Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Britain likely to restrict Romanian/Bulgarian EU immigration

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

We had the Celtic tiger without the need of migrant workers so why do we need them now, most arent paying tax, most havent even changed there car plates to irish.
    NO!! .....dont say things like that here!! The spin is that without migrants we would be finished!! Never mind all we done ourselves in the early nineties with Intel setting up here in 1991 etc..In reality as George Lee on RTE said recently the Celtic Tiger died in 1996 when our industrial and IT output began changing to a domestic hyper building industry ficticious econmomy based on cheap credit. The cheap EBlock flood just makes it worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

As for the need for migrant labour the unemplyment rate is proof that they are needed. If they were'nt the rate would be far higer than it is. Buisnesses don't go bust due to lack of labour they simply don't grow.

Meaning we don't need even more labour this time from Romania and Bulgaria because we are already getting it from the 10 new EU states?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

neolxs wrote:
    I have recently just lost my job through my probation period. I have been working in Retail Management in the Uk and Ireland for over 20 years. I recentlly changed from one Irish company to another.

However I lost my position after just 4 months through my 9 month probation period.

Ive only just found out that my job has been given to a Management Trainee from Slovakia!

Sadly you're scenario is a sign of things to come for many Irish workers over the next 5 years yet there's still so many people banging on about how immigation is so positive when it's only going to keep our economy thriving for the short term and not the long term. As a young Irish person I feel I have little or no hope for building a life for myself in this country hearing the ever increasing stories such as yours. Immigration has it's positives no doubt but when it begins to come as an expense to our own labour prospects we have to take action through restrictions and give hope for our own people but when money, cheap labour, exploitation for the businesses talks that all goes out the window.

Advertisement