Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The most ridiculous rule in football, logical explanation please. Thatcher

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I'm all for a physical contest but that was disgraceful. He'll definitely get a ban and probably a fine.
    The other pompey player came over and done nothing. If one of my teamates got smacked like that. i know what i'd have done to Thatcher. lets just say i'd worry about the consequences afterwards.

Totally agree. The only pompey player who confronted him was David James. No coincidence that he's an ex team mate, so would know what Thatchers all about. When I saw it first, without aid of a replay, I was fuming and can't understand how Mendes team mates just let it go. If I had been playing I wouldn't have been able to continue - being so full of rage. I would have grabbed Thatcher and dragged him down the tunnel to see what he's really made of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

p.pete wrote:
    Was there any comments from Psycho after the match?

Yea he went with the usual bullsh1t line of not seeing it and he expects to see all his players 110% commited. If citeh were anyways decent they would suspend the player themselves and fine the player.

What I don't get is tha a player can be suspended for celebrating a goal in the worng area of their own ground while this kind of thing could go unpunished. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Copy this address into a new window. A new window should pop up with all the managers post match comments of last nights games:

javascript:vartarget=window.open('http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid196212755','MidweekPremiershipReaction','scrollbars=no,resizable=no,status=no,width=917,height=606');

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Xavi6 wrote:
    You'd swear Pearce was the first manager to say he didnt see something and defend one of his players.

Hah calm down there bob no one is suggesting he is, i only quoted his comments because i found them mildly amusing. But its a bit much to be talking about mistimed tackles in relation to a premeditated violent assault.

Pearce obviously never got his copy of standard post match interview responses when he took the job otherwise he would have given the "I didnt really get a view of the incident so cant comment on it"

Xavi6 wrote:
    As an avid Manchester City fan I would naturally like to jump to the defence of one of our players when the whole world is against him. I've done it for Joey Barton and Richard Dunne when they had their wild days. Unfortunately this time I cannot do so.

What Ben Thatcher did tonight was disgusting and he should never be allowed to play for my club again. It was a clear assault on Mendes and I hope he gets punished. I have never rated Thatcher as a player or as a a person and I'm bemused as to why Pearce continues to play him over Stephen Jordan who is a far better talent. Hopefully the FA will take the decision over who to play at left back out of Psycho's hands by banning Thatcher for a long long time. Good riddance.

Fair Play, Even if you are a citeh fan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

jail time is needed

the guy is pure scum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Was watching stream of Chelsea,Boro game last night and at halftime they showed this incident and it sickened me to my stomach. Thatcher should be banned for a long time for this assault but reckon the "do sweet FA" will say their hands are tied and this piece of filth will get away with it and fair play to you Xavi6 for your unbiased comments about one of your players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Revalco

Should be banned for life, not the first time this scum has made a "tackle" like this.

And Pearces comments after the match, relects what their teaching them at Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Revalco wrote:
    And Pearces comments after the match, relects what their teaching them at Man City.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that, one "challenge" does not mean a team is being sent out to physically destroy their opponents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Absolute Disgrace. I hope someone goes out next week and breaks his leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Agreed with everything in the OP, some of these rules are absolutely ridiculous. This one in particular is pretty much saying that the referees are incapable of making a wrong decision. There's no margin for error at all, and it is one of, if not the most illogical rules in football.
    I was really pissed off after Michael Brown's tackle on Giggs on sunday, he should not be allowed to get away with it just because the referee didn't see it properly (I'm assuming he didn't anyway). Thatcher's was far worse, and how he got away with it is beyond me.
    Thankfully, the FA are showing some bit of rationality by considering making this an exceptional case to the rule. I hope they do so and throw the book at Thatcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Its not like its the first time thatcher's been involved in a nasty incident like this.
    Hang him out to dry!
    Mendes spent the night hospital curtosy of that scummer

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I wouldn't be so quick to say that, one "challenge" does not mean a team is being sent out to physically destroy their opponents.

True, but do you honestly belive " the velocity of the game B$ " what was it a race?? First one to the advising board wins?

Harry seen and im pretty sure Pearce seen it and probaly was well chuffed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Revalco wrote:
    True, but do you honestly belive " the velocity of the game B$ " what was it a race?? First one to the advising board wins?

Well chuffed? Are you for real? You've clearly no idea of what kind of person Stuart Pearce is if you're making an idiotic comment like that. Why the **** would he be? His defender just put a guy in hospital and the put the spotlight and added pressure on his club that is not needed. Yeah I'd say he's "well chuffed".

Revalco wrote:

Eh, I'm the one who started the thread to give out about Thatcher... I'm saying that I'm fairly sure Pearce doesn't send his players out to do that.

Show your support to the 'Ban Thatcher for Life' campaign by buying one of these:

http://www.tshirts365.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2146

• Advertisement

Aye i suppose 1 "tackle" from a player in his squad, is not is fault.

But the scum that is Thatcher.

*puts away pertol can*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭sideFX

Someone might have said this already. Very tired and didn't read whole thread... Wasn't Thatcher once with UTD?

