Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting Permissions on Folders

• 23-08-2006 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, ive been working on my laptop for a while, using file permissions. adding different users for different types of access. I went on my pc tonight and when I right clicked and went to sharing the Permissions tab wasnt there. Any idea on how to enable this please.

Cheers,
    Tom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

You should disable "Use simple file sharing"... this option is in Tools/Folder Options/View from a windows explorer window.
    Should do it I fink.
    Not sure if XP Home allows you to turn it off... I use Pro, so not 100% sure about everything they've nerfed in Home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Indeed, they've nerfed it in Home. All you can do is to share or not to share :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

hey guys, thanks for the info. i found my xp pro cd but it wont let me upgrade to it and it wont boot up aswell, ive enabled the first boot disk priority to cd rom and when it comes to that stage it says boot from cd.... but then it just loads up windows....can anyone help me please....i need to get all this sorted today.

cheers

Why won't it let you upgrade?

With the CD inserted, it should prompt you "Press any key to boot from CD Rom". If it doesn't then go back into the BIOS and disable all boot devices except for the CD ROM. I've found some BIOSes are picky and the CD Drive only seems to spin up when there are no other boot devices available.

i did that n still nothing happens....when i try and install it from the desktop i get this error and then i reboot and try and boot off cd but it still by passes the boot from cd option, it doesnt say..press any key either

• Advertisement

I assume you have SP2 on the machine.

Ugh. I've always been wary of attempting to upgrade from Home to Pro. Your best bet is to save your stuff onto another drive, then wipe your install and do a clean install of XP Pro.

ya i have sp2, ive a 2nd drive, so jus put the files i want on that is it and then re install is wat ur sayin, but ive been tryin to do that. like ive tried disconnecting the 2nd hdd n then tried to install but wouldnt let me. tried booting from cd n that didnt work either. wat way were you suggesting me to do it.

seamus wrote:
    Indeed, they've nerfed it in Home. All you can do is to share or not to share :/
    :eek: God that's some serious shat-bot right there.
    That and the local/group policy editor.
    Is it just to lower support costs or what? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You forget who made this O$: Micro$oft!

:eek: God that's some serious shat-bot right there.
    That and the local/group policy editor.
    Is it just to lower support costs or what? :confused:
    Well I guess it's to force business users to make the choice of Pro because Home would be next to impossible to make conform to a corporate policy.

MS probably mention things like "Simplicity" and "Reduction of possible damage through misconfiguration"

• Advertisement

Mmmm, makes me wonder what kind of crippled versions of Vista there's going to be.
    I suppose it makes sense though, I hardly think they want home users pestering them with questions on how to configure their living-room active directory & exchange servers :D
    Or business users getting this kind of premium support by posing as home users.
    I still don't like it though, hiding away the innards of features that are actually there, like file & printer sharing.
    Who has access to XP Home shares if you can't specify? the 'everyone' group? I assume there's still some kind of user permission system in effect. :confused:

Who has access to XP Home shares if you can't specify? the 'everyone' group? I assume there's still some kind of user permission system in effect. :confused:
    This machine is XP Home.

To share a folder, you go onto the sharing tab, and tick a box marked "Share this folder on the network". It also allows you to specify what you want to call the folder.
    Then there's a second tickbox marked "Allow network users to change my files".
    And that's it :(

One would assume that the latter tickbox only enables "Write", and not "Full Control", but it *is* MS we're talking about.

That's a bit vague though... what constitutes 'network users'?
    It's like they've added an obfuscation layer ontop of this stuff for the sake of simplicity... when (IMO) a 5 minute animated introduction would bring most people up to speed on user permissions.
    But then I guess in an OS where you almost have to run as Administrator all the time, things like this are going to be a bit messy.
    I hear Vista is doing some good things, but I still fear the Microsoft Newbie Extraction Layer. :eek:

hey guys....fixed the problem. i jus un-installed service pack 2 n then it let me install xp pro....thanks anyways guys

Cheers,
    Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

For future reference an alternative is to create a new XP install CD with SP2 slipstreamed into it. This is not difficult to do (google xp sp2 slipstream) and removes the need to do a very lengthy update process after install.

Advertisement