Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration

Options
  • 24-08-2006 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Before I start I'd just like to point out that I'm not planning on doing this any time soon, I'm just talking in terms of a hypothetical situation :)

Anyway, at some point in my life - probably within the next 10 years, meaning that (please god!) my current pets will still be alive - I plan on immigrating to an as yet undecided location, most likely within Europe. I'm not sure yet whether I'll stay there permanently, or if it'll just be for a year or so (which wouldn't really make it immigrating...), but in any case if I am to do this my animals will have to come with me.

Now, disregarding the respective laws for bringing pets into certain countries (I have already done a lot of research, also I will not be travelling anywhere that will require them to be quarantined), I'd like to hear people's opinions on transporting animals in general. I am also aware that it is sometimes possible to sedate certain animals for the duration of their journey, so bear this in mind too.

So, my questions to you are:
    1) What is the general consensus on the transport of animals via plane/boat? Do you consider it to be cruel and/or dangerous, or would you have no problem with it given the right circumstances?

2) Have any of you ever successfully transported your pets to another country, and if so how did you manage?

I have to say that if I deemed at the time that it would unfair on my animals to attempt to transport them (due to it being a nasty experience for them or whatever) I would certainly not be going. I wouldn't part with them for love nor money!

Looking forward to hearing opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'm kind of split on this but leaning towards bringing animals with you, even though I had to leave kitten at home with my parents when I moved to the US. I have heard stories about animals having to be left in quarantine for a long time but I'm just not educated on the situation. I guess between Europe it might be a bit less strict (and shorter time for flight/boat) than from Ireland to the US. Hopefully you will get your answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Thanks Ruu. Like I said, I wouldn't even consider leaving them behind. I just couldn't do it. Also I mentioned that I wouldn't go anywhere where they'd have to be quarantined, I couldn't do that either :p I'm a big wuss really, I'd miss them too much. Plus it's not fair for them!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking (about Europe). The journey wouldn't really be that bad, especially as taking a boat would be an option for most places. Keep the views coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Hi,

the laws about taking animals with you have been refined since the EU was formed. It is easier to bring an animal from Ireland than it is to bring it into Ireland. But the PETS Scheme is great and animals can now travel freely if they are chipped and vacc'd etc under the scheme. I have brought dogs into Ireland and I would do it again. I cannot be without my animals and I would always take them with me if I had to leave Ireland again. It really depends on how long the journey is and if you are flying, driving etc. I re-home dogs to the UK and they travel via the Ferries. I have never had problems with them on the journey neither had the transporter (volunteer) which I sometimes use. For nervous dogs I take Rescue Remedy with me and it does the trick.
    Fair play to you!! I hope you can realise your dreams with your pets!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We brought a cat over from Holland to Ireland by car via England (before Ireland was part of the PETS scheme). No problems at all, although a) we had to get some tablets off the vet to keep him a little sedated during the journey, b) we had a place to stop (a relative) in England half way to break up the journey which helped a lot and c) officially we were apparently supposed to leave the cat in the car during the crossing which we roundly ignored and took him in his pet carrier onto the passenger deck with no problems.

The only 'problem' if you can call it that was the timing for the tick/parasite treatment which had to be done within a 24 hour period before leaving Holland. Luckily we had a friendly vet who was prepared to make an exception and do the business on a Sunday :)

Also note that regulations once you get to your destination country with regard to travelling within mainland Europe can be different from country to country. The PETS scheme is really only applicable to travel between the UK/Ireland and other approved countries, once you get on the continent things are still regulated to varying degrees but are generally a little more relaxed.

Thanks very much for the replies guys. I am aware of all the regulations involved, both for leaving/entering the country and for once I've arrived at my chosen destination, so taking time to tell me about these isn't necessary :) Again though, it is much appreciated.

Very glad to hear a couple of you have managed it successfully, gives me a bit of hope! I'd love to hear some more.

