Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

anyone done a degree to get into medicine??

• 23-08-2006 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

hi i was wondering if anyone did a degree and then was accepted into medicine??i currently didnt do a language other than english or irish so are thier much colleges that accept me without an other language?will i have to learn a language or not ??and like i said im wondering what science area i should aim for like would biology be better than chemistry or vice versa to qualify me to study medicine?i was looking at a degree in medical science in galway-mayo it .according to qualifax it only requires 390 points so do you guys think that maybe if i did that or some other degree successfully i would stand a pretty good chnce

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I always wanted to do medicine, UL do graduate entry 450 points and a primary degree, I think they take any degree. Nursing or a science degree would be a good place to start. Don't know which of the two (Psych or General) would give you a better shot, I've been told Psych.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭j2u

hi i was wondering if anyone did a degree and then was accepted into medicine??i currently didnt do a language other than english or irish so are thier much colleges that accept me without an other language?will i have to learn a language or not ??and like i said im wondering what science area i should aim for like would biology be better than chemistry or vice versa to qualify me to study medicine?i was looking at a degree in medical science in galway-mayo it .according to qualifax it only requires 390 points so do you guys think that maybe if i did that or some other degree successfully i would stand a pretty good chnce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

I'm sorry if this comes across as mean, but I think this is important advice for you if you are going to sit your Leaving.

You seriously need to work on your punctuation, grammar and spelling.
    Even for exams that do not test your English (like Geography), it is important to be able to write a paragraph correctly in order to communicate.

To answer your question - if you are interested in Medicine then that exam sounds good. Languages are not directly important if you want to study medicine. I am astonished at your question as to what science subjects to learn. Before you should even start thinking about specific courses, or points, you need to think about what subjects you would LIKE to do. Obviously, biology and chemistry would be beneficial to you. However, if you are really genuinely interested in Medicine, surely this is a no-brainer for you, and you would be interested in both subjects? Just as I would expect someone who wants to study engineering would be interested in maths and physics in school.

Are you really interested in studying medicine? Is it because you are interested? Or is it because it is a well-respected, well-paid job? I think you need to think of these questions more. I'm sure the other posters will offer additional, more useful advice.

Good luck. Cary.

Advertisement