Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine 450points with interview?

Options
  • 24-08-2006 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭

Regarding a change in entering the medicine course does anyone know when this amendment is due to take place? I heard from some people that it's to be set in motion this year:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

spoof, been saying that for years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

2008 but you will have to do an aptitude test to get in tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Yuppers, next year's Leaving Certs will be the last class not to do the aptitude tests. Apparently, it's the Australian exam they will use.

Better idea.Stop all these children being pushed into Medicine by their parents.Half the people I know doing medicine are really unhappy with the course.They are jealous of people doing arts, commerce etc ie courses they wanted to do but their parents made them do medicine.

Do you not have to do a degree first?

• Advertisement

Nope. This is for all school-leavers. BTW, 101st post!

Oh, and by the way, The_Dazzler, thanks for the advice about Biomedical Science. =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Mary Hanafin has actually confirmed that it will happen in 2008. It's on The Independent website.
    You have to get 450 points and then do a suitability test - hopefully it will be a sort of personality test to see if students have the people skills necessary to be a good doctor. I think it's a great idea and one that is long overdue because so many people go into medicine just for the prestige and because they got the high points.

Is this for all health sciences or just medicine?

I presume they would look on a B.sc. as equivalent or better than leaving cert.:p

It is a better idea.Like I said,many med students don't particularly like their course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Yes, I think!

Medicine, Dentistry, and Pharmacy are included anyway. I'm not sure about Veterinary or anything else though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

eamoss wrote:
    2008 but you will have to do an aptitude test to get in tho!
    aptitude test, interview, it's all the same:)

Cheers for clearing that up people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 S_D_D_O_R

There should be an interview/aptitude test anyway, as has been said a lot of Med Students do Med 'cause Mum & Dad think it will look good for the neighbours. :rolleyes:

How does this apply to B.Sc. students?Does anybody know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

I wish we had this year! then I could of gotten into pharmacy with the poitns I got :(

d4gurl wrote:
    I wish we had this year! then I could of gotten into pharmacy with the poitns I got :(
    Not being presumptious pet but your family has to learn less than 40000 a year gross.Seeming as you live in d4 and went to institute.I think this rules you out.Sorry!:(

Its actually in NUIG starting next year.Although it only applies the BMW region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 westhammer

Yeah I agree that its a good idea. I got Medicine this year but it wouldve been so much easier if the points were 450. A lot less study involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Not being presumptious pet but your family has to learn less than 40000 a year gross.Seeming as you live in d4 and went to institute.I think this rules you out.Sorry!:(

Its actually in NUIG starting next year.Although it only applies the BMW region.

my dear friend the dazzler!why oh why did you assume - and therefore make an ass out of u and me hahaha! I don't live in D4 I never thought in a million years that I would use boards seriosuly so made this name up for the crack and believe me I am paying for it!but i did go to the institute! Is that not unfair that this new system is not available to everybody though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Yes, but saying that, you might not necessarily get in. What if the aptitude test says you're "not suited" to medicine, when you have your heart set on it?

There's always going to be some problem with every system you encounter, the current one isn't that awful, though the reasons some people do medicine are rather suspect..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

"I reckon I'll get 600 points, so I'll apply for medicine"

d4gurl wrote:
    my dear friend the dazzler!why oh why did you assume - and therefore make an ass out of u and me hahaha! I don't live in D4 I never thought in a million years that I would use boards seriosuly so made this name up for the crack and believe me I am paying for it!but i did go to the institute! Is that not unfair that this new system is not available to everybody though?

But I assume your family income is above 40000 euro a year.To be fair.Most families on less than this amount of money would really be struggling to survive.Plus Pharmacy is not coming in till 2011.More than likely if I do my MPharm,I will have qualified the year before it is introduced.Well It is only NUIG that has it for the BMW region.Perhaps UCD will have it for disadvantaged in Dublin area.

I think the reason that they brought it in was to stop people going into private schools from having an advantage over people who could not afford the fees and had to go to community schools etc.ie that people who got did well from a disadvantaged background would be more suited than a person who learned everything by rote in a grinds school.

Pharmacy/Pharmacology for the win.

• Advertisement
Advertisement