Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attacked by a deer [video]

Options
  • 24-08-2006 5:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭

Just came across this...
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6020264244416084639 (It's nothing too disturbing, safe for work I guess)
    At first I was delighted to see mister hunter getting his slaps, I think people who kill animals for fun are dicks and deserve everything they get.
    But I'd never have thought a deer would be that agressive, I would have thought they'd run first... unless they were protecting their young or something.
    Does anyone know if that was a doe (a deer (a female deer)) or a stag? ... didn't look like it had big-mad stag antlers.
    Actually it makes me wonder about the deer in the Phoenix Park ... I generally avoid them by 100 meters or more, but has anyone heard of someone getting attacked by them? (from messing around or whatever)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Well afaik a doe has have no antlers at all so I would reckon if it has antlers at all then its a stag. It was fairly aggressive alright, not sure about the ones in Phoenix Park, if they were dangerous then they could put some manners on the scumbags. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Ruu wrote:
    Well afaik a doe has have no antlers at all
    Oh hmm, that sounds right :o:D
    Must be the younger males then... it's just when I see a massive bad-ass deer that looks like it'd kick any other deers ass - it always has very impressive looking antlers and I think "that's definitely a male".

I think the deer antlers fall off completely each year (grow back pretty much right away) as well so it depends what time of the year the video was taken. :)

Wow, you're like that guy who used to come on the Den and teach people about wildlife and nature.
    Keep up the good work I say.

Wow, you're like that guy who used to come on the Den and teach people about wildlife and nature.
    Keep up the good work I say.

Haha Don Conroy. :) He was meant to come to our primary school, never arrived..broke my heart it did. :p

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote:
    Haha Don Conroy. :)
    YES! I was trying to think of the name. :D
    He was meant to come to our primary school, never arrived..broke my heart it did.
    Some guy from Dublin Zoo brought a monkey into class one time... which was nice. (If you like that sort of thing.)
    tbh I think if I were attacked by a monkey he'd win.
    Am I allowed to use reasonable force versus a monkey in a monkey-attack situation? or would that be considered cruel? what about a panda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

That was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time....hope the deer got away.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

The music was an excellent touch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I dont really find it that funny. But then I dont like laughing at animals... It must have happened during rutting season for the deer to be that aggressive.

I dont have a problem with deer being hunted. I live in Wicklow, and love having lots of deer around, but I've almost crashed into them several times on the road. Last time was Sunday night and I very nearly didnt see it. They're really dangerous when their number gets too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Ruu wrote:
    Well afaik a doe has have no antlers at all so I would reckon if it has antlers at all then its a stag. It was fairly aggressive alright, not sure about the ones in Phoenix Park, if they were dangerous then they could put some manners on the scumbags. :)

The reindeer is the only deer where BOTH males and females have antlers.

The deer in Pheonix park is the Red Deer.

• Advertisement

fits wrote:
    But then I dont like laughing at animals...
    Yeah, not unless they're doing something cute.
    Though personally I was laughing at the hunter, not the deer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

that video is mad... couldnt be real could it???

I like the video of cats doing enormously stupid things as well...

But.. that stag is distressed, and that guy could have been seriously hurt, nothing funny about that to me.

fits wrote:
    that video is mad... couldnt be real could it???
    The skate-boarding dog? It looks real to me... if they can make a monkey ride a bicycle, then I'd believe a dog could enjoy skateboarding.
    It's mad alright though, I could see someone putting the dog on the skateboard and pushing him along, but this dog was getting up all on his own.
    fits wrote:
    But.. that stag is distressed, and that guy could have been seriously hurt, nothing funny about that to me.
    Well the deer could have been seriously hurt too... and since the guy appears to be hunting (I assume he knows the risks involved), and the deer defending itself or its young, my sympathy is more with the animal in this case.
    When deer start hunting humans for sport then I may sway to the other side ;)
    Thinking about it though, I think it was more sick pleasure than humour for me... maybe I'm just a bit f*cked in the head ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

this hunter may want to reconsider going after animals again!! :D

Advertisement