Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane New Manager of Sunderland

• 23-08-2006 9:19pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just heard it on the news. Cant find a link yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

This a joke?!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus Keane is working for Quinn who would have thought this.

Can only see this ending in tears !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

You can't make that kind of thing up!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

my dad just rang me from Ireland saying its on Sky Sports the people covering the matches Jamie redknapp etc are discussing the breaking news.

Well done Quinn talk about World Class if anyone can motivate them its Keane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Lets open a third thread on the Manager of Sunderland.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Didnt see that comming

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

gandalf wrote:
    Jaysus Keane is working for Quinn who would have thought this.

Can only see this ending in tears !!!!!

I heard storeis that the offered it to Keane as part of the take over plans. Its madness. I see Quinn leaving before Keane does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Our Roy doesn't half like jumping in at the deep end, does he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Gobsmacked!! Just heard it on 9 o'clock news. It's going to be very interesting watching this relationship play out, Keane and Quinn.
    Hope it goes well for Sunderland.

• Advertisement

he may not because his reason for retirement was injuries but he could register himself as a player just incase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

iFight wrote:
    Didnt see that comming

Me and all, credit to the gaffer at the end of the day like, I am the gaffer, haw haw haw. Good luck to him though, who knows what could happen. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

That is, in no way Quinn's decision!... I reckon the rest of the Irish Boys on the board had a hand in that.... Good luck Roy! (if it materialises)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

they lost to Bury 2-0 in the [strike]League[/strike] [strike]Milk[/strike] [strike]Littlewoods[/strike] [strike]Rumbelows[/strike] [strike]Coca-Cola[/strike] [strike]Worthington[/strike] Carling Cup last night.

Bury are 92nd of 92 clubs in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

cashback wrote:
    Gobsmacked!! Just heard it on 9 o'clock news. It's going to be very interesting watching this relationship play out, Keane and Quinn.
    Hope it goes well for Sunderland.
    but is it a done deal?
    i`ve just come in from work and cant believe what i am reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

WTF like! Next Ill find out that mick McCarthy wants to be his assistant ... this is madness isnt it ? it couldnt work ...could it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

maybe it's a mistake and they've hired Roy's younger brother, Robbie?

Roy Keane's agent Micheal Kennedy = Niall Quinn's agent Micheal Kennedy

----
    Roy Keane is reportedly set to be named the new manager of Sunderland.

The former Manchester United ace is set to link up with former Republic of Ireland team-mate Niall Quinn at The Stadium of Light.

Quinn revealed on Tuesday that a new manager was lined up to replace him as boss, so that he could concentrate on his role as chairman.

Keane retired from football earlier this summer after a short spell at Celtic.

The 34-year-old was forced to hang up his boots on medical advice, but he always expressed his desire to go into management at some time.

Keane gained his coaching badges this summer and he is now set to take his first steps in management at Sunderland.

Quinn will be hoping the Manchester United legend can help transform Sunderland's fortunes after a disastrous start to the season.

Keane is expected to take charge for the first time in next Monday's home clash with West Bromwich Albion.
    ----

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I take he wont be dealing too much with Quinn so.... can you imagine the board meetings..... Not a bad first mgt job tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

But I hate Sunderland, and I love Keane. This is very confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its so mad it might just work! What about World Class though?

Mike.

Brian Kidd is the number 2

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Just saw this on sky news.... :eek:

I said JOKINGLY I was going to put a bet on this in the bookies and I was actually going to do it :mad: wonder what odds I would have gotten?

I was going to put a tenner on, so I've probably just lost out on a house in D4 and a new car :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

HA! so the word is out. Keano's gonna have a go at Sunderland. Can't wait for Gift Grub!!:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

mike65 wrote:
    Brian Kidd is the number 2

Mike.

I think that will work well.

I can understand why Kidd left United but I dont think he had it in him to be a good manager. But he makes a great coach.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

:eek: is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

PHB wrote:

Exactly what I'm thinking, i want him to succeed but dont like Sunderland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

This is the funniest thing Ive heard all year. Quinn & Keane? I mean how the **** is that going to work, how the **** did it even come about for starters.
    And whats with Sunderland & all the irish lads. Well I suppose the good thing for Keane is he cant possibly make them any worse than they already are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I predicted it (jokingly) in the 1st Niall Quinn thread yesterday. Well I said Kerr or Keane. My psychic abilities are getting scarier :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Apparently Sunderland's website says they are in negotations with a 'high profile individual' and according to sky this is none other than Keano.

What a baptism of fire for keano! Can't believe it, but best of luck to him if its true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Sunderland vs Wolves.....can't wait! :eek:

:D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Fcuk yeah!!! Suddenly Championship League Football becomes so appealing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

25th of November at Molineaux! Mark it in your calender.

In the words of a TV Beer Commercial "this is going to be great!"

Expect Keano to come out of retirement for that match :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Ill believe it when I see it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PHB wrote:

I'm in a similar boat, only hate them since McCarthy took over, so hatred subsiding.

Long live King Roy.

Someone on the art forum needs to do a sign in the Carlsberg font "Keane, Probably the best manager in the world" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

PHB wrote:

i hate them both, but thats ok.

they have good facilities there, and quinn said there would be money to spend.

you wont find any better teams in the championship, theres a good base there for a manager, especially a manager taking his first job.

keane's lucky to have played under 2 of the best managers theres been, it'll be interesting to see if he can express himself as a manager

el rabitos wrote:
    You wont find any better teams in the championship,

The 23 teams above them might disagree. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Personally I would have liked him to gain a bit of experience in an assistant managers position before taking on a big role like this. Still,can't wait till the after game interviews - should be great. Best of british luck to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

bbability wrote:
    Can't wait for Gift Grub!!:D
    "All credit to mad decisions"
    I predicted it (jokingly) in the 1st Niall Quinn thread yesterday. Well I said Kerr or Keane. My psychic abilities are getting scarier
    Yeah, I remember reading that a having a liitle chuckle at the absurdity of it. Mad!!
    Sunderland vs Wolves.....can't wait!
    LOL. The Manu v Sunderland / Keane v McCarthy head to head that I was looking forward to never came about but this'll be even better. At least this time they'll have to shake hands!!!! That's of course if it ever happens.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

At last a true "Special One"

Stekelly wrote:
    The 23 teams above them might disagree. :)

u know what i mean like, theres a good stadium there, goods support, he'll have some cash to spend...he wont get any better than that in the championship

ntlbell wrote:
    At last a true "Special One"

how so?

el rabitos wrote:
    u know what i mean like, theres a good stadium there, goods support, he'll have some cash to spend...he wont get any better than that in the championship

I know, I was just having a mess. Sunderland for promotion and the FA cup.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!eleven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

el rabitos wrote:
    how so?

Cos he's great.

Stekelly wrote:
    Cos he's great.

at what? he wont be able to help them on the pitch. its a new ball game now for keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I offered my cousin 100/1 last night it would be Roy Keane that was Quinns "world class" manager....thank fúck he didn't tale it :D:D !

wish him the best of luck - a legend of the game

Personally I would have liked him to gain a bit of experience in an assistant managers position before taking on a big role like this. Still,can't wait till the after game interviews - should be great. Best of british luck to him!

he would be a nightmare assistant he's a born leader and his presence would undermine almost any boss.

but as the Manager he will be the Law and the young Irish players will play their hearts out for their footballing idol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

young Irish players will play their hearts out for their footballing idol
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Word on the street is Keane thinks he has a few games left in him for another season or two and so he'll be semi player/manager. This could work his a born leader - could be a Cloughie minus the whiskey. I like it With B Kidd dictating things from the touchline while Keane plays. Perfect plan

• Advertisement
Advertisement