Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 Hornet Ammo

Options
  • 23-08-2006 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

hi, i went to my local gun shop a couple of weeks ago and he recommended hornady 35 gr vmax for fox shooting. i use an anschutz and find is deadly acrid with my gun, i got 3 foxes so far this week and they where all 1 shot kills, just wornding whats the fps on these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

pm. wrote:
    just wornding whats the fps on these?

22 HORNET 35 GR V-MAX

Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)

Muzzle 3100/747
    100 yd 2271/401
    200 yd 1590/197
    300 yd 1126/997
    400 yd 923/66
    500 yd 806/50

Just interested how much you are Paying for a box?

(€25.70 up my way):o

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Terrier wrote:
    €25.70 up my way

Quite a contrast with this price:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=495846
    Our friends in the US have it pretty good when it comes to shooting related costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Terrier wrote:
    22 HORNET 35 GR V-MAX

Just interested how much you are Paying for a box?

(€25.70 up my way):o

i paid 25 a box, you would want to be sure to hit what your aiming for at the price. $14.99 in the usa wow

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

.223, 12 euro for a box of 20 Federal American eagle 50 grain Hallow point.
    Top fox cure.;)

Keelan.

Keelan wrote:
    Top fox cure.;)

Keelan.

Again, from Midway USA:

Federal American Eagle Ammunition 223 Remington 50 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 20
    Product #: 218974
    Our Price: $7.59

Or, even cheaper:

Federal American Eagle Ammunition 223 Remington 55 Grain Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail Box of 20
    Product #: 634930
    Our Price: $5.69

Even cheaper again:

Wolf Ammunition 223 Remington 55 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Steel Case Box of 20
    Product #: 177310
    Our Price: $3.59

• Advertisement

Yes, but we dont live in the US.
    I would not like to import the stuff over here ither.

Keelan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Keelan wrote:
    Top fox cure.;)

Keelan.

I pay 12 euro for a box of 55 grain hollow point remington (box of 20) down in limerick

Keelan wrote:
    Yes, but we dont live in the US.
    I would not like to import the stuff over here ither.

Keelan.

I'm well aware that we don't live in the US. :rolleyes:
    I am not suggesting importing either.
    I am merely using Midway as an example, to show how poorly off we Irish shooters are, when it comes to cost and choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Keelan wrote:
    Top fox cure.;)

Keelan.

well they seem to get a better rating than the hornady, i must give them a shot but imo i cant imagine they will be much better, but ill try them. whats the fps on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I am afraid that you are comparing apples with potatoes there pm.
    The .223 is a completely different round to the .22 Hornet.
    I think people were pointing out that .223 is much cheaper to shoot than .22 hornet.

• Advertisement

the .223 is a lovely vermin round

really love my .223, accurate, nice to shoot (no serious recoil, nice smooth bolt, heavy barrel with bipod and she's rock steady), cheap and decent vaiety of ammo, plenty of power to take down a fox at distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

vegata,
    Would it be ok if I asked you what type of .223 you have and how are you finding it acuracy wise ?Also what kind of acuarcy would you get out of it using surplus ball ammo ,if you have tried it,?

Thanks
    Remmy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I know plenty of shooters in other countries that use .223 rem for deer.
    It is plenty powerful enough for deer provided you are sensible.

I am using a tikka t3 varmint. I use 55 gr remington ammo (seem to suit the rate of twist). Hollow points and FMJ. Depending on the application.

2 weeks ago: accuracy on a blustery day at 100 yards prone with a bi-pod and 3 FMj rounds was 1" or 1.5"

To be more specific I was shooting at white paper targets with a 1" square black target on them.

CJhaughey wrote:
    I know plenty of shooters in other countries that use .223 rem for deer.
    It is plenty powerful enough for deer provided you are sensible.

Yeah i know what you mean. I wouldn't do it myself here, the only reason being that its illegal and the last thing i want to read in the paper is how some cruel hunter was torturing deer with a .223 :rolleyes:

You know how the anti crowd will twist anything around to make us look worse

Vegeta wrote:
    Yeah i know what you mean. I wouldn't do it myself here, the only reason being that its illegal and the last thing i want to read in the paper is how some cruel hunter was torturing deer with a .223 :rolleyes:

You know how the anti crowd will twist anything around to make us look worse

Using a .223 on deer is not cruel at all. Know your rifle, range estimation, ect and put it in the right place, you wont go rong, as with all calibers.

