Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nissan Micra for the scrapyard?

• 24-08-2006 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I was driving my 95 Micra the other day when it broke down on me. I felt a snap on the accelerator pedal after which there was no response. So I let the car came to a stop.

So now when I try to start it, it makes the usual noises but it won't start. I removed the oil filler cap and the timing chain (if it is the one you see through that opening) doesn't move at all when I try to start the car. I've been told the timing chain is broken. Could anyone please confirm this from the details I've given?

I called several Nissan garages and they've given me prices from around 600 euro (if there is no additional damage that can be caused when the timing chain breaks, according to them) to more than 1000 euro, almost what the car would be worth. I've been also told it's better to change the whole engine, less hazard. But the price is also too high.

So how much should/could I get if I sold it for parts or for somebody else to change the engine? It did drive nicely until it broke down. It has the usual scratches, 2 small bumps, all 4 tyres are fine, the spare one is brand new. It's the 1L, 3 doors, no power steering, no airbags or anything fancy. I was offered 125-150 euros but it seems rather low.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Broken timing belt/chain would normally be an end-of-life event for an old car alright. They usually cause damage to the engine when they break, and it is probably uneconomical to repair. No idea what the car would be worth for parts.

What mileage was on it when it went? Was the chain ever changed? afaik chains require regular oiling too, was this done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Why not try API or a breakers yard? A couple of hundred quid gets you a motor, and I have the number of a small garage wh'd put it in for you.

I would be loath to scrap something that's been reliable up to now.

How much more would labour cost to get the old engine out and the new one in though? Sounds like you'd soon be approaching the cost of just getting another Micra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭inigo

Thanks for the quick replies!

I don't think the timing chain was ever changed, and it certainly wasn't oiled in the last 3 years or so. The car had around 90k miles. I was given also the following estimate:

225 euro for an engine
    100 to transport it to garage
    350 to change engines

Still too much. Nobody gives any guarantees at all. They don't even know the mileage on the "new" engine. It could have more miles than ours for all I know. So I'm not risking it.

And yes, it would be a real shame to dispose of the little car, but...

Better the devil you know, though.

What colour is it? Condition?

• Advertisement

Metallic blue.

Somebody hit the car towards the front of the right wing next to the headlight once it was parked. It also had a little bump to the left of the back plate when we bought it 3 years ago. Appart from that it has fine scratches all over the body, nothing major though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Does a micra have a timing chain?
    :eek:

Yep. Most Nissans do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

inigo wrote:
    it certainly wasn't oiled in the last 3 years or so.

Good lord! :eek:

Just as well it was an old 'un.

Wait! Do you mean oilling the chain or changing the oil? Are they different things? Because I've done the latter alright!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,770 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kbannon wrote:
    Does a micra have a timing chain?
    :eek:

Yep, just like BMWs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

inigo wrote:
    Hi all.

I was driving my 95 Micra the other day when it broke down on me. I felt a snap on the accelerator pedal after which there was no response. So I let the car came to a stop.

So now when I try to start it, it makes the usual noises but it won't start. I removed the oil filler cap and the timing chain (if it is the one you see through that opening) doesn't move at all when I try to start the car. I've been told the timing chain is broken. Could anyone please confirm this from the details I've given?

I called several Nissan garages and they've given me prices from around 600 euro (if there is no additional damage that can be caused when the timing chain breaks, according to them) to more than 1000 euro, almost what the car would be worth. I've been also told it's better to change the whole engine, less hazard. But the price is also too high.

So how much should/could I get if I sold it for parts or for somebody else to change the engine? It did drive nicely until it broke down. It has the usual scratches, 2 small bumps, all 4 tyres are fine, the spare one is brand new. It's the 1L, 3 doors, no power steering, no airbags or anything fancy. I was offered 125-150 euros but it seems rather low.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Find out if it is an interferance or non interferance engine - i.e. do the valves come into the piston space. Some older cars are non interferance (older opel kadettes for example). If it is non interferance then its a matter of putting the timing belt back in the correct position. Presume this can be done with timing chain also?

The Micra has a timing chain, which doesn't need to be changed like a belt.
    I would get a second opinion on this whole thing. Go to a garage that doesn't sell cars, just repairs them.

I'd like to get that second opinion. The problem is the car is dead. I don't really want to tow it around Dublin...

So I'm going to go to a Nissan garage this afternoon without the car to ask the following question: It is possible to tell whether the timing chain is broken just by looking at it through the hole where I'd pour the oil while I attemp to start the car? So if the chain doesn't move, does this mean it's broken or can it be something else? Please, feel free to give me your opinions here.

The thing is I had a guy look at the car. He did exactly what I've written here, and decided in 5 sec that the chain was broken. A few days latter he offered to buy it for parts........

Thanks again for your comments!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

Is the engine turning over, ie making some effort to start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

inigo wrote:
    I'd like to get that second opinion. The problem is the car is dead. I don't really want to tow it around Dublin...

So I'm going to go to a Nissan garage this afternoon without the car to ask the following question: It is possible to tell whether the timing chain is broken just by looking at it through the hole where I'd pour the oil while I attemp to start the car? So if the chain doesn't move, does this mean it's broken or can it be something else? Please, feel free to give me your opinions here.

The thing is I had a guy look at the car. He did exactly what I've written here, and decided in 5 sec that the chain was broken. A few days latter he offered to buy it for parts........

Thanks again for your comments!

yes it is possible. look thru the oil cap and you will see the cam(s). get someone to turn the ignition, if you don't see the cam's move but the starter is working then there is nothing to turn them - i.e. timing belt/chain gone..

The mechanic I asked at Murphy Chambers said the same thing. Looks like it's time to bury it.

Thanks again for the help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

don't bother fixing it. it probably won't ever be right again. car isn't worth what ti would cost to fix. if you look at the right cars in the right places, you could have acar 100 times better for the cost of the repair

Advertisement