Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Housing Developments

Options
  • 24-08-2006 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭

I know this is a pretty vague question, but does anyone know if there are any new housing developments in the pipeline for any of the areas around Greystones?

thanks,
    Eoin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

I heard the other night that the land immediately behind script will have an appartment block built in it. Secondly, a new shopping centre is to be built where the current council office is. This will also incorporate appartments and maybe a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

check the planning section of www.wicklow.ie

there's always rumours and speculation floating around but if there hasn't been a planning application then its meaningless.

as discussed in another thread - Zapi apparently want to rezone the area to the south of Charlesland Grove to residential but afaik the rezoning hasn't happened yet, it would then have to go through planning, so it won't be happening anytime soon.

anyone know what's happened to the La Touche hotel plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tomflynn

loyatemu wrote:
    anyone know what's happened to the La Touche hotel plan?

Aparently the plan that was given permission included underground car parking. Go and have a look at the cove in from of the La Touche for an indication of the type of material under the hotel.....suffice to say that the La Touche Hotel site has a solid foundation.

As for any new upcoming residential development. According to the Bray People Charlesland Golf Club is next up for development. I pity those in Fairways and Seaborne View ...... You might have to rename those apartment blocks now. Sealess view?? ...perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sportbilly

The Shell station opposite the cinema is gong to have apartments built on it. I don't know what the time scale is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I saw a sugn there today saying centra was going to be open there soon. Whats the story there? wil there be another petrol station too??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

foxy06 wrote:
    I saw a sugn there today saying centra was going to be open there soon. Whats the story there? wil there be another petrol station too??

There's another one a few hundred yards up the road towards Bray. It looks like Shell have sold a load of their stations around Ireland, so they're not likely to open a new one there.

Anyhow, it looks quiet enough on the new developments front around us - will have to look further afield :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

will have to look further afield

Eoin don't say you are leaving Charlesland - At least wait until October 2007 when I come back from overseas so I at least get to meet you!!!

MrsA wrote:
    Eoin don't say you are leaving Charlesland - At least wait until October 2007 when I come back from overseas so I at least get to meet you!!!

Don't worry, I shall be very sure to meet the person who started off the entire Charlesland experience on boards.ie! We really don't want to move too far from Charlesland at all, but we really want to upgrade to a house - apartment living isn't really for us...

house selling season is about to kick off
    there's bound to be a good few going on the market in Charlesland

have you registered for cancellations in Charlesland Park?

loyatemu wrote:
    house selling season is about to kick off
    there's bound to be a good few going on the market in Charlesland

This is true, already a good few on Daft and myhome.ie - could be some competition selling as well...
    loyatemu wrote:
    have you registered for cancellations in Charlesland Park?

That's a great idea, will get on to that now, thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

At the risk of stating the obvious, have you kept an eye on the S/H house market in greystones? A lot of the smaller houses that go for sale (admittedly not that often) are better value than the new developments even taking the stamp duty into account.

On the new stuff I expect there will be some building in Kilcoole although not for a year or so possibly.

Fiachra2 wrote:
    At the risk of stating the obvious, have you kept an eye on the S/H house market in greystones? A lot of the smaller houses that go for sale (admittedly not that often) are better value than the new developments even taking the stamp duty into account.

I have indeed, not much out there at the moment, but I expect the selection to improve in the next few weeks. We would prefer an old house to a new one actually, but the stamp duty effectively takes 40K off our budget.
    Fiachra2 wrote:
    On the new stuff I expect there will be some building in Kilcoole although not for a year or so possibly.

We drove through Kilcoole last weekend, and while it is only down the road, we didn't really get a great impression from the place. We're probably spoilt with Greystones! Also, we would be hoping to make the move by early summer next year at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sportbilly

foxy06 wrote:

It is going to be a Centra. Apparently they can't get PP straight away so it will be about 2 years until they start.

I believe they need to decontaminate the site and this takes a couple of years - a taxi driver told me this though so it might be bullsh*t.

back on-topic - there's an estate-agent's billboard at killincarrig crossroads announcing some exclusive new development they're about to build there (3 & 4 bed houses).

Also while browsing around the wicklow planning site I saw a big application was recently refused for Blacklion - 142 houses just south of Blacklion Manor. The developers appealed to Bord Planala who also turned it down, but only for fairly minor reasons (location of the social-housing element within the site) so I'd imagine they'll be re-applying before too long.

http://tinyurl.com/mqvcg
    http://www.pleanala.ie/data1/searchdetails.asp?id=3572393&caseno=215837

loyatemu wrote:
    I believe they need to decontaminate the site and this takes a couple of years - a taxi driver told me this though so it might be bullsh*t.

I think this could be true, but I don't know about the length of time it takes. I'd imagine they have to be very careful around where fuel has been stored for a long period of time.
    loyatemu wrote:
    back on-topic - there's an estate-agent's billboard at killincarrig crossroads announcing some exclusive new development they're about to build there (3 & 4 bed houses).

Also while browsing around the wicklow planning site I saw a big application was recently refused for Blacklion - 142 houses just south of Blacklion Manor. The developers appealed to Bord Planala who also turned it down, but only for fairly minor reasons (location of the social-housing element within the site) so I'd imagine they'll be re-applying before too long.

http://tinyurl.com/mqvcg
    http://www.pleanala.ie/data1/searchdetails.asp?id=3572393&caseno=215837

Thanks for those links, "exclusive" is not a word I like to see when they are advertising new homes ($$$)! It's early days anyhow, probably will be Easter before we make our minds up.

I don't know if anyone else keeps track of these things, but there are a lot of places for sale in Charlesland at the moment, so competition looks pretty fierce!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

tomflynn wrote:
    Aparently the plan that was given permission included underground car parking. Go and have a look at the cove in from of the La Touche for an indication of the type of material under the hotel.....suffice to say that the La Touche Hotel site has a solid foundation.

As for any new upcoming residential development. According to the Bray People Charlesland Golf Club is next up for development. I pity those in Fairways and Seaborne View ...... You might have to rename those apartment blocks now. Sealess view?? ...perhaps

Oh, and what are the new appartments going to be called? Seabourne View-View!! Ha ha...as it happens I have the mountain view and its better than anything else going cos the sun swings round onto the apartments by 4 pm. Winters are warmer, and the panorama as the sun sets has got to be better than anything on the far side of the block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

The actual article in the Bray Times stated:

"Sources have indicated that the design company, Foster and Partners, have created a 'master plan' for the existing Charlesland Golf Club site, with the intention of integrating the site into a wider plan for the south beach area.

The plans, which are largely aspirational at present, have been greeted with some negativity by many of the local councillors, not least of whom Greystones mayor, Derek Mitchell, who has strongly objected to any proposals for large scale development in the area due to the town's lack of facilities."

My understanding of this is that they plan to integrate the GC into a new master residential development of the south beach area. Not simply build on the site of the existing golf course.

Even if these plans do eventually go ahead, it will be quite a number of years before anything happens. Just look at the North beach development for proof of this.

As much as I would like to see tasteful development in carefully selected areas of Wicklow, I really fear for the county now. If the current trend continues, then the Urban sprawl that previously stopped at Bray head will continue down the Wicklow coast to Wicklow town and maybe further. Developers will constantly look for the next prime development area. Even though the current zoning would prevent such development, it has been seen that the county council is open to change with regard this. I would suggest that intense lobbying from various interested parties will often get their way and have lands re-zoned for the good of their own bank accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

eoin_s wrote:
    There's another one a few hundred yards up the road towards Bray. It looks like Shell have sold a load of their stations around Ireland, so they're not likely to open a new one there.

Anyhow, it looks quiet enough on the new developments front around us - will have to look further afield :(

www.google.ie

Then "TOPAZ ENERGY"

Consolidate the petrol market = CONTROL

Check it out man. Little retailers of juice are going under cos the margins are tiny and the market is volatile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 setanta

FWIW*

Townpark Estates have released 2 Bed Townhouses and 3 Bed End of Terrace houses this morning in Delgany Wood - in a new development off one of the roads in Delgany Wood.

It is called "Chruchfields", prices starting at €550,000 for the 2 Bed and €675,000 for the 3 bed I think - people were queing since Friday afternoon for these houses but there were still some left at 12:00 this afternoon - this is only a 1st Phase so others will be coming on release at a later stage.

*No connection to Townpark Estates or the Woods'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Maj

Wow, in Febuary/March there were 3-bed semis on sale in Delgany Wood for €425-435K. They sold out, and at the time when I rang about the next phase the lady told me they would probably be in the high-400's, which was too high for me. I'm glad I didn't risk it now - what an increase!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Manus

The actual article in the Bray Times stated:

"Sources have indicated that the design company, Foster and Partners, have created a 'master plan' for the existing Charlesland Golf Club site, with the intention of integrating the site into a wider plan for the south beach area.

The plans, which are largely aspirational at present, have been greeted with some negativity by many of the local councillors, not least of whom Greystones mayor, Derek Mitchell, who has strongly objected to any proposals for large scale development in the area due to the town's lack of facilities."

My understanding of this is that they plan to integrate the GC into a new master residential development of the south beach area. Not simply build on the site of the existing golf course.

Even if these plans do eventually go ahead, it will be quite a number of years before anything happens. Just look at the North beach development for proof of this.

As much as I would like to see tasteful development in carefully selected areas of Wicklow, I really fear for the county now. If the current trend continues, then the Urban sprawl that previously stopped at Bray head will continue down the Wicklow coast to Wicklow town and maybe further. Developers will constantly look for the next prime development area. Even though the current zoning would prevent such development, it has been seen that the county council is open to change with regard this. I would suggest that intense lobbying from various interested parties will often get their way and have lands re-zoned for the good of their own bank accounts.
    The developement is being done with Durkans and Mc Namaras will be due to start in 2011 & will take 5 years (allegedly). There was an article in the Sunday Business Post on the 27/8/06 you can see it in the archive section in the property part titled Erotic gherkin (i kid you not) creators plan for Greystones ,there was a sketch aswell ,not on screen though.1000 to 1200 residential units with planning for 4 storeys and commercial units there was a meeting last thursday by invitation only to win over public support did any one get one I know I didnt must have got lost. In the sketch there was what looked like a mini marina on the south beach could be wrong ,at least we will have somewhere to park our yachts ahem!

P.S There is 6000 objections against the Marina on the North beach decision was to be made last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Does anyone know what development is going on the Kilcoole side of the Eden Gate roundabout? A large crane is in the process of being erected there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Site has been cleared and crane erected, which would seem to indicated multi-story appt block(s)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Mullie wrote:
    Does anyone know what development is going on the Kilcoole side of the Eden Gate roundabout? A large crane is in the process of being erected there.

As far as I know it's Eden Wood i.e. Houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Irelandscape

tomflynn wrote:

There is not necessarily reasons to be alarm yet, I think.
    According to the Bray People article (24/8/2006):

... The plan proposes little rezoning but puts in an innovative Green Corridor and future walkway along the Three Trout Stream, conservation areas in the Burnaby, Church Road, Blackberry Lane and Delgany Village. ...

From the above this may not mean that the Charlesland Golf Course is going to be extensively built up with appartment blocks.

Also, the plan is just a plan at the moment and as far as I can tell no planning application has been made yet.

Furthermore, from the Bray People article:
    The plans, which are largely aspirational at present, have been greeted with some negativity by many of the local councillors, not least of whom Greystones mayor, Derek Mitchell, who has strongly objected to any proposals for large scale development in the area due to the town's lack of facilities.

