Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help! Re: ADSL Modem with Wireless G Router and NTL

• 24-08-2006 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

ok, basically i just got a laptop and want to connect it to the internet. i got this router off dell and it said that it would be compatible with my ntl cable modem but from looking at teh back of both the cable modem and the router, i am having doubts. The ntl cable modem has 4 slots : one for power, one for ethernet, one for usb and one for connecting to pc. the ethernet slot is free atm. on the router there are 5 slots. one says "adsl" and teh other 4 are ethernet slots to connect to up to 4 pcs. i rang ntl to see if i could connect them but they said they dont support routers and couldnt give me any help:(

so can someone tell me if i have the wrong router?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Return to Dell and get a router that has an ethernet WAN port. The one you have is just going to cause you grief. And don't buy a Belkin one off them! In fact don't buy any router from Dell, you're bound to be ripped off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

well its too late for buying belkin and buying from dell. ive done both :D you said it will cause me grief...but would it work after all this grief?:)

Yes, it's possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

is it done by connecting the cable modem to the router by the ethernet cable?

Thats how it should work. I've seen it work for some people, and not for others. That's why I sometimes say "no, it won't work" and jsut get them to get the correct router.

Try it and see. Foxwood if he's around can prob explain why this is so better than I can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

If the router is actually an ADSL router (rather than a more generic Broadband Router), then it's WAN port is actually an ADSL "modem", not an ethernet interface. So you can't connect the cable modem into the WAN port on the router.

If you already have a router, you can get away with using a "Wireless ADSL router/gateway" by totally ignoring the WAN port, and just using the LAN side of the device as a "switch". But for this to work, you need whatever device is delivering the broadband connection (the NTL modem, in this case) to be capable of supporting multiple devices at the same time. As far as I know, the NTL modem doesn't do this.

Basically, you need some sort of "gateway device" to take the single public IP address your broadband provider gives you and share it between multiple devices on your LAN. A router does this, sharing a single IP address on its WAN port between multiple wired and wireless devices on it's LAN side. I don't think that the NTL modem does this - that's why people need to purchase routers to put between their NTL modem and their LAN if they want to share the connection. If the NTL modem doesn't do this, then the "ADSL router" is of no use in this case.

(I'm slightly confused with the original posters description of the NTL modems ports as "one for ethernet, one for usb and one for connecting to pc". What's the connection to the PC if it's not ethernet or USB? Was that a typo for connecting to the cable?)

Advertisement