Seems to be a bit of a common trait with UTD cast offs ...
    Thatcher, Robbie Savage, Greening ... they all play like bitter angry footballers imho. A llittle controlled agression is good but they're just pathetic and i seriously don't rate them at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

sideFX wrote:
    Someone might have said this already. Very tired and didn't read whole thread... Wasn't Thatcher once with UTD?

Thatcher, Robbie Savage, Greening ... they all play like bitter angry footballers imho. A llittle controlled agression is good but they're just pathetic and i seriously don't rate them at all

No he never played for United.

Millwall, Wimbledon, Tottenham, Leicester, Manchester City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

revalco banned for a week.

Others take note it was nasty challenge but please refer to the charter you agreed to when applying for access here.

kdjac

Xavi6 wrote:
    No he never played for United.

Millwall, Wimbledon, Tottenham, Leicester, Manchester City.
    Cheers .. dunno why i thought that .. prob bought him in Champ Man and cant tell reality from fantasy any more :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I always find it odd how quick we are to ban users, but how slow we are to delete the actual comment, which supposedly is so offensive. Bullshít. "I forgot to delete the comment which was so offensive, but I didnt forget to ban the man who caused such upset to everyone". Bullshít.

Speaking of rules, you cannot amend a yellow card, either up or down. The reason for this I guess is that if you could challenge a yellow card, then the appeals process would be a total and utter mess. There's hardle ever a game where there isnt one harsh yellow card given. And it wouldnt be fair to be able to turn yellow into red, without being able to get a yellow over-turned.

The ref and linesman should get a ban for incompetence.
    Mendes should take legal action against Thatcher.

Dermot Gallagher relegated to Championship after incident, Championship fans rejoice:

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_1444594,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It looked nasty, after each replay it looked worse.

Thatcher is a bit of a thug, but it's a physical game, and his arm came up (as it did in an earlier challenge). Not sure what kinda punishment should be handed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Dermot Gallagher relegated to Championship after incident, Championship fans rejoice:

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_1444594,00.html

Thats a great decision. maybe he could have just been banned for a month from refereeing instead and allowed to return to premiership. Its not like the championship is way easier to referee! I think Andere Marriner should also be banned for his failure to send off Michael Brown for clearly trying o break Giggs legg!!

sideFX wrote:

No he didn't. Are you trying to turn this into Man Utds fault some how? Regardless of what Robbie Savage has done in the past his tackles have never been to this degree. I think This is an exceptional case one of the worst I have ever seen. A deliberate elbow into the most vulnerable part of someones head. Borderline Attempted murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

AthAnRi wrote:
    Borderline Attempted murder.
    Wait a minute, it was a forearm smash, lets not get silly here.

Really annoys me when the Police get called into this type of thing, surely the game can be policed within itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

zabbo wrote:

Really annoys me when the Police get called into this type of thing, surely the game can be policed within itself.

I wouldn't go as far as saying attempted murder either but the assault could have led to permanent serious injury or death to the victim. If that had happen manslaughter charges against Thatcher would have been a possibility.

sideFX wrote:

What a stupid post,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

zabbo wrote:
    surely the game can be policed within itself.

have you not been paying attention to the posts? clearly it can't in certain cases.

• Advertisement

zabbo wrote:

I obciously don't think it was attempted murder, but the guy went in with some serious attempt. I was just trying to exagerate that point, that's why I used the word borderlin;)

I don't think the police some be getting involved. I'm a strong believer of what happens on a pitch stays on the pitch and this is where the matter should be dealt with. I know he has been involved in incidents like this before but a 5-10 game ban plus a hefty fine would be enough punishment for him at the moment. Second offence then he should be f**ked out of the game

I think the main thing people have a problem with is this rubbish of not being able to upgrade a yellow card using video evidence but being allowed to punish somone if the referee fails to do anything. Because he was yellow carde he could get away with it. Also I would like to add the Stuart Pearce has publicly stated that he nor anyone at the club could condone the actions. I guess he prob didn't see it properly after all on the day. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Just saw this last night. It gets worse each time I see it. You would think a Prem player would understand that there are enough dangers in the game without having to worry about lunatics like that.

Hats off to Pearce, he came out today and said "We havent got a leg to stand on in terms of defending that tackle".

Saw Browns tackle on Giggs last night too. Crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

AthAnRi wrote:
    I don't think the police some be getting involved. I'm a strong believer of what happens on a pitch stays on the pitch and this is where the matter should be dealt with. I know he has been involved in incidents like this before but a 5-10 game ban plus a hefty fine would be enough punishment for him at the moment. Second offence then he should be f**ked out of the game

this would easily already be thatchers second offense, if not third or fourth! hes well used to getting himself into trouble by doing very stupid tackles and stuff! he had another real serious one a couple of years back if im not mistaken

Saw Browns tackle on Giggs last night too. Crazy.

Crazy indeed, he could have ended Giggs career with that one , He too showed no intention of playing the ball and deserved a red.