Also, I'd be grateful to hear from people who've transported pets other than cats and dogs if there's anybody about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

We came over from The Netherlands 4 years ago with our 5 cats (oldest one then 20, youngest 2 years old). It was a 24 hours non stop journey from door to door. (Arnhem-Calais-Dover-Holeyhead-Dublin and all the way up to the west)
    We are lucky to have a jeep, so we turned the back of the car into one big cat play area and they haven't been in a carrier at all. We had a littertray, toys and foodbowls and they had a great time.

They had to stay in the car when crossing the Irish Sea. As it was a rought journey we were not allowed to go below deck, but the the crew members looked very well after the cats and checked every half hour.

After the 24 hour journey the cats were fitter then we were.

We would do it al over again if we had to.

PS Our oldest cat died last saturday of a stroke. She was 24 years old. We now have 10 cats

So sorry to hear about your loss mjffey, especially after having her companionship for so long! But how wonderful that she lived such a lengthy and happy life.

Very pleased to hear your story, this gives me even more hope. If it was at all possible I would definitely go the journey by boat rather than by plane, it sounds as though this would be a much better option for my animals.
    Out of interest, how easily did you cats adjust to life in a foreign country once you arrived?

Bounty Hunter,

I don't think that it makes any difference to them where they are, as long as they feel safe.
    We kept them in for a few weeks to make sure they knew what and where there home is. (i.e where they get food;) ) We live very rural so don't have to be afraid of busy roads, speeding cars ect. They have acres and acres of land, but always stay close to our house.

Mariejeanne

Thanks mjffey. I didn't make myself very clear there, I meant really in terms of climate change/completely different landscape, etc. But now I actually think about it the difference between here and where you came from wouldn't really be that huge anyway so my question was sort of irrelevant :)

I've just confused myself now :p
    Basically, I was wondering about how the difference in temperature/seasons and such between here and say somewhere like Italy might affect my animals.

Animals adapt very easily to a new enverionment, whatever the climate change, unless ofcourse they are special animals from that area, say an elephant from Afrika might not like the North Pole :o, but our "western" raised pets are ok everywhere.

• Advertisement

Great, thanks for clearing that up. Looking highly positive so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would not sedate pets if they are flying - there is a risk of animals dying & you will not be allowed to be with the pets.

Have heard of 1 horror story where a guy in the uk was importing chinchillas from the USA - they had special cages etc - but the airline was worried about escapees - that they put the chins in a airtight crate - they all died :(

Oh of course, I'm well aware of that :) I didn't really make that clear, sorry. The sedation would only be for boat/car travel, and it would never be full sedation, only a very mild dose just to keep them calm.

My chins are the ones I'm worried about to be honest. I would absolutely not risk flying them as they are just too delicate, it would have to be a boat journey for them. And as I'm sure you probably know they cannot be anesthetised or sedately safely, so there would be no medical way to keep them from panicking as there would be for a cat or dog.

So on that note I'll repeat again, I'd really like to hear from anyone who's transported anything other than cats or dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

Hey, I feel for you cos I plan to move and take my spoilt dogs with me and it's tough to do it to them.
    My grandad moved over from the UK in the 1970's and brought the dog over by boat.
    My only concern about flying that I'm interested in finding out is that where do they travel on the plane? Is it where the luggage goes? Cos whenever I get my luggage back after a flight - cosmetics and things seem really really cold ?!
    I know you said you'd take them by boat and that seems the best possible option :) Just wondering about the plane thing myself since this is kind of relevant. Good luck :)

Hi Strokesfan.

It depends really on the size of your dogs. Some airlines will now allow suitably sized cats/dogs to travel in the cabin with you stowed under your seat in an airline-approved carrier. However, if they're too big/noisy/whatever this wouldn't be possible, and you'd also have to find an airline that would allow it in the first place.

Failing that, yes they do travel in the baggage compartment, but in a designated area which I presume would have proper air circulation/temperature facilities equipped, otherwise it would not be safe to transport animals this way.

Your best bet really would be to ring around a couple of companies and find out their individual policy, as it can vary quite dramatically from airline to airline.

Hope this is of some help!

Advertisement