Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard time

• 24-08-2006 8:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

I am working as an au pair at the moment, I moved here about 3 weeks ago. I get on well with the kids I care for, I have made some nice new friends and I like the area I live in. The problem is the parents I work for.
    I work from 7.30am until about 6 or 7pm Monday to Thursday. They are only supposed to make me work 5 hours a day, but since I (in theory) get the weekends off, I don't complain about the extra hours. Its really hard work, with 3 kids and all their pets to look after, plus I am expected to do all the cleaning, ironing, and all the other housework. I work really hard and am shattered by the end of each day, but no matter what I do, it's never good enough for the parents.
    The parents expect the house to be spotless when they get home, (not easy with 3 kids and all their mates there making a mess all the time) and if there is even one thing out of place, I get it in the neck For example, one day one of the kids put the butter back on the wrong shelf in the fridge, and the dad had a go at me about it. (he never even told me it was meant to be on a particular shelf, so how should i know?)
    One day they told me to put the wet clothes in the tumble dryer while they were at work. The tumble dryer was full, and no one had told me where to put the dry clothes, so I took the dry clothes out and put them in the clothes cupboard with all the other clothes. The dad was angry about this, he said they are meant to be folded up and put in a basket. (how should I know if no one had told me) So, during my free time, he made me stand there for ages folding up the clothes (which mainly consisted of his boxer shorts - eeeugh!) and put them away whilst he sat on his fat arse watching TV.
    When I first moved there, the mum gave me a cleaning list. She said clean the house by doing everything thats on this list, which I did. When she got home, she had a go at me for not doing stuff that wasn't even on the list! So I re did it. This time she could find nothing to complain about but even though it took 5 hours I didn't get a word of thanks just "it's OK i suppose" (it was spotless!)
    Yesterday the kids had thier friends round, so I was looking after 9 kids that day. I raced around all day tidying up after them whilst also trying to do all my other chores like the laundry, and walk the dog (who i am supposed to walk for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon) I had just managed to finish cleaning when the mum got home. She said "have you walked the dog?" I said, "I did in the morning but I didn't get a chance yet this afternoon as I have been cleaning and doing laundry all day"
    She was furious! She made me walk the dog in my "free time" and afterwards made me sit there for ages while she had a go at me. She said she was really upset that I hadn't walked the dog, she said she has 3 kids to run around after already and doesn't need another one, how can she trust me if I don't do what I'm meant to be doing, and if I carry on like this she will send me home! For god's sake, I had been so busy all day I hadn't even had time for lunch or to sit down!

The au pair is meant to pay for their own plane ticket, but once they reach the airport, it is the family's job to either pick them up or pay for their journey to the home. When I arrived at the airport, I called the dad and he told me to get a taxi. The house is hard to find and the taxi got lost several times on the way. When we phoned him for help he still refused to come and get me. He took the taxi money out of my already pitiful wages, so I am quite skint now. When I asked the mum if she could give me back the taxi money she had a go at me, and said no. She said I should have gotten an earlier flight then they would have picked me up. But the flight arrived at 9pm which isn't that late. They could still have been in bed by 10pm. Also, before i booked the flight I asked if it was OK and they said yes. By law they have to pay for me to do a language course while I'm here, but the mum was so pissed off that I'd had the cheek to ask for the taxi money back that she said she's not going to pay for my language course yet, not until she's sure she wants to keep me here.
    She then told me I was strange and did many strange things. I said, like what? The only thing she could think of was that it was strange that I had gotten such a late flight. I explained that and earlier flight was have cost alot more, but this wasn't a good enough explanation for her.

Also, it was agreed in advance that I would have evenings and weekends off. However, they always make me do stuff for them during my free time, either´re doing housework that wasn't up to scratch, or taking the kids to activities, or babysitting them while the parents are out. Last weekend they made me waste the entire weekend going to stay with their relatives. I thought it was really harsh after I had spent the whole week slaving away, and just wanted to spend the weekend clubbing with my friends.
    They are such control freaks and pick me up on everything. If even one shoe is not in line with the others at the front door, they act as if its the end of the world. They say things like "I can tell you don't live in an orderly manner at home" or "I can't imagine what a state you live in at home"

It's illegal to hit your kids here but that doesn't stop the dad. One day his son was eating and accidentally dropped a few grains of rice on the floor. The dad grabbed the kid by the arm, dragged him up and lifted his arm to thump him, then realised I was watching and let him go. Another time, the dad was telling off his other son. The son raised his arm to scratch an itch and the dad furiously slapped the kid's arm down and yelled "NO! You stand like this when I'm talking to you!"

I can't stand the parents but the kids are nice, and I really like this area. After what the mum said to me last night I'm worried she will send me home, and I don't want to go now that I have made friends and am having fun in my (rare) free time. But it seems like nothing i do is ever good enough for these bloody wierdos.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Contact the agency you came with.

Make sure these horrible people know you have contacted the agency.

They are not the only family in the country looking for an au pair.

The more you let them bully you like they are doing, the more they will bully you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

That's the problem though, we didn't go through an agency. I've got no contract and no back up or anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

OK, if you've no contract, you haven't a leg to stand on.

And they know it...which is why they are treating you like they do.

Can you contact an au pair agency and get on their books? You HAVE to get out of the situation you're in.

Are you from this country, or is there a visa issue too?

well i'm from the uk living in sweden so i don't need a visa. but so many people want to be au pairs its not easy to find a job. also i love this area and i have made some really great new friends who i don't want to leave. I just don't want her to send me home like she has threatened. I don't think I've done anything that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

Oh my God... they should be locked up!

How old are you?
    What are they paying you per week?

• Advertisement

The big mistake you made is not having a contract.

Tell her you want them to draw up a contract saying what are and are not your duties, when your free time is, what their responsibilities are (plane ticket, language course etc.). When the contract is agreed by both sides, sign it and get a copy.

You need to have a fall back plan if they decide to not give you a contract, so it might be worth asking your friends if they know of any decent people looking for an au pair.

well i'm from the uk living in sweden ...

I would be absolutely astonished if the Swedish police would not be interested in this.
    Sweden is generally a very well-regulated country.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

That's the problem though, we didn't go through an agency.

Find one and join it. There is nothing you can do to change these type of people and no one you can turn to, unless Sweden has someone who acts like an Ombudsman? Even then you probably wouldn't want to work for them. They know very well you have no one to turn to, hence they doing as they please with you. Spend all your free time looking for another job and move. If you have made friends over there, then perhaps they can point you in some helpful directions that you haven't thought of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭aonfocaleile

Have you considered contacting the embassy? Might be a bit of a last resort but its the job of the embassy to assist citizens of their country. Not sure where the UK embassy is based but I'm sure if you google it, you'll find it.

The Embassy of Sweden
    Sun Alliance House
    13-17 Dawson Street
    Dublin 2
    Tel:01 474 4400
    Fax: 01 474 4450
    E.Mail: swedemdublin@eircom.net
    ambassaden.dublin@foreign.ministry.se

DaDa wrote:
    Oh my God... they should be locked up!

How old are you?
    What are they paying you per week?

I'm 22, and in theory I'm meant to be getting 3500SEK a month, although I lost 530SEK on that taxi, plus they complain if I eat too much of thier food, so i spend alot of money buying my own food.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote:
    I would be absolutely astonished if the Swedish police would not be interested in this.
    Sweden is generally a very well-regulated country.
    well apart from thumping thier kids i don't think they're doing anything illegal. and anyway, the police wont find me somewhere else. i'll just be sent home.

spurious wrote:
    Tell her you want them to draw up a contract saying what are and are not your duties, when your free time is, what their responsibilities are (plane ticket, language course etc.). When the contract is agreed by both sides, sign it and get a copy.your friends if they know of any decent people looking

But she was so pissed off when i asked for the taxi money back i'm too scared to ask for a contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭aonfocaleile

StormWarrior - I seem to have misread your post. Can you clarify where you are working - Ireland or the UK?

Its not that relevant anyway - there are European laws which govern working conditions etc. Effectively you are being treated like a slave and unless you can secure other employment, you're a bit stuck. Please think about contacting the Swedish embassy, wherever you are. They should be able to put you in touch with a reputable agency. Good luck

Here is the website to the British Embassy in Sweden.

http://www.britishembassy.se/

I'm sure they have minimum wage laws in Sweden, so it's not just the smacking the police would be interested in - though it is a serious offence.

You need to spend all your time looking for another position, with a reputable agency, then leave the crowd you're with. Alert every agency you know to what they have done to you and make sure they can never get another au pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

A cousin of mine was in a similar position when she au paired in Germany. The family treated her like absolute muck with demands like the ones you're experiencing. Also like you she had no contract with the couple as she didn't go through an agency.

She had made some friends and was very reluctant to let that go and she adored the children she was taking care of. We have no family in Germany and she felt very alone. In the end the situation in the house got so unbearable that she knew she had to leave.

She used the lack of a contract to her advantage and was able to up and go without any form of notice once she got the cash together for the flights home. Once she got home she registered with an agency and went back to Germany to au pair for a family that she adored and who adored her. My cousin realised that although she wouldn't get to see her friends that often, she wouldn't lose touch with them and would be able to visit and it would be better to spend time with them as a happy person instead of feeling miserable about her situation.

OP you may love the area and you may love your friends, but the way you are being treated is tantamount to slavery. As has already been pointed out, the more you let them bully you the more they will continue to bully you.

My advice to you would be to get out of that situation. Yes, you'll miss your friends and the area but in the long term you will find a much better position for yourself and it's not like you will never be able to see them again. Go home and stay with your family for a few months (if possible) and get yourself registered with an agency. Perhaps tell them that you would really love to go and work in this same area, but this time you will have a contract and can't be treated like muck. I know it probably seems like a lot of hassle when you could just grin and bear it, but is it really worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

A cousin of mine was in a similar position when she au paired in Germany. The family treated her like absolute muck with demands like the ones you're experiencing. Also like you she had no contract with the couple as she didn't go through an agency.

She had made some friends and was very reluctant to let that go and she adored the children she was taking care of. We have no family in Germany and she felt very alone. In the end the situation in the house got so unbearable that she knew she had to leave.

She used the lack of a contract to her advantage and was able to up and go without any form of notice once she got the cash together for the flights home. Once she got home she registered with an agency and went back to Germany to au pair for a family that she adored and who adored her. My cousin realised that although she wouldn't get to see her friends that often, she wouldn't lose touch with them and would be able to visit and it would be better to spend time with them as a happy person instead of feeling miserable about her situation.

OP you may love the area and you may love your friends, but the way you are being treated is tantamount to slavery. As has already been pointed out, the more you let them bully you the more they will continue to bully you.

My advice to you would be to get out of that situation. Yes, you'll miss your friends and the area but in the long term you will find a much better position for yourself and it's not like you will never be able to see them again. Go home and stay with your family for a few months (if possible) and get yourself registered with an agency. Perhaps tell them that you would really love to go and work in this same area, but this time you will have a contract and can't be treated like muck. I know it probably seems like a lot of hassle when you could just grin and bear it, but is it really worth it?

Great advice peachypants. Yes the lack of contract cuts both ways. I dont know what the laws are like in sweden to protect from this sort of thing, it is worth contacting your embassy to find out.

Use the links provided to go through agencies. I think parents like that are using the fact that it is so popular being an au pair to their advantage. they certainly cannot hold you as then that WOULD be breaking the law.

I believe if you were treated like that in the workplace you would have every right to file a grievance proceedure.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on

Actually i am going to edit because it got me thinking of what would happen in bullying and harrassemnt situations like this at work (which essentialliy it is for you).
    Get a book:
    record
    What happened
    Where did it happen
    when did it happen
    Who was present.

Also record how you felt.
    Do this for every incident either you observed or was directed at you.

Record what your duties were if yoiu have a written list then keep it, record any you were forced to do over this.

They will have to refute the list, they can fudge general allegations, but they will have to justify specific allegations.

The book can then be used when highlighting with your embassy, the police, other agencies.
    Also, make sure you keep it well hidden
    If they keep being bad ..tell them you have a record and will use it if they continue.
    self protection is the name of the game now

but i have no contract. they will just tell me to go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Maybe going home would be the best thing? Why would you want to stay in that situation when you can go and register with an agency and be placed with a family who will treat you like a human being?

This is not the only au pair job you will ever get. Yes it's a popular industry but you will find something else if you go through the official routes.

You will make new friends, you will be able to keep in touch with your friends in Sweden and you may even be able to go back to that area. Even if you have to spend a few months back in the UK you should do it. It'd be much better for you in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

I know you are 22, but what do your parents think of this?
    Have you discussed everything with them. They surely would want to help/support in some way? Older brothers/sisters you could turn too?

I'm thinking in terms of supporting you getting to a B&B, finding a better paid job and getting rented accomodation so you can be much more self-sufficient if you really want to stay there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Storm, that is sooo bad! you are really being treted like a slave..... abused even!

Can you join an agency back in the UK (while still in Sweeden) and then try and find new job in Sweeden? Tell agency about conditions, tell them you like the city/area and have friends and want to stay, and see if there is anything else avail. I think you need to get out of that situation, you will not be able to change it.

anyway, best of luck. and if you ever want to au-pair in Kerry then send me a pm!

as for going home, i don't want to because despite how crazy the parents are, i love everything else. I love the area I'm staying in, and I have made some awesome new friends. I love spending time with them as often as possible (its the only thing which keeps me going right now) and visiting them on holiday once or twice a year just won't be the same.

As for my parents, I am not telling them because there is nothing they can do about it, and I don't want to worry them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

So let me get this straight... You wont speak to your parents, you wont speak to the embassy, you wont contact an agency nor speak to your host family about a contract or anything else ?

Dont get me wrong, sounds terrible the way you are being treated but I dont know what advice youre looking for if you wont do any of the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

It's a terrible situation you're in, but I have to ask; How are you getting the time to follow and post replies in this thread? Or am I missing something?:o

LK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Yeah, the only thing left is to stand up to the parents and tell them that you didn't have the time and show them a log of what you did through the day etc...

You seem willing enough to put up with thier abuse so I don't know what else to say.

ok, first of all, this is the first day i have had where the family aren't here, so this is the first break i've had in ages. as long as i get the housework done before 1.45pm (and i am doing the laundry etc at the same time as being here) then i can use the computer.

and I have contacted an agency just now. they said they will try and help.

and I have contacted an agency just now. they said they will try and help.

Contact as many as you can, that way, one of them is bound to come through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Jim10000

Good for you Storm Warrior, I'm glad to hear you're getting things moving. You REALLY need to get out of there. Like B says, contact as many agencies as possible. How competitive is it around there for au pair jobs? will it be really difficult to get a new one?

I hope that you can get all the money you're owed before moving on too, i'm sure you'll have to be a bit sly about the timing when you drop the bomb on your nazi hosts that you're leaving. Best of luck with it.

Why dont you post their address here so we can all send them poos in shoeboxes? (after you've gone like)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

They are exploiting you because they know they have you trapped essentially, I would keep your head down for a week or two and continue as best you can while furiously looking for something else in your spare time and then just leave them after you get your cash into your hand.
    Make sure you're well organised by having part of your stuff moved or ready to move - it sounds like an awful situation to be in, I really feel for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 billy1

Ah the new rich of Ireland, great people.

I would advise you to up stakes and get a new job, plenty of work in Ireland.

Good Luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

billy1 wrote:

Good Luck.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Don't you just love when people read all the previous posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I'm 22, and in theory I'm meant to be getting 3500SEK a month, although I lost 530SEK on that taxi, plus they complain if I eat too much of thier food, so i spend alot of money buying my own food.