I use a .223 licenced on deer and have no problems what so ever, they are well cabable of the job sir.

Keelan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Keelan wrote:
    Using a .223 on deer is not cruel at all. Know your rifle, range estimation, ect and put it in the right place, you wont go rong, as with all calibers.

I use a .223 licenced on deer and have no problems what so ever, they are well cabable of the job sir.

Keelan.
    Still illegal here though.

Keelan wrote:

Keelan.

Oh i agree with you completely it is indeed a safe round to use but as it is illegal (as far as I am aware) the antis would just jump all over it, if they were to hear of it.

My earlier post was obviously poorly written. I am of the same opinion as yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Its only illegal if your hunting them for sport if they're damaging your property your allowed shoot them with whatever you want as they're classed as vermin friend of mine recently took 5 with a .22wmr one shot kills as they were wrecking his crops and trees. Your not allowed bring them back with you though to eat as they're considered game then. Stupid laws.

As for .223 for deer its legal in scotland once the bullet chronos over 3000fps??

Its only illegal if your hunting them for sport if they're damaging your property your allowed shoot them with whatever you want as they're classed as vermin
    This is the first I've heard of such a thing, can you point out which legislation/regulations cover this?

• Advertisement

I havent read through the firearms acts and tbh dont intend on doing it but im sure someone else knows their way around it.

I'm pretty sure ive heard this before i mean you obviously have a right to protect your own property this debate has been up before and asfaik shotguns can be used in this case.

This is going offtopic so maybe keep it back to .22hornet stuff or split it

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I havent read through the firearms acts and tbh dont intend on doing it but im sure someone else knows their way around it.
    It's not in the firearms acts, it'd be in the wildlife acts. (And no, I've never heard of that rule before, I don't think that's the way it is).
    I'm pretty sure ive heard this before i mean you obviously have a right to protect your own property this debate has been up before and asfaik shotguns can be used in this case.
    The "protect your own property" bit refers to protecting it from other people. And has been in the news a lot recently. And given that every thread on it on boards has gone straight to heck, and has led to the entire topic being banned on several forums on this site, let's not go there, shall we?
    This is going offtopic so maybe keep it back to .22hornet stuff or split it
    Agreed. Back to .22 hornet stuff please everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

There is a provision to the effect that farmers can control nuisance deer with pretty much any firearm (including shotguns) in England & Wales, I've not heard of it here though.

Did i forget to mention my friend lives in england and or whales ;)

Did i forget to mention my friend lives in england and or whales ;)
    It does make more than a bit of difference...

It'd be a bit like me coming in here and proclaiming that I know a guy who carries an unlicensed .357 snub-nosed revolver for personal protection and hunts deer with a crossbow in his spare time.

...and neglecting to mention that he lives in Vermont.

Vegeta wrote:
    Oh i agree with you completely it is indeed a safe round to use but as it is illegal (as far as I am aware) the antis would just jump all over it, if they were to hear of it.

My earlier post was obviously poorly written. I am of the same opinion as yourself

Fair enough.
    But, i applied and got a deer permit with my .223 last year and have been using it since the begining of the season.

As far as them sad antis are concerned, they would not know one end of a caliber to the next, they just want all forms of hunting, shooting gone.

Back to the Hornet, MAGIC caliber, had one for years, might get one again, ideal for lamping, without cousing too much disturbance.

Keelan.

Keelan wrote:
    Fair enough.
    But, i applied and got a deer permit with my .223 last year and have been using it since the begining of the season.

Really I am amazed at that. Thought 22-250 was min calibre in this country

fair play to you

I explained the relation between the .22-250 and .223 on 2 sides of A4 paper, this, seemed to do the trick and a good chat with the wildlife ranger.

I also find, the Sako 55 grain soft point ammo the best in my .223 for Fallow and reds.

Keelan.

One more thing, if anyone is sitting in their computer chair, most evenings i would imagine and starts having a go at me for shooting deer with a .223, then all can say to ye is, go and shoot 300 + deer a year with the said caliber, then come back to me, OK?

Keelan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement