Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane New Manager of Sunderland

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

empirix wrote:
    I like it With B Kidd dictating things from the touchline while Keane plays. Perfect plan

Don't you mean Keane dictating things to Kidd from the pitch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

I mean both, a man can see the bigger picture than a player involved in the thick of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Just cos the guy was a good player doesnt automatically mean he will be a good manager . Having leadership skills on the pitch does not a good manager make alá Bobby Moore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

Has Eamonn Dunphy commented on this yet? Would love to hear what he has to say now, especially after his rant on RTE about keane & quinn a while back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Dunphy might be on Setanta Sport's The Hub tonight, they usually have him on the phone discussing any major soccer news. Think its normally on at 7.30pm

Cheers

Snake ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Expect some sideline action!

Keane and Quinn must have discussed this at length and feel confident at their ability to pull it off. The question is whether Roy will be a proponent of the Hairdryer school of management.

Good luck Roy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

Dunphy might be on Setanta Sport's The Hub tonight, they usually have him on the phone discussing any major soccer news. Think its normally on at 7.30pm

Nice One, forgot about that! Reminder has gone in the phone! Might have a listen in to George Hook on Newstalk at about 18:30 for the sport he might be on that aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Revalco

LOL @ Mick Mc Carthy on Sky news, probaly the worst news hes got since sunderland when down.

It will be fun to see them on the same pitch again but as managers, handbags @ 10 paces :D

w00t 1000th post lol

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Anyone see on TV3 sports news when Quinn was asked about Roy Keane. He said he didn't want to discuss it, and didn't want anymore questions.

The reported asked, what did he think of Roy Keane, would he make a good manager? Quinn replyed, we wouldn't be speaking to him if we didn't think he would be a good manager.... Then he realised what he just said... classic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ya know, most of the players around United used to say that Keane often had a quiet encouraging word to them, especially players like Stewart and Fletcher, who used to say Keano would look after them.

I think he can do both styles of managment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He certainly doesn't seem like this insociable monster judging by this... :)

Simon Ferry:
    "Keane was my hero and to train alongside him was brilliant. He was unbelievable and expected so much from everyone all of the time.

"Myself, Michael McGlinchey and Aiden McGeady just asked him questions all the time. We used to go to the gym after training and we'd just sit and ask him things about everything that had happened to him. He was brilliant with us and all of his stories were great.

"You couldn't give the ball away - even in training - or he would go mental. He spoke about everything: the way he prepared, what time he went to bed, what you should eat - everything."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

He's been introduced to the Sunderland squad today according to 5Live.

Talking about training great line in Cascarino's autobiography where he relays a story about Keane and asking him for gossip from Old Trafford whilst on Ireland duty.

Keane reckons his big problem was the fact that he gave out to so many people during training that went he went in the next day he couldn't remember who'd he fallen out with - that'll make team selection easy so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Is the supposed hatered he had for Quinn just based on the fact Fergie went ape when he Quinn tried to shake Keane's hand after he was sent off?

Also, the wolves match isnt going to be that big a deal, their not the first set of managers of who hate each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭sideFX

p_larkin99 wrote:
    Exactly what I'm thinking, i want him to succeed but dont like Sunderland.
    Ditto, same here but i am tepmpted to buy a Sunderland jersy now i love Keane that much :D

I reckon his long term plans is the Irish job. Few years at Sunderland, get the experience and take over from Staunton when he messes it up.

I mean this is more than football to Keane i think. He's a cute aul fox. Wonder how McCarthy feels? Next in Keane's crosshairs is Stanunton, MCarthy's right hand man in Saipan. I'd say Staunton is worried ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

sideFX wrote:
    Ditto, same here but i am tepmpted to buy a Sunderland jersy now i love Keane that much :D

I reckon his long term plans is the Irish job. Few years at Sunderland, get the experience and take over from Staunton when he messes it up.

I mean this is more than football to Keane i think. He's a cute aul fox. Wonder how McCarthy feels? Next in Keane's crosshairs is Stanunton, MCarthy's right hand man in Saipan. I'd say Staunton is worried ... ;)

who do u think roy keane is? the bleedin terminator?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I wish Roy all the best but it will be a job and a half. So many Irish players there that wouldnt make the Irish team (and that is saying somethin). Hope he does well, and I hope that either him or Mark Hughes get the United job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

sideFX wrote:

Lol would managing Man Utd not be his aim?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Good luck Roy , maybe he can squeeze Sunderland into playoffs, and emulate what Robbo did at Boro .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

according to the papers today Mark luiliano formerly of Juventus is supposed to be a player lined up for a move to Sunderland. He played against Keane in a classic CL tie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I have to say that I a bit surprised by this move, but it shows that perhaps Roy and Quinner have moved on a lot more than pundits and media alike think. Whilst from the outside we perhaps would like to see them at it hammer and tongs for the remainder of their days, the reality is that Roy (and others) have moved on.

In terms of the management role, it is his first but all he needs to do to be successful is to keep Sunderland up. Not an easy task, but given the promise that they will spend the most of any club in that division, there is a chance. The initial 'wow' factor should transmit to the players as well and results should come.

How will it end, who knows, but I wouldnt be surprised if there is another twist in the tale of 'Roy'.

As for Nialler and his and the consortium's investment in Sunderland (they bought it for all of 10m), it remains to be seen what happens. Money wise, they look languished in the 2nd flight for another season at best, and who knows, it could be a long stay. They need an FA Cup run of sorts, but even that money-wise is of little benefit (as it once was).

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He needs a new striker for starters. Chris Brown missed an absolute sitter ealier. And missed another very good chance a few minutes ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

2-0 to the Mackems. Y'see Keano is working his magic already. So scared of a bollocking were the squad they put on thier best show today! :p

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Hopefully Stephen Elliott will start banging them in. He needs to at that level if he expects to challenge Keane and Doyle up front for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Quinn and Keane sat on different rows in the game today. didnt say a word to each other. seems purely a business deal.
    oh and apparently the reason they hate each other is coz quinner sided with McCarthy is Saipan. dont think it was to do wit the Utd v Sunderland sideline incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

The_B_Man wrote:
    dont think it was to do wit the Utd v Sunderland sideline incident.

that put a lump of coal on the buring fire if ya know what I mean.

Keano for United within the next 4 years!!

oh by the way, are you the real B_Man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The_B_Man wrote:
    oh and apparently the reason they hate each other is coz quinner sided with McCarthy is Saipan
    Ya don't say??

You're about 4 years late with that bit of news...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Does anyone know what time Keane's press conference is scheduled for today?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

kinaldo wrote:
    Does anyone know what time Keane's press conference is scheduled for today?

Looking for this info myself....I presume its going to be on SPN.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Dub13 wrote:
    Looking for this info myself....I presume its going to be on SPN.

Just heard on SSN it's set for 1pm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Some interesting concillatory remarks from Roy in this ...

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=412917&CPID=8&clid=1&lid=3&title=Keane:+I+crossed+the+line

Roy hinting that he was wrong for his actions at both the World Cup Saipan incident and also for his departure at Man Utd. The clearest words yet from the man himself that what he did was clearly wrong.

For those that think (or thought) that Roy could do no wrong, I wonder what you think now ??

+++

Roy Keane accepts he overstepped the mark towards the end of his Manchester United career.

The Irishman's trophy-laden 12 years with The Red Devils were brought to an abrupt halt last autumn after he was critical of his former team-mates.

He was let go by United and finished his playing career with a spell at boyhood heroes Celtic, but returned to football on Tuesday by being unveiled as Sunderland's new manager.

Reflecting on his departure from Old Trafford, the 35-year-old concedes his forthright views cost him his United career.

"No doubt over the years I have crossed that white line and it has probable cost me lots," Keane told a press conference on Sky Sports News.

"The World Cup in 2002, my United career.

"But it has also been a big plus to me. I do care about the game, who I am playing for and playing with.

"Over the forthcoming days, weeks, months and, hopefully, years at Sunderland I will look to get the balance right.

"Sometimes it comes with experience as you get older and more wise.

"I've made mistakes, but I'm just glad I've got this opportunity and hopefully I'll make the most of it.

"I wouldn't be sitting here if I thought I couldn't do it."

Keane has already been in touch with his former United manager Sir Alex Ferguson and admits he could be on the phone for new players.

He added: "I spoke to him briefly over the last few days, but you've got to be your own man.

"I always enjoyed the way he looked after players, in terms of backing them and defending them.

"Again, maybe I did cross that line towards the end and I was rightly punished for it you could say. Again you move on.

"I was very, very fortunate to play under him and I'm sure I can pick up the phone any time and he'll lend me a few players if I need any!"

Keane has also had his differences with Niall Quinn in the past, but the ex-United captain feels any problems have now been laid to rest.

He continued: "I think it will be fine. A lot of people have been making a big issue of what happened in the past.

"When I met up with Niall three or four months ago, we sorted it out there and then, despite what was going to happen if I took the job or not, which was important for me.

"People have this impression of me out there, but I think it's important to move on.

"I have had differences with thousands of people, but I'm humble enough to apologise if I've done something wrong.

"Working with Niall I really don't see a problem."

+++

Redspider

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Expect Miller to arive on loan (atleast) I've been told that sunderland will loan a few premiership players and keane has a list of 10 british based (including scotland) and 10 european based players he wants quinn to try and sign players from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Roy wants to sign his oul mate Dwight Yorkie allegedly! He'll be texting Dinny Irwin and Gary Pally next. :D

Advertisement