3500 SEK = 350 EUR approx,
    so best case scanario you getting only 350 EUR a month?

billy1 wrote:

Good Luck.

Billy
    If you had actually read the thread you'd know she's working in Sweden.
    Please don't comment in a thread again if you refuse to read it first.
    Thanks
    B

OK, last night they were horrible to me in so many ways, too many to list, but here is one:
    I had been told to make dinner for the kids as the parents were out for the evening. (Expecting me to work during my "free time" again!)
    The little girl asked me if she could make dinner instead and I said No. So she got her mum on the phone and her mum said yes she can cook tonight. So thats what happenned. When her mum got home, she could see I was dressed in my sports gear ready to go to my aerobics class, which she had promised I would make on time. She called me into the kitchen and demanded to know why I hadn't made dinner. I reminded her she had told me the girl could cook. She yelled "Don't be so stupid, do you really think a ten year old can make her own dinner?!"
    She yelled so long I missed my aerobics class, and when her husband came hom they yelled at me for 2 and a half hours, saying thing like "What's wrong with you, you must be stupid. In fact, you are so amazingly stupid, we are actually worried about you" and other such unnecessarily rude things.
    When I told the dad the mum had said the kid could cook, the mum said, "No, I said she could bake cakes" (which is not at all true)
    I didn't want to anger her further, so i said it must have been a misunderstanding caused by the language barrier (thier english isn't perfect by any means)
    The dad just said "Yes you seem to have alot of misunderstandings don't you" and then carried on yelling.

Anyway, I'm running away today. I'm going to stay with a friend for a week or 2, then I will go home as I have been offered a place at university in Wales. I still love Sweden and the majority of Swedish people, its still my favourite country and I still want to live here again one day (though not as an au pair!) I won't let these w&%#"rs spoil my experiences of Sweden, which, apart from this, have all been great. I'll still keep in tuch with my Swedish friends and visit again soon.

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE! - Should I leave a note when I run away, and what should I write? What revenge can I exact before I depart?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

By all accounts these parents sound like lunatics.
    However, i do agree that you shouldn't have left the ten year old to cook her own dinner! I would presume the mother meant for you to cook it with her.

Anyway, thats beside the point, everything else sounds like you are right to get out. I don't think you should 'run away' though, you're not a child. Pack all your bags, arrange a lift/taxi if required and then wait for them to come home. When they do then tell them you think you have been treated disgracefully and give them examples. Is their somesort of group/body that regulates the au pair industry? If so i would tell them you will be reporting them to that.Then get up and go.

i don't want to wait for them as i am scared s#€%less of them. also, i don't want the kids to witness a potential fight.

They had a go at me as well yesteday because I treat the dog like a dog and not a member of the family. I don't spend enough time talking to him, petting him, stroking him and playing with him. (how they know what i do with the dog when they're not there, I have no idea)
    So, basically, as if I don't already work ten hours a day, they really think I should spend more of my free time being a close friend to some mangy mutt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Coonagh Cowboy

Sorry to hear about the problems your having at the moment,I'm not sure if you've checked into it or not but alot of au pair work you can also find at some equestrian centres,I know here in ireland their always looking for them so they can focus more on their businesses,you might check into it.Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.As for a vengeful letter,you could always write one like i wrote one for my last job and it went something along the lines of:Dear Sir/Madam,
    After careful consideration of my present employment with your company,I have determined that I cannot in clear conscience continue to work for a group of selfish bastards as yourselves and therefore post my notice of leaving,I would have given it 2 weeks notice to give you ample time to find a replacement but that would merely give you the false impression I give a crap about you,your needs and your company.Kindly feck off,<your name here>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

i don't want to wait for them as i am scared s#€%less of them. also, i don't want the kids to witness a potential fight.

There doesn't have to be a fight. Have a taxi or whoever is giving you a lift waiting outside the door. Say your piece, if they start getting agressive then just go outside to your lift.

