Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Folding@Home on your PS3 - Cure@PS3

Options
  • 24-08-2006 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

I thought this was pretty cool, and there'd be some who'd appreciate this here. Stanford have announced you'll be able to get Folding@Home for your PS3. They're calling it Cure@PS3.

http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-PS3.html
    Now in 2006, we are looking forward to another major advance in capabilities. This advance utilizes the new Cell processor in Sony’s PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) to achieve performance previously only possible on supercomputers. With this new technology (as well as new advances with GPUs), we will likely be able to attain performance on the 100 gigaflop scale per computer. With about 10,000 such machines, we would be able to achieve performance on the petaflop scale. With software from Sony, the PlayStation 3 will now be able to contribute to the Folding@Home project, pushing Folding@Home a major step forward.

No doubt it'll help Sony with PS3's credentials as a 'computer', and will help Folding@Home for obvious reasons. I wonder if the client runs via the Linux distribution on PS3 or something else?

There's a screenshot and movie at the link.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Considering how hot a 360 runs I don't think I would want to leave a PS3 at 100% on all day o_0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Considering how hot a 360 runs I don't think I would want to leave a PS3 at 100% on all day o_0

God bless warranties (and extended warranties)! :D;)

I don't think we should necessarily use 360 reliability as a guide for PS3. That's probably a debate for another thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

LookingFor wrote:
    I don't think we should necessarily use 360 reliability as a guide for PS3. That's probably a debate for another thread though.
    Nothing to do with reliability, just that the room becomes inhabitable after about 30min. No more heating bills at least :D

Advertisement