Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

520 vs 523

• 24-08-2006 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Need some advice. Buying a '99 BMW today/tomorrow. Have narrowed the search down to either a 520 or a 523... spec and mileage is pretty much the same. They are both auto/tip. The only thing that is making me consider the 523 is my suspicion that the 2 litre engine in the 520 may be a little underpowered for the size of the car... any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I think the 520 is 150bhp and the 523 is 170bhp, I'd go for the 523 for the smoother drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I have a 520, and I'd certainly prefer a 523 or 525 for their extra power!

Hash is right; the 520 is a 2.0 litre 150bhp engine, whilst the 523 is a 2.5 litre 170bhp lump.

Comparing fuel consumption, a friend and myself drove to Antrim from Galway last week (he was driving a 525 2.5 litre with 192bhp, but I think it's comparable). On the way up his fuel consumption was a bit better than mine, even though we were both doing the same speeds and both using cruise.

Also, I think that the bigger engine may be better with the steptronic box.

Best of luck with your purchase. You might pop into www.bmw-board.co.uk or www.bmw-driver.net when you get it (or even before!). Both are Irish based sites, and have technical areas for the 5 series, as well as just general chat. I've gotten some very good advice on both of them, and the people on them are dead on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What Fey! said. If you can afford to run a 2.5, you might as well go for a 2.8 528i*. It will cost no more to buy and will probably have a higher spec. It will probably cost no more to insure (it didn't for me when I checked) and it will only cost €200 per year more in tax. It will probably cost no more in fuel / maintenance, etc. Small price to pay for that bit more oomph

Was going for either a 523i or 528i myself 2.5 years ago, but went for a 735i instead

*or if you are really brave and do low miles, go for a 540i 4.4V8 :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have the 523i and find it quite good.
    The 525i came out in 2000 and may be out of your range.
    The advantage of the 523i and the 528i is that they were restricted at the factory and if you wish you can up the bhp. Im not sure if it is the same with the 520i.
    As it is a buyers market, make sure you get leather, digital climate control, decent 17" alloys, etc.
    Make sure that all the electrics work.
    The engine in the '99 straight six had alusil liners and seemingly doesn't give much grief.

Re: the motor tax - the 523i (2494cc) is €821 whereas the 520i (1991cc) is €539.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Garz wrote:
    Need some advice. Buying a '99 BMW today/tomorrow. Have narrowed the search down to either a 520 or a 523... spec and mileage is pretty much the same. They are both auto/tip. The only thing that is making me consider the 523 is my suspicion that the 2 litre engine in the 520 may be a little underpowered for the size of the car... any thoughts?

Have you driven both? If the 520 is quick enough for you then buy it. Otherwise, buy the 523.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

unkel wrote:
    What Fey! said. If you can afford to run a 2.5, you might as well go for a 2.8 528i*.

[/SIZE]
    I have a 523i and I'd prefer the 528i, so go for the 523i if thats your limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭jo.king

Guys,

What kind of milage can you expect from a 520, assuming that it has a 60 ltr tank and its just based on city driving?

Thanks,

Jo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

The 520 is gutless compared to the 523.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

The 520 will give about 380 miles on a full tank (about e85 to fill) if you have a heavy foot and only driving in town.

Junkyard - we took the '98 520 150bhp and '01 525 192bhp head to head from a standing start to 100kph; there was roughly 2 car lengths between them.

Fey! wrote:
    we took the '98 520 150bhp and '01 525 192bhp head to head from a standing start to 100kph; there was roughly 2 car lengths between them.

You were obviously the better accelerator, Fey! :)

The official 0-100km/h times are 10s vs 8s. That's roughly about 6 car lengths of a difference...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Peter C

I have a 523i for the past 3 years, great car, great fuel consumption, defo go for this car.

I feel the 2.0 litre engine is too small for the size of the car and would use more fuel than a 523i, ie more stress on the engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Why not go the whole hog and get a 530i (PM me for details!)

colm_mcm wrote:
    Why not go the whole hog and get a 530i (PM me for details!)

I'm amazed you got that as a P/Ex, Colm. What did the buyer go for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

unkel wrote:
    I'm amazed you got that as a P/Ex, Colm. What did the buyer go for?

Something much bigger......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote:
    Something much bigger......

Lexus LS430 or Land Cruiser VX?

Advertisement