• Advertisement

OK I finally did it! A Swedish friend invited me to stay at his house, so yesterday a girlfriend and I very apprehensively went to the house. Thank god they weren't there when we got home. However my suitcases (which they had told me they would put in the garage) were no where to be found! I called the dad on his mobile and said "my friend is going on holiday and she needs to borrow my suitcase - where is it?"
    The dad said "I've locked it in the cellar and I don't want you going in there! We are away until tomorow," then he proceeded to rudely demand that I take care of all the animals and everything in the house till they get back (in my "free" time!)
    Anyway my friend and I tried to get into the cellar, but we couldn't work out how to unlock it! I called a swedish friend, he came over and thank god he got my suitcases out!
    I packed, then my friend and I went into the house. To piss the family off, we made international phone calls from their landline, me home to England and my friend home to Spain. We took lots of food from the cupboards (anything nice we could find like chocolate, popcorn, biscuits, etc) then I got some really bad-smelling cheese and hid it under the mum and dad's ensuite bath.
    I fed the animals as they had asked me to, then left a note, something along the lines of this:
    "Your kids are really nice and looking after them has been a pleasure. However you have treated me like something you scraped off your shoe. Despite the fact that I have always been courteous and polite to you, you have been extremely rude and abusive to me, eg-repeatedly calling me stupid, and have made my stay here really unpleasant. You guys could make the baby Jesus cry. Good luck finding another slave. PS - the key is under the flowerpot."

It was a little more detailed than that, but that's the general gist. I left my room in a mess (well I couldn't be bothered to clean it and why should I after all the cleaning I've done after them) with pizza boxes and dirty plates strewn around.
    Then the neighbours were starrting to come out of their houses and so we called a taxi and left before they realised what was happenning.

The parents are due back at about 3pm today, and I am a little scared. What if they are angry and try and get i contact with me? They have my phone number and I'm not sure if they have my address.

Anyway, at least now I can spend the rest of my stay having fun! I think I will leave Scandinavia on Thursday, go home for a few days, then my Spanish friend has invited me to stay with her in Spain for a few days, we will go clubbing in Ibiza, which I've always wanted to do! Then a few weeks after that, I start university in Wales (I just got offerred the place a few days ago)

I'm so nervous about what the family will do when they get home! And I wish I had left a note for the kids now, but I will email them to let them know it wasn't their fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

TBH I know they treated you like crap but you behaved extremely childish by ringing international numbers and leaving cheese in the bathroom. What would this accomplish?

Well done Stormwarrior - you're better off out of it.

Enjoy your freedom, clubbing and studies. To hell with nazi scum!

By the way, I'm considering becoming an au pair in Sweden, could you please send me your former employers' address so i can mail them my CV?

orla wrote:
    I know they treated you like crap but you behaved extremely childish by ringing international numbers and leaving cheese in the bathroom. What would this accomplish?
    Giving me and my mate a good laugh and making me feel better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I can't believe you thrashed their house, in the parents' eyes that won't redeem yourself at all. And is extremely childish.

To piss the family off, we made international phone calls from their landline, me home to England and my friend home to Spain. We took lots of food from the cupboards (anything nice we could find like chocolate, popcorn, biscuits, etc) then I got some really bad-smelling cheese and hid it under the mum and dad's ensuite bath.
    etc.

That was a stupid thing to do. If they bother to get the police, which they are probably unlikely to do, but they might, you haven't a leg to stand on. Your allegations of how they treated you cannot be proved, but they can show you stole from them.

You need to grow up quite a bit.

Actually these guys are right, putting a piece of cheese under a bathtub is an offence punishable by death in most Nordic countries - I'd get out of there toute suite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Giving me and my mate a good laugh and making me feel better!

good on you..:D what's the worse they can do to you? call the cops?
    and draw attention to how they treat their au pairs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well done Stormwarrior - I don't think you "thrashed their house either - unlike some [?]

A cheesy bathroom and some missing food is nothing - I'd have been busy for days putting salt in the sugar and fish in the attic.....

Congratulations on your freedom

P.S. Tell them you are contacting a newspaper to tell your story.....

Advertisement