I think that as long as the Charlesland golf course remains, people from the Fairways should be ok.
    The big question of course is, will the Charlesland Golf Course still be there in a few years time? Cross your fingers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bertie

2011 is when the golf courseproject is projected to proceed .However at a meeting with the area committee of the council all councillors agreed itwas a good plan in essence. One of the developers has said that they are going to progress at a quicker pace and hope to start in the early spring of 08 ,planning wont be aproblem as the are is to berezoned in 07 new county and area development plan.800 houses arranged in crescents of 80 and 400 4 story apartments with a town centre and shopping mall.
    Yes Manus there is a little harbour planned too but this is unlikely to proceed .Also iarnrod eireann have recieved submissions from the group to rerout the railway line 1 mile inland from greystones and take out the old kilcoole station locating a new one between kilcoole and the new Eden Wood.Charlesland is proposed to get a station also.Iarnrod are very receptive to this as it is costing them afortune at the moment on anti erosion works yearly between Greystones and wicklow town.
    Zapi are coming back to charlesland to build 211 step up houses for charlesland 4 and 5 beds on an 18 acre site from the Kilcoole roundabout on jackie skellys side wrapping around the sports complex and down to the fairway.This will include a Primary school and a new Garda station.An Senior employee from one of the zapi developers told me he expects to be back in charlesland by feb or March once the area is rezoned in the area development plan in feb.To be honest I see the land along the whole of the Southern access Route developed by 2012. I watched it happen wherre I last lived.Where there were green fields in front of my old house seven years ago you now have to drive 2 miles to get to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

I doubt anything would happen as fast as that wrt to the GC lands. Even though Charlesland itself went up pretty fast over the last few years, there were still many years of planning.

As regards to Zapi builind on the land between the Fairways and Jackie Skelleys, this is nothing new. That was always pretty much the plan as far as I know. The same applies to the land of the old farmhouse lands. I would not be so against such developments as if anything is going to be built on these derilict lands, why not residential? It is not exactly out of character for the area.

The redevelopment of the GC and southbeach on the other hand would be a shame for the local area (as with the North beach). I regularly walk out along the beach and along the sides of the GC lands and it is a beautiful area with quite a lot of wildlife. If anything, it should be rezoned as a park for the town of Greystones. However, such rezoning does not earn anybody any money.

Despite all this, there is still no northbound access to the N11. I doubt Delgany residents would be happy of the extra volumes of traffic through the village!

Northbound access is about to begin next week they've started clearing the land on the far side of the n11 for the under pass there are signs up along n11 southbound after the delgany turn off giving advance warning of the work commencing.D.O.E. and N.R.A. say construction completion is due befor e the Christmas holiday.

I doubt anything would happen as fast as that wrt to the GC lands. Even though Charlesland itself went up pretty fast over the last few years, there were still many years of planning."

The planning I believe is done- its only a matter of submitting it for permission.Charlesland was submitted for planning in 2000 and recieved permission in Feb 2001

"The redevelopment of the GC and southbeach on the other hand would be a shame for the local area (as with the North beach). I regularly walk out along the beach and along the sides of the GC lands and it is a beautiful area with quite a lot of wildlife. If anything, it should be rezoned as a park for the town of Greystones. However, such rezoning does not earn anybody any money."!

The GC is already bought by developers along with another 20 acres and the council are prepared to give 20 acres they own to the development also this willingness alone shows that planning would move quickly. Access is already there look at all the round abouts through charles land there is a spur off each of them ready to provide access.

• Advertisement

Picked up the Wicklow times in Superquinn see the council have voted for 211 new houses in Charlesland ,a large shopping centre, a school and a Garda station full report in the Times seems the contact I had in zapi and posted about them being back in the spring was right after all.The houses and development 4 and 5 beds will be to the rear of The Grove and up to the old farmhouse and across the road up from jackie skellys to kilcoole roundabout.they will be of lower density than the rest of Charlesland spread out over 18 acres.

Advertisement