carrots, sweetcorn, and peppers thrown in nearly at the end of cooking, then rinsed in cold water and mixed with tuna, grated onion, pickles, and lots of vinaigrette. Add a pack of salted peanuts before you eat it and it's lovely.

Or ratatouille is great cold, or other left-overs such as pilaf or lasagne.

How about a nice Greek salad and a bread roll?

Advertisement