Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science in Maynooth

Options
  • 24-08-2006 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

What's science like in NUI maynooth especially hours worked for Ist year 2nd yr 3rd and 4th years, and whats biology, experimental physics, mathematical physics like?....don't give links to site as already have been there, any other info greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

Well maths physics is fairly handy in 1st and 2nd year. If you've done applied maths then don't bother going to lectures except for the new stuff and purely out of interest.If you haven't done Applied Maths then do every 3/4 of the problem sheets(1 per week) and you'll definitely do well. Just be aware if there's something you don't understand, at first it'll seem small but soon it will grow into a hideous monster. Still do, it's pass applied maths.

I never did the other two but I reckon there at about higher level leaving cert, with a few new things thrown in to add interest and for the bored students to challenge themselves, or read up on if their really interested.

I'd say just don't let yourself get bored and realise that you haven't put pen on paper for 9 weeks. Then you'll feel the guilt, the anxiety and all sorts of regret, you'll probably still pass do, with some last minute study, DON'T DO IT THOUGH.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Biology in First Year is made up of many lectures and a three hour practical on either Thursday morning/Thursday evening or Friday Morning, depending on what other subjects you do.

The lectures in first year are pitched at leaving cert standard to begin with but as the year progresses the standard increases to slightly above that. They cover, plant and animal physiology, basic virology, plant and animal evolution and some basic genetics.

Practicals in first year have changed a lot since I did my degree and even since I demonstrated from 1997-2001 during my PhD. Basically they involve learning how to use a microscope properly (not like how you learned at school), how to make accurate observations and record them. In practice this means staring down a microscope and using pencils to draw what you see but you are still learning a lot.

There may be up to 100 students in a practical divided into groups of 10-12, the first 45 mins are usually a talk by the lecturer in charge of what you are going to do that day and why it is important in terms of what you've done in lectures. You are then handed over to the control of a demonstrator, these ar people who already have degrees and are studying for either a research masters (MSc) or a doctorate (PhD). They are experts and if you listen to them you can learn a lot.

Second year is much like first year except that the standard is far higher and you cover some modules that you didn't cover in first year.

Third year begins to cover a lot more medical biology, bacteriology, immunology, molecular genetics etc. and the practicals become more intersting. Fourth year is probably the best as you can choose what subject areas you want to cover, if you like ecology and environmental science you can cover that in greater detail, if you like plant science you can cover that, for me it was medical biology so I learned about tumour biology, molecular immunology, medical microbiology etc. Depending on results and personal choice you can opt to do either advanced practicals with demonstrators or a laboratory research project where you work in the research labs with either a PhD student or a post-doctoral (someone who has received their doctorate) researcher. The Post-docs are full-time research staff and are real experts in their chosen field, these people can teach you a lot.

All of this is really based on your willingness to learn. I would re-iterate, no matter how bored you are or tired you are (fromthe previous nights bar-ex) take notes and take some time to study, it really helps when it comes to not stressing too much at exam time.

Most of the Biology lecturers are very helpful and sympathetic to students so if you are having problems go to them immediately, you won't be the first student or the last student, they are used to it :)

Hours: (approximations) - total for all four subjects
    1st year - 30+ (lectures and practicals)
    2nd year - 25+
    3rd year - 22+
    4th year - 18+

Good luck and enjoy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Hi,

Its a great (if somewhat underrated) course. I did Biology and Chemistry for the four years and Exp Physics for two. My experience was that Biology got more interesting as the years passed while Chemistry less so.

First year or so in Biology was spent studying Plant/Animal Systematics in mind-numbing detail which nearly led me to quit but I think the 1st year courses may have changed somewhat (particularly with new immunology facilities). r3nu4l pretty much sums up the progression from 1st to 4th year.

Also bear in mind if you choose Biology, Exp Physics and maybe even Chemistry that 3 sets of 3hr labs in a week. Sheez...Arts students would barely make that in lectures alone during a week. Chem labs can be over 4hrs long on occasions (you're only as fast as your rate determining step!)

Enjoy your time in Maigh Nuad!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Jimoslimos wrote:
    (you're only as fast as your rate determining step!)

Or if you're like me, doing the quick steps over and over because you keep messing them up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

OP: will work out at between 20 and 32 hours in total.
    Depends on what you pick. Bear in mind that most people will miss lectures every week.

For example, math physics is only about 4 hours a week, tops.
    While Experimental Physics is 7 or so.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

OP: will work out at between 20 and 32 hours in total.
    Depends on what you pick. Bear in mind that most people will miss lectures every week.

For example, math physics is only about 4 hours a week, tops.
    While Experimental Physics is 7 or so.
    :)

Advertisement