AthAnRi wrote:
    No he didn't. Are you trying to turn this into Man Utds fault some how?
    Cool the jets.. it was already pointed out to me. i thought he might have and thought there was a bit of a pattern with ex ManU's which doesn't imply it's ManU's fault anyway... but Thatcher being ex Wimbledon might expain his crazy streak .. no i'm not saying it's Wimbledon's fault either ..
    AthAnRi wrote:
    Borderline Attempted murder.
    and very nearly did

this would easily already be thatchers second offense, if not third or fourth! hes well used to getting himself into trouble by doing very stupid tackles and stuff! he had another real serious one a couple of years back if im not mistaken
    He elbowed Nicky Summerbie of Sunderland once and was in trouble for that too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

zabbo wrote:
    surely the game can be policed within itself.

I think FIFA, UEFA and the national level FA's have shown time and time again that they cannot police this kind of thing. How often have you seen an off the ball incident go unpunished?

This is an extreme case here, that merits special attention. If I done that to a guy in a sunday league game I would probably get done for assault. Why not the guys who play for a living?

FIFA need to cop on and give FA's more power to take retrospective action. Everyone knows how often a ref gets something wrong, at least let the ref make amends afterwards by viewing video evidence and including it in his match report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

The Muppet wrote:
    Crazy indeed, he could have ended Giggs career with that one , He too showed no intention of playing the ball and deserved a red.

Couple that with his tackle last year, not sure who it was on but this guy has been lucky not to end somebodys career.

Couple that with his tackle last year, not sure who it was on but this guy has been lucky not to end somebodys career.

Sean Davis. Rotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I'm talking about the fact that once a referee gives a player a yellow card for a "challenge" that no further action can be taken after the game. Thoughts?

I think its a crazy rule. Its got something to do with the Ref's association who bartered for it as they didnt want to see their decisions being usurped, overuled, etc. I would vote for a change to it, and I think the Ref's would agree to it if a Ref's panel (rather than an English FA panel) were used to make a fina decision.

I didnt see the incidents over the weekend, but I'm a firm believer in using post-match video evidence as a deterrent against foulers and thuggery. Skills need protecting as much as possible.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

evilhomer wrote:
    This is an extreme case here, that merits special attention.

Obviously it was a horrendus tackle but the FA cannot arbitraily change the rules. What this has shown is that the 'no further action if a yellow has been shown' rule is flawed and should be amended but not retrospectivly.

I don't think that players should be allowed to appeal yellow cards though as everyone would do so.

Of course they can arbitrarily change the rules, it’s their association. They, in conjunction with other ruling bodies (FIFA etc.), are the law makers of the game and, as such, dictate what is acceptable and what isn’t. This clearly wasn’t, yet the inability of the FA to police it’s own game makes a mockery of their authority.

Of course they can arbitrarily change the rules, it’s their association.

Not retrospectivly though

huh?

why can't they make an exception for an assaault such as thatchers? I'm pretty sure they can do what they like. better still, they should change the rules so this farce won't arise in future.

huh?

why can't they make an exception for an assaault such as thatchers? I'm pretty sure they can do what they like. better still, they should change the rules so this farce won't arise in future.

The FA can't now change it's own rules and back-date it as he was punished as per the laws of the game, by the refeere.

I agree that the FA should ensure that the rule is changed to avoid a similar
    cockup in the future but thats about all they can do..

• Advertisement

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/5300184.stm
    Manchester City have banned their defender Ben Thatcher for six matches and fined him six weeks' wages for his challenge on Portsmouth's Pedro Mendes.

The internal club punishment is seperate from any Football Association sanctions over the incident, which left Mendes unconscious.

City said two matches of the six-game ban would be suspended.

Thatcher was left out of the weekend's Arsenal match, which means he will now sit out a further three games.

Those games will be the 11 September trip to Reading, and the away games at Blackburn on 17 September and Chesterfield three days later.

Manchester City chief executive Alistair Mackintosh said: "As custodians of the club, and football in general, the board and the manager felt it was important to act as soon as possible."

Thatcher, who has written to Mendes to apologise for the challenge, must answer an FA charge of serious foul play by 12 September.

Mendes has said he will not pursue a legal claim against Thatcher but the Portuguese midfielder did urge the FA to "make the right decision on his punishment".
    Revalco wrote:
    im pretty sure Pearce seen it and probaly was well chuffed.

Clearly not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

fairplay to man city, but probably hoping that this ban would be easier than any ban he might get from the FA and are hoping the FA dont punish him harshly based on Man City's own actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭zacharius

fairplay to man city, but probably hoping that this ban would be easier than any ban he might get from the FA and are hoping the FA dont punish him harshly based on Man City's own actions.

Ah I doubt it - I really think Pearce etc are as disgusted by the challenge as everyone else to be honest, and dont think the FA will take the club's punishment into account when doling ou ttheir own - both have to be seen to come down hard on the idiot. Mendes is really reacting well to all this - I'd be trying to get him locked up after what he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

8 match ban for thatcher!
    http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_1495980,00.html

With a further 15 match ban should he reoffend in the next two years!

Rightly so I say! The FA have sorted this out properly for once!

I know I bring it up EVERY time, but David Prutton got a 10 game ban for his "attack" on the linesman.

• Advertisement
Advertisement