Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darkstar one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Try out the demo first to see if you like it, but really it's just a second rate freelancer knockoff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it's british made I'd avoid it. Eurogamer have a nasty habit of over rating brit developed games. I bought that awful muck Battle Engine Aquila based on their favourable review.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Ha! - I had a strange fondness for battle engine aquila...

Shameful I know...

As recommended tho - download a demo first and try before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Retr0gamer wrote:
    If it's british made I'd avoid it. Eurogamer have a nasty habit of over rating brit developed games. I bought that awful muck Battle Engine Aquila based on their favourable review.

I really like that game!

No accounting for taste I suppose ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I read a review on the US pc gamer, and they said it was pretty average. Its a massive game, with hundreds of areas, but most area's are just like randomly generated area's, with sweet **** all in them. Also, you stay in the same ship for the entire game, just upgrading it, which kinda sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

the most recent ep of consolevania recommended a space civ type game. Said it was huge - Galactic Civilisations 2

Might be worth a look if you're into micro management space sims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Well, Gal Civ 2 and Darkstar One are from two completely different genres - there's not much point in comparing them.

That said though, Gal Civ 2 is a top class strategy game, second only to Civ IV.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Darkstar's not bad. It's pretty much like all those Elite, privateer, freespace games, I suppose. It doesn't add too many new features, but it's easy and fun to play. Plus it's one of the few space sims where you can easily make a fortune with trading! Combat is a little too easy, though. And my major gripe is that you only have one ship that you upgrade. And in order to upgrade you have to find "artifacts" that merge with your ship. The problem being that some are in starsystems and others you have to complete certain mission that you can find on trading stations, meaning that in order to get all the upgrade artifacts you have to visit every single station and it gets very repetitve. I'd give it maybe 7/10. But I can see it getting boring fairly soon, but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

finished darkstar one there last week, found it pretty addictive while i was playing it, though as the previous poster said alot of the stuff in the game gets very repedive. The only things that vary between systems is really the story missions and the side missions, most other things is pretty standard. lots of eliminate this pirate for the bounty(he would be with ~5 - 10 other ships), the race of the pirates and the difficulty is all that changes. Though once you upgrade the ship to 5 turrets it really becomes pretty easy, some battles i'd never hit the trigger and take out 15+ ships just manuvering alot so they can't hit me turrets do the rest...

